Oh Well.....

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
DaveNN said:
Yep... You are totally right.
I did it again last night...but did have some pizza which probably helped to set it off.
The agreement now is that if I get this stupid urge that I have some porridge.
That said, I still banged in a 8 this morning, which isn't too bad...and would have been happy about that a few weeks ago,

Well here's a target for you. I got a 4.7, about my 4th one in the past few days. I find good quality pork scratchings satisfy needs for snacks but, to be honest, it's so rare that I have anything sweet, I am starting to find small vine tomatoes sweet and cherries now taste like a nectar of the gods. I'm sure sugar triggers work very much like triggers that cause smokers to want to light up. Not the addiction side of things, just something that is switched on and you just think about it. It's like the sirens enticing the sailors onto the rocks.

I've just banged in a 3.9 after dinner.
I didn't believe it so, did another test.. That was a 6.4... I then did another and that came in at 5.7.
The 6.4 involved a bit if facing about and probably yet more squeezing... I really need another Vlad and one that will puncture my forearms, as my fingers are shot at.
I'm more than happy with a 5.7 and will now only test twice a day max.

I've cut out all " diet" drinks and am sticking to iced water for the next few weeks..... But I could really murder a beer!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

DaveNN

Now only testing once/twice a day tops.
Banged in a 5.6 tonight and am doing a 12 hour fast and would hope that this is in the region of 5.
Had 63g of carbs today and 630 kcals, with about 50 presses on the multigym.

I've had zero nasty carb cravings today, very weird!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations. It's always encouraging to see these low figures. I get a real boost out of it. I've hit a couple of 7s in the last two days through eating a new type of bread but I doubt I'll try that one again. Fasting does dseem to work well. Did you see that programme about alternate day fasting or 5:2 fasting?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

DaveNN

Cheers and to you too.
Just done a 12 hour fast and banged in a 7.4!
That is so strange...I repeated it and got a 7.6 so it's likely to be accurate.
I can only assume that I'm dumping stuff out if my liver and will probably up my dose to 2 x 500mg a day and see what happes.

DaveNN

Whooah.... Like I have said before, I do feel a bit of a fraud and moaning Minnie when I bang in a ' high' figure ( to me) and then someone trumps it with a really high figure.
It does put things in perspective and I wish you well.

DaveNN

So..after 116 tests ( some high, some low.... Some where I had to squeeze my finger { as opposed to pulling it} and some not)
I've come in at 7.6 mmolL average with a standard deviation of 1.6.
Considering just how often I have fallen off my own self imposed wagon etc I'm reasonably pleased.
I will ask for a hca1c test next month and see how close I can get to the holy grail of circa 6%.

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a bad average figure Dave, sames as mine :thumbup:

DaveNN

Cheers Sharon!

If only ( always the way)I hadn't banged in a 13.7 and gone on some deliberate chocolate binges, creating a few 10's 11's and 12's I could be somewhere near normal now.
BUT..I have got a bit fed up-with the restrictive diet and am trying to normalise my condition.

The weight is dropping slowly..but is still dropping.
I'm now the lightest that I have been for years and do not get stressed if I ( as has happened of late) the weight loss just seems to stall.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
I will ask for a hca1c test next month and see how close I can get to the holy grail of circa 6%.

The answer to that great question of Life, the Universe and Everything as calculated by the computer, Deep Thought, was 42.

Unfortunately, no one had considered really what the question meant. The answer was indeed 42 but Deep Thought was ahead of its time and expressed the answer in terms of IFCC, mmol/mol. Had it used the convention of its time, DCCT - %, the significance of the answer, 6%, would have been immediately obvious.

Sent from the Low Carb Corner in the The Restaurant at the End of the Universe courtesy of the Infinite Improbability Drive.

DaveNN

One is showing one's age...especially if one is referring to the wireless ( as in radio) version!

Reminds me of the time that I was asked " how long is a piece of string?" When I was at school.
I got a piece of string and measured it.
It was 7.5cm...and from that day forward every piece of string is 7.5 cm!...even if it isn't.

Just been clearing out my wardrobes, have binned 3 suits and numerous pairs of trousers.
Tried on a suit that was in a dry cleaners protective cover...which I picked up 5 years back.
It fitted (properly this time) me and as its a classic black number is still in fashion!

Lost 2" on the waist and 4" on the chest ( which is a bit upsetting).... and am genuinely delighted.
So much so that I'm off for a curry to celebrate...and treat my middle lad for an outstanding game between the sticks today!

GregorDjones

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYGC6NX

Looking at helping improve the lives of diabetics (mainly type 1, but type 2's are welcome to fill out) as a diabetic type 1 i have noticed how annoying it is to carry around the different parts we have to use so as a young designer im looking at finding a solution and designing a new and improved kit.

If you have the spare time could you fill out the questions in the link above.

thanks Gregor Jones Type 1 for 15 years

Sharon68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just one complaint about the survey Gregory (which I have just completed) I am in the top age group!! :shock: I am never in the top age group, slowly creeping up but never at the top :lol:

Dave are you still shrinking??

misterdj

DaveNN said:
Hi YM.

I've popped in a 5.7 this morning, my first reading was a 9,9 ( but I squeezed my finger).
5.7 would be about 5 ( assuming that my meter's accuracy is constant- compared to the official results.

Hey guys am i being naive when it comes to my meter readings? i prick and sometimes have to squeeze to get some blood out. I just take my readings as read. I havent done repeat reading straight away. Do others do repeat readings> and does it make a difference if you squeeze? I have read the instructions and it does say it tends to over estimate.

David

DaveNN

misterdj said:
DaveNN said:
Hi YM.

I've popped in a 5.7 this morning, my first reading was a 9,9 ( but I squeezed my finger).
5.7 would be about 5 ( assuming that my meter's accuracy is constant- compared to the official results.

Hey guys am i being naive when it comes to my meter readings? i prick and sometimes have to squeeze to get some blood out. I just take my readings as read. I havent done repeat reading straight away. Do others do repeat readings> and does it make a difference if you squeeze? I have read the instructions and it does say it tends to over estimate.

David

Squeezing can skew the readings due to plasma and stuff.

Typically they are elevated.

DaveNN

DaveNN said:
Hi YM...

Well... I am literally just back from the Drs..armed with a couple of boxes of metformin.
Whilst my fasting levels are normal, my hba1c levels are definitely not...69 down from the high 70's in a matter of weeks.
Not off the scale by any means though!
I have fallen off the wagon a few times recently (chocolate) and whilst my figs didn't go above 12, they took an age ( days) to get back down to the mid 6's.
My GP had to refer to the Internet again and has come to the conclusion that metformin would be helpful in my case.
He said that if I had see him 6 months back with the same figs, he would have just gone down the diet and lifestyle route.
Now, they are more proactive.
We had a long chat on this, including me showing him my iPad diabetes app, with all my figures ( including carbs, BP, weight loss etc)
He'd never seen it and it became quite clear to him that I'm no mug and am taking this very seriously.
We had a dispute about getting strips on prescription.
He said that that the practice would not do this, so we discussed what NICE say.
He's referring me to the DN.
She'll be giving me a free meter anyway...so this appears to be a bit of a contradiction.
The doc was much more open and professional this time, which is good.
We've fired off statins etc for the moment and he wanted to out me on BP meds.
I suggested that metformin would help in both these aspects...what didn't help was me presenting a 143/93 and then a 128/84 in a matter of a few minutes.
He did state that in his opinion type 2 is more serious than 1....in respect to the fact that it doesn't present much in the way of real symptoms ( thrush and jock itch in my case!)... But it can create real and lasting damage.
I went for an eye test yesterday and all is fine.
There is zero problems with the retinas, nor any noticeable swelling with the lens'.
He won't out me on SR metformin immediately though.
I explained that my job meant hours of travelling, meetings etc.
What I didn't want to have to do was bring a commode ( or a plastic bag) into a board room, in case I suddenly had to evacuate myself.
Anyway, I've agreed to stick with them for a week and see what happens.
I'm on 500mg a day, with an increase in 2 weeks...assuming that my car or a meeting room does not end up resembling a scene from the Somme in the meantime.
However, I'm going to see how 500mg goes first- and if my figures stay in the 5 mark- I will stick at that.

So..there're we have it...I am now ( according to my doc) officially type 2.

I may just tell H.R and our fleet management people, in time.
As for life insurance, it's part of my 'package' so there is zero problems there.

Lets now see what difference metformin makes to my life and underpants drawer!

As I'm using this as my own ickle diary ( indulge me) I thought that I would put "where I am" now.

Well, just over 2 stone lighter, with none blurry vision and feel excellent.
I've potted the mega low carbing, diabetes is a condition not a prison and have pigged out loads of times...but have then corrected my calorie input the following day(s).
The weight loss has stalled..but if I only lose a lb a week that's probably better for me than dropping loads in one lump!
If I want a beer or 6 I have them... An apple juice with a fry up??... I have it....
I'm on 2 x metformin a day...sometimes more sometimes less...dependant on my mood and what I'm eating.
If I'm having a carb rich meal, then I'll take two
I've had no real side effects..and even though I may occasionally tread on a duck....I did that before taking this drug.....loudly!
I'm having my first chat with the DN in a few weeks and a follow up HBA1C next week.... No more fasting for me, as I passed them each and every time..albeit only just.
Christ only knows what that will come in with when I have it- though I would be delighted with a figure under 60.
Sure, that is high...but would be a massive drop for the high 70s only 3 months ago.

However my biggest change is that from the day of diagnosis I feel normal...and my " condition" does not stop me dong what I want, when I want to.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
DaveNN said:
I'm on 2 x metformin a day...sometimes more sometimes less...dependant on my mood and what I'm eating.

Sounds like like your doing OK :clap: :thumbup:

Re the Metformin though, Met is a drug that needs to be taken regularly and builds up to have its effect, it is no good for taking when you eat a few carbs more than normal it will have no effect on any one particular meal. Only drugs like fast acting insulin can do that :D

DaveNN

Sid Bonkers said:
DaveNN said:

Sounds like like your doing OK :clap: :thumbup:

Re the Metformin though, Met is a drug that needs to be taken regularly and builds up to have its effect, it is no good for taking when you eat a few carbs more than normal it will have no effect on any one particular meal. Only drugs like fast acting insulin can do that :D

Thank you, sir!

Sorry... I do take it..but I sometimes forget.
I do have a habit of forgetting it when I go away on business..so I now keep a strip in my wallet, as I don't go anywhere without it.
You are quite right about the drug... Though I tend to do this at night, so and in theory,MIT should help with any liver dumping.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DaveNN said:
The weight loss has stalled..but if I only lose a lb a week that's probably better for me than dropping loads in one lump!

Well that's nearly always the case. Now that I have lost 20 odd Kg my loss rate is say 2Kg every three weeks. I'm OK with that because I'm on a diet which I enjoy and which isn't an effort. Even if it took me 12 months to lose another 20 Kg, I'd still be more mobile. Just mind that you don't slip into old ways too often. Your first post in the thread referred to one pie sandwich too many :)

DaveNN

Yorksman said:
DaveNN said:

Well that's nearly always the case. Now that I have lost 20 odd Kg my loss rate is say 2Kg every three weeks. I'm OK with that because I'm on a diet which I enjoy and which isn't an effort. Even if it took me 12 months to lose another 20 Kg, I'd still be more mobile. Just mind that you don't slip into old ways too often. Your first post in the thread referred to one pie sandwich too many :)

Potato pie in a tea cake is one of life's great pleasures.... Even better if you have two!
No brown sauce...

It's quite strange, back in the day when I never had a breakfast, I could go from dawn until dusk with no food.
Now?... Christ I'm ravenous by lunchtime and am really enjoying my food..as I now tend to eat when hungry.
That seems a daft thing to say.... But I never really noticed until recently.
I've just HAD to have lunch in a local pub and was genuinely craving for a steak with salad!
BUT..that's it now until breakfast tomorrow.

What diet are you following YM?
What do you avoid and what do you eat with gay abandon?... If you don't mind me asking.