Oh By the way your diabetic.....

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
So that's how it started on the 9th of Jan an off the cuff comment by the Dr towards the end of my appointment to discuss my really low vitamin d levels..... it kind of did not sink in to be honest, no advise given other than I will be referred to Desmond. and take 2 of these metformin pills a day, so I don't know what my level was at or anything....

So when i got home and the shock wore off a little I started to read as much as I could on the internet and this fantastic forum, I got a Meter from Amazon and cut carbs and sugar totally... I have lost just over a stone in weight since that day in the doctors and I feel better than I have in a few years, to be honest.

I had a private blood test from Thriva done this week and my HbA1c is 64.49 but I don't know until I go back to the Dr on the 5th what I started with.

at the moment I'm testing my blood before and 2h after each meal and at the moment I'm between 5 and 7 normally but no idea if that's where I should be or ? I Guess Desmond will update me on that but i've not had a date or anything yet.

so onwards and upwards as they say !!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
at the moment I'm testing my blood before and 2h after each meal and at the moment I'm between 5 and 7 normally but no idea if that's where I should be or ? I Guess Desmond will update me on that but i've not had a date or anything yet.
Those are excellent blood sugar results. Keep up the good work.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @mattbrad Welcome. I'm not sure if you have read the new information from kind @daisy1 but that explains a great deal about testing and expected results. There are also two threads to post your first thing in the morning blood sugar results. With the before and after meals you are looking for the difference between the two.

mattbrad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meh
Hello @mattbrad Welcome. I'm not sure if you have read the new information from kind @daisy1 but that explains a great deal about testing and expected results. There are also two threads to post your first thing in the morning blood sugar results. With the before and after meals you are looking for the difference between the two.

Cool thank you, yes I have read the excellent new user information from Daisy1 but I had not seen the threads about morning blood sugar I will have a dig Thank you !!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...... I will be referred to Desmond....... I Guess Desmond will update me on that but i've not had a date or anything yet......

Don’t hold your breath, as you’ve been looking around the Forum already you’ll probably be aware that NHS dietary guidelines are generally not very helpful!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
at the moment I'm testing my blood before and 2h after each meal and at the moment I'm between 5 and 7 normally but no idea if that's where I should be or

The key is to try to keep the increase from before the meal to 2hr after you started the meal to under 2 (ideally under 1.6). Remember the meals that give the least increase, and have them more often, but stop having the meals that give the largest increase. If you post meal readings are always under 7, you are well on the way to controlling your diabetes. A 10-minute walk after a meal can help, as well as avoiding most carbs.

Long-term you should be able to get all your post-meal BG to be under 6, but that can take some time, as you need a long time with low BG and low insulin levels to remove all the fat from your liver. (Serving yourself for 8 weeks using very low caries diet shakes is a quicker way of doing it, but people tend to then undo it, as they have not learned what food to eat. Hence I think everyone should start with low-carb.)

Personally, I don't care much about my HbA1c as my 2hr post meal reading tells me a lot more and is a lot easier to monitor. It also takes at least 8 weeks for the full benefits of changes in diet to show up in an HbA1c. Think of the HbA1c as being a fire alarm, when it goes off, it tells you to look for the fire, but it does not help match fighting a fire.

Likewise, I tend to ignore morning blood sugar (fasting BG) as they will come down as the post-meal BG comes down, but they are not directly under your control. My fasting BG are still higher than my 2hr post mail BG and that is after many months of low-carb, but they are slowly coming down.

Low vitamin d levels do seem to be a factor in Type2 and may also be a much greater short-term risk then your blood sugar levels. Hence your doctor may be spending the limited time looking at the most important thing for your short-term health.

Reactions: Prem51

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Hi Matt,

Hope this info helps -

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

And welcome to our community!

Andrew

Diet doctor is great!

To the OP, Matt

Way better then then anything NHS has to offer.

Good luck! I think you need some, your doctor stating you have diabetes at the end of the appt in the manner he did and when there was no time left to discuss it or your results, speaks volumes about this gp. Absolutely useless.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
at the moment I'm testing my blood before and 2h after each meal and at the moment I'm between 5 and 7 normally but no idea if that's where I should be or ?

Hi @mattbrad and welcome to the forum. It is a shock when you are told you are diabetic and takes a bit of time to get your head around it all. But you will get a lot of good advice and support from people on here. Ask anything you want to.

You should ask your GP surgery for online access to your medical and test records. They are supposed to have been accessible online since April 2016, though some surgeries still aren't giving online access. If they aren't online ask your GP for a printout of the test results when you see him. Your HbA1c will probably be much the same as your private test result as it takes around 12 weeks for your red blood cells to be replaced.

Your weight reduction and bs self testing results are excellent. These are the NHS recommended target levels::

target levels.jpg