Oh dear!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point was that, we stuffed our faces with rubbish and ended up with diabetes. Some people watching it would have said, see, told you, even a nurse says they brought it on themselves.
Uh, no... I did exactly what my dietician told me to. "Healthy" carbs, low fat. Boom, morbidly obese and diabetic.

M

Member496333

Uh, no... I did exactly what my dietician told me to. "Healthy" carbs, low fat. Boom, morbidly obese and diabetic.

But technically, then, your dietician encouraged you to stuff your face with rubbish? :shifty:

On the wider topic - it's perhaps a matter of perspective but, in the end, the aetiology of type 2 diabetes is almost universally inappropriate dietary habits. We can point the finger of blame in any direction we wish in order to make ourselves feel better, but when the dust settles, we know it to be true because the majority can fix it or at least control it with appropriate dietary habits.

If we always ate what we eat now, most of us wouldn't be having this conversation, regardless of whose fault it is, or our 'genes'. Egos and sensitivities aside, if it looks like a spade, it's probably a spade. No point pretending any different, and I think deep down we all know it :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Pasha

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Speak for yourself, but don't tar us all with the same brush! :banghead::mad: You may have stuffed your face with rubbish, but I certainly didn't. I only ended up late in life with T2 when I was put in a position where I was expected to eat more "healthy" carbs than my ancient pancreas could eventually tolerate.
In fairness to @dawnmc I think she meant that that was what the comment could be perceived as not that we actually did.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
@Mbaker . Actually I fully understand what you meant. Apologies, I think I’ve vented certain frustrations with the forum in your direction. This wasn’t my intentions. I just feel that if I had posted the statement that you did I would have had “ feedback” or even moderation from certain individuals.
No problem, we can all rub along.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But technically, then, your dietician encouraged you to stuff your face with rubbish? :shifty:

On the wider topic - it's perhaps a matter of perspective but, in the end, the aetiology of type 2 diabetes is almost universally inappropriate dietary habits. We can point the finger of blame in any direction we wish in order to make ourselves feel better, but when the dust settles, we know it to be true because the majority can fix it or at least control it with appropriate dietary habits.

If we always ate what we eat now, most of us wouldn't be having this conversation, regardless of whose fault it is, or our 'genes'. Egos and sensitivities aside, if it looks like a spade, it's probably a spade. No point pretending any different, and I think deep down we all know it :cool:
That's just it though... "Stuffing your face" with "junk", to the general public, means basically camping out at McDonalds. It's accusatory. That "junk" turned out to be the usual dietary advice globally given to just about everyone, so i certainly didn't know any better... There's the rub. Plus, I didn't "stuff my face". I ate once, and sometimes twice a day. The mistake I made was drinking 1,5 liters of skimmed milk a day to keep the hunger at bay. But that's just it... There was no intent, nor stuffing, nor generally considered "junk". It WAS, yes. But I didn't know it. There was no intention or willfullness there, which the line I take offense to does actually imply.

Ah well. It's just semantics I suppose. Knowing what I know now... Things would've indeed be quite different.

Edited to add: I ate once or twice a day before seeing the dietician. She told me to eat more often, up to 6 times or so, and add in six slices of brown bread per day. So yeah, I messed up before she came into the picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

That's just it though... "Stuffing your face" with "junk", to the general public, means basically camping out at McDonalds. It's accusatory. That "junk" turned out to be the usual dietary advice globally given to just about everyone, so i certainly didn't know any better... There's the rub. Plus, I didn't "stuff my face". I ate once, and sometimes twice a day. The mistake I made was drinking 1,5 liters of skimmed milk a day to keep the hunger at bay. But that's just it... There was no intent, nor stuffing, nor generally considered "junk". It WAS, yes. But I didn't know it. There was no intention or willfullness there, which the line I take offense to does actually imply.

Ah well. It's just semantics I suppose. Knowing what I know now... Things would've indeed be quite different.

Edited to add: I ate once or twice a day before seeing the dietician. She told me to eat more often, up to 6 times or so, and add in six slices of brown bread per day. So yeah, I messed up before she came into the picture.

I agree but in the end it still comes down to food no matter how we choose to frame it. People say things all the time that are bound to be offensive to someone, somewhere. It's ok to be offended. The world still turns.

That's my outlook anyway :cool:

Reactions: AloeSvea