Oh Well.....

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're out travelling with work it's very akward. I am lucky in so far as I am at home. One thing I have learned is one needs time. Short regular periods of exercise appear to work very well for me. I have struggled with porridge for breakfast, always a spike, not as high as white bread but a spike nontheless, but it lingered until lunchtime. A couple of 4 min sessions on the rower though brings it down. Took me weeks to work it out though. You need time to experiement with all sorts of things and the pressure of having to be at a certain place at a certain time just doesn't allow for experiement.

DaveNN

Yep, I'll be hitting the weights and bike in a bit...the better half is just vaccing the play room ( 360kinetic, soundbar weights etc, ...) no girls allowed!
I've got a bit of gut rot, could be the meds...could be anything for that matter.

I'm just having a read up on the effects of alcohol and metformin.

I would suggest that I would be OK anyway - but will probably abstain from the meds for a few days if I'm likely to be having a bit of a lash up.

Whilst I'm no pop head, the inability to not have a drink when I feel like it would be a 'mare!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I miss toast and marmelade most of all. It's the sweetness and the crunch. But the smell of freshly toasted bread is great too.

I've thoroughly tested german style rye breads with meats and cheeses, hams and so on. I can eat all that. I can make satisfying dinners and am learning how to get porridge under control, but I do miss those simple pleasure like crumpets and toast. I make bacon and egg, with tomato and mushrooms but despair at the loss a piece of fried white bread, fried in bacon fat.

DaveNN

...whilst I can and often do eat a continental breakfast, I can't ever remember thinking..." Mmmm I could murder a continental breakfast!"

I'm going to have a go at this Bergen stuff, strawberries and when the weight drops a bit more.... a full English.
Porridge does throw me too...and those 27g " 2 minute jobbies" hardly touch the sides and have a few hundred calories.

I'm away next week in one if my favourite hotels ( balcony of my room on the 1st tee)... Their banquet breakfasts are to die for....and their bar is loaded with loads of event beverages.... This will be a tough gig!

DaveNN

It looks like the metformin, diet, weight loss and less stress are all having some positive results.
I banged in a 5.2 on my meter ( which I reckon over states by about 0.5 percentage points) straight out of bed this morning, the lowest ever, even when fasting.
My pre breakfast average is 7.6, with a deviation of 1.1 over 15 tests.
I couldn't stomach a no carb breakfast, so had a 2 minute porridge with my metformin.
An hour later I was in complete agony for about 20 mins, as I was driving it was hellish.
This was the first bad reaction to metformin ( could have been the porridge, I suppose).
I ate out for dinner ( little choice due to a business meeting) and demolished a steak, salad...and fried potato pieces (probably a full big spud in total)... I was starving!
2 hours later I banged in a 7.9, which is hardly the end if the world.
The average is 8.2, with a deviation of 1.9 over 12 tests.

Now and here's the dilemma... Do I up my dose ( as requested) to 2 x 500 mg and possibly fall off the wagon ( like I did a little today) due to complacency...or keep myself on the edge by having a lowish carb diet and stick to just the one tablet a day?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dave, keeping up with exercise, I use the rower a few times each day for 4 mins each time, and my after meal reading is very close to my pre meal reading, even with food stuffs that used to cause spikes. This has just happened in the last few days but it also coincided with another drop in weight. I had been stuck for 8 days and then dropped 3Kg in two days. Diet is basically the same, no sugary stuff and watching carbs. Those that I do have tend to be things like barley, rye, brown rice and porridge, which used to spike me worse than a pikemaster. The only thing that has changed is that I have increased the frequency of the exercise. Plenty of short sessions, rather than one big session seems to suit me. I know you like to keep active so stick with it and see if you get a leap forward in your insulin sensitivity. It took me about 6 weeks.

DaveNN

Hi,
It does really seem that things are settling down.
That said, I applaud anyone who has the sheer will power to exercise after a meal and do it time and again.
Complacency is as much as a problem than a poor diet.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's only a few mins each time Dave and I'm not pumping iron. The type of exercise I do is what I do best, sit on my backside :D It's the biggest benefit of a rower. I have a bit of arthritis in my ankle so walking makes it sore and after a few times, I'd have to rest it for a few days, which defeats the point. I wanted to try cycling but had a go and decided that at my age and poor level of fitness, I was a hazard to myself and other road users.

DaveNN

It's still a great effort.
I've been a bit too busy to exercise of late ( on the weights in a hour, just eaten dinner),
Fell off the wagon in a major way last night, seemed to crave carbs.
Ate a handful of tiny bounty bars, then Hovis crackers, then Jacobs crackers.
I expected my morning BG to be off the scale...landed a 7.2.. Which I was reasonably pleased with.
I'm now banging in 5 and 6's on a very regular basis, some reckon that the occasional binge is ok.
I'm only testing a few times a day, as I'm reasonably confident that my figs are well under control.
My next test will be to see how quickly I can knock a full point off my BG readings, by working out.
It's probably not an exact science, though we do know the calorie impact of types and duration of exercise.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:

You know you shouldn't. You'll be down the bus station late evenings cloaked under a hoodie trying to score some twix next :lol:

DaveNN

It was hellish.
The kids had quite rightly solved all the nasty stuff and the only reason why we had some bountys is because I'm the only one in the house who likes coconut!

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Aye I'm with you there Kellyfell, I've been yoyo dieting for over 25 years and still very big lady lol. since I was diagnosed T2 4 weeks ago I have stuck rigidly to a low carb diet, not a sweety has passed my lips, the only bread I have ( I love bread) is a wholemeal sandwich at lunchtime with lots of chicken salad. most evening meals I stick to meat and 2 veg (no pun intended) :lol:
Not a lick of chocolate (am serious chocoholic) Diabetes has cured of me of that.

I keep back from thinking "if only I had done the right thing before" whats done is done. Now we have to learn from the mistakes we made in the past and keep our health as best as we can.

Hope you all have a good day
vonbon1 :wave:

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
DaveNN said:

You know you shouldn't. You'll be down the bus station late evenings cloaked under a hoodie trying to score some twix next :lol:

Well...I did another massive carb binge test last night....

One mars, one galaxy ripple, 2 twirls and a pint of milk.
Expected the morning BG to be off the scale.
Came in with a 7.2.
Expected a 9 at the very least...and it to stay high for a few days (like last time),
Post meal levels are in the 6's and 7's.... Which are perfectly normal.

But...I wonder if my will power is beginning to falter, safe in the knowledge that the metformin, weight loss and exercise are keeping my BG reasonably stable.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well we all do it from time to time but I don't want to push it. I get downhearted with a 7 thesedays, the result of a nice piece of jam pastie. I shall use the experience to see if I can make a bran laden, truvia sweetened, diabetic jam version :D Your insulin sensitivity may be improving with your exercise so it may be responding better to the glucose. Normally it wouldn't stay in your system for too long anyway because you will flush excess sugar out with water if the insulin doesn't cope with it. That's why you keep running to the loo and are always thirsty and can feel a bit like you are hung over.

Lapsing back into bad old habits is certainly a worry and it is hard to keep the motivation up. I do it by cooking and sourcing the right foods. I chatted to a Pakistani bloke on the Desmond course and he was telling me about all the different flours, including wholemeal flours, for making chappatis and nans. He looked as fit as a butchers dog and was 71 years old. A very cheerful bloke. Anyway, today I tried some wholemeal Methi Rotis with a homemade chilli, nothing disasterous but I am lingering in the high sixes. But I did have two whereas I really ought to have had one and I suspect the jam pastie did me no favours.

DaveNN

Hi YM.
Funnily enough, I was only peeing like a drain for a few days.
We put this down to a bit of an infection, or a poorly prostrate, as I was peeing- then going again .
But I was fine during the night and didn't have a raging thirst.
I've also been plagued with low level ear infections for years ( had a nose job to sort this but I was warned that this would take a long time to kick in) and gave up with the anti biotics.

Without tempting providence, these have cleared up too.

The discussion in our house is whether these numerous infections have thrown up my BG levels, coupled to being a bit of a biffa!
Obviously, I will always be classed as type 2 - so it's a balancing act between ( for me) the cost of my annual travel insurance and savings on any prescriptions that I may need.
I've yet to see the DN yet, though hope that strips are prescribed...that would be a decent result.

I've popped in a 5.7 this morning, my first reading was a 9,9 ( but I squeezed my finger).
5.7 would be about 5 ( assuming that my meter's accuracy is constant- compared to the official results.

So, it looks like I've cracked it...the trick is to keep it up!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
I've popped in a 5.7 this morning, my first reading was a 9,9 ( but I squeezed my finger).
5.7 would be about 5 ( assuming that my meter's accuracy is constant- compared to the official results.

So, it looks like I've cracked it...the trick is to keep it up!

Once the 5s start coming, assuming you keep it all up, they come more frequently. You know now that you can do it. You just got to give that sugar plum fairy whispering in your ear the big elbow.

DaveNN

Yep... You are totally right.
I did it again last night...but did have some pizza which probably helped to set it off.
The agreement now is that if I get this stupid urge that I have some porridge.
That said, I still banged in a 8 this morning, which isn't too bad...and would have been happy about that a few weeks ago,

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
Yep... You are totally right.
I did it again last night...but did have some pizza which probably helped to set it off.
The agreement now is that if I get this stupid urge that I have some porridge.
That said, I still banged in a 8 this morning, which isn't too bad...and would have been happy about that a few weeks ago,

Well here's a target for you. I got a 4.7, about my 4th one in the past few days. I find good quality pork scratchings satisfy needs for snacks but, to be honest, it's so rare that I have anything sweet, I am starting to find small vine tomatoes sweet and cherries now taste like a nectar of the gods. I'm sure sugar triggers work very much like triggers that cause smokers to want to light up. Not the addiction side of things, just something that is switched on and you just think about it. It's like the sirens enticing the sailors onto the rocks.

DaveNN

I will have a go at hitting the mid 4's but...with my meter...that would be a high 3.
My calorie input is back under control as is my "attitude".
Weekends are notoriously bad for me, it goes back to me being a kid and having hot roast chicken on crusty cobs when in from the " big shop" with my late dad and my mum.
It's something that I've taken into middle age with my family and as nice as it is... I ain't good for me.

What I have notice is all the family, except the little one, have adjusted their eating and have lost weight accordingly.
The middle son has lost 3lb...but at 6ft and 13 stone he was hardly a pudding.
The better half has shed nigh on a stone in 2 weeks, without even trying.

Whilst I am still pigging out from time to time, I used to shift an entire family sized tiramassu in a matter of seconds....that takes some real effort!!!

It looks as if you are an advocate of an Atkins style diet, with the pork scratching.
If my weight loss is still stalling, then I might just give it another go.
That said, if I only lose 1lb a week I'm less likely to rebound back, as its hardly a huge lifestyle change.