Oh My Days...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does that really pass for journalism? Shocking.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish lol. I keep reading we eat more meat (most don’t) and we’ll miss nutrients but never say which ones and why we can’t get them from elsewhere our diet. In fact I asked a dietian this week why a diabetic needs to eat carbs (specifically the starchy ones). He said we’d miss nutrients. I asked which ones and all he could come up with was b12 in fortified bread and folate. Both easily found elsewhere. I do keep an eye on magnesium too.

Reactions: Guzzler

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Never affected me like that - and I was in my early 20s when I went low carb - the only problems I ever had were when on diets prescribed for me which were the exact opposite of Keto.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always assumed that it's possible to be missing various nutrients with whatever style of eating you care to mention if you make wrong/poor/ignorant, etc, choices in what you actually choose to put in you mouth. So I'm sure someone somewhere is quite capable of creating themselves a nutritionally poor, junk food "keto" diet...and then blame it for any issues and for failing to live up to their poor choices.

Robbity

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always assumed that it's possible to be missing various nutrients with whatever style of eating you care to mention if you make wrong/poor/ignorant, etc, choices in what you actually choose to put in you mouth. So I'm sure someone somewhere is quite capable of creating themselves a nutritionally poor, junk food "keto" diet...and then blame it for any issues and for failing to live up to their poor choices.

Robbity
More difficult to eat badly on keto than with a lot of other diets though. :)