Old diabetic, new to insulin

Catmalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, not even sure how I am able to write this post, a fluke I think!

I'm approx 37 yrs diabetic, type 2. I'm 20 yrs undiagnosed I'm told, from having gestational diabetes. 18 yrs diagnosed. So many diabetic complications.

Today I started on insulin. Slow release. As well as taking my oral medications.

Question, I'm to keep the pre filled pens in the fridge, but does this include that pen that's actually in use as well?

I've been reading the leaflet and it seems to say keep them all in the fridge apart from the one currently in use?!

Can anyone advise me what to do please?!

Many thanks,

Catherine

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, not even sure how I am able to write this post, a fluke I think!

I'm approx 37 yrs diabetic, type 2. I'm 20 yrs undiagnosed I'm told, from having gestational diabetes. 18 yrs diagnosed. So many diabetic complications.

Today I started on insulin. Slow release. As well as taking my oral medications.

Question, I'm to keep the pre filled pens in the fridge, but does this include that pen that's actually in use as well?

I've been reading the leaflet and it seems to say keep them all in the fridge apart from the one currently in use?!

Can anyone advise me what to do please?!

Many thanks,

Catherine
@Catmalan ...
Hi Catherine

My ex partner was on a similar insulin....you are correct that you keep the unused ones in the fridge and the one that you are using out of the fridge and at room temperature....

....the only exception to this is if you are living somewhere where it is particularly warm or hot as insulin and its effectiveness can be affected by heat ....when we went away my partner purchased a Frio wallet which is supposed to keep the insulin within acceptable limits... www.friouk.com

Hope all goes well and any other questions, just ask....:)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, keep unused insulins in the fridge except the current one in use.

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am brand new to insulin too. I am keeping my unused in fridge and the in use ones near me. Good luck to you. Hope to see you around.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Catmalan -Hello Catherine and Welcome.:). What is the name of the Insulin you are taking? As you mentioned in your post that it is slow release! :)

Catmalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Catmalan ...
Hi Catherine

My ex partner was on a similar insulin....you are correct that you keep the unused ones in the fridge and the one that you are using out of the fridge and at room temperature....

....the only exception to this is if you are living somewhere where it is particularly warm or hot as insulin and its effectiveness can be affected by heat ....when we went away my partner purchased a Frio wallet which is supposed to keep the insulin within acceptable limits... www.friouk.com

Hope all goes well and any other questions, just ask....:)
Hi Molly, thank you, I really appreciate that!!

I have the opportunity to go on a coffee morning tomorrow but it's far away and my insulin time is 12pm, it means if I go, I'd have to take my insulin with me. I've no cooler bag, do you think it would be OK, or should I just decline?

Just not sure what to do...

Thanks,

Catherine

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Molly, thank you, I really appreciate that!!

I have the opportunity to go on a coffee morning tomorrow but it's far away and my insulin time is 12pm, it means if I go, I'd have to take my insulin with me. I've no cooler bag, do you think it would be OK, or should I just decline?

Just not sure what to do...

Thanks,

Catherine
Hi Catherine

From what I understand it is just extremes of heat that mean you need to keep the insulin in a cooler bag ....so for example if you are going away somewhere exotic and hot on holiday or in the heat of our summer here in the uk so you wouldn't leave it in a car on a hot day for example.

I would think you would be fine just to put it in your handbag and take it with you.....it is certainly not worth missing out on a social occasion just because of your insulin, so go and enjoy yourself.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow, am meeting a friend myself for coffee tomorrow ....is always good to catch up with friends...

Molly :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I just stick mine in my trouser pocket etc. It's not ideal in a hot pocket but it seems to cope. I never let the insulin stop me doing anything.