Old monitors

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just wondering what everyone does with there old monitors? I have just been given a new one but I have my old one which is perfectly fine and wondered if anyone would like it? Free of course

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was just wondering what everyone does with there old monitors? I have just been given a new one but I have my old one which is perfectly fine and wondered if anyone would like it? Free of course

Never thought about keeping one as a spare?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps I'm terribly selfish, but I would keep the old one as a spare in case you lose or break the new one (sit on it, drop down the loo, get your handbag stolen - maybe I'm just clumsy!)

Also, I think the monitors are a loss leader for the companies - they tend to give them away for free so they can get you "hooked" on the test strip (which is the bit where they make their money).

Reactions: 2 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends how old it is. The new ones are 15% accurate but older ones are only 20% accurate, and they are supposed to be stopping the manufacture of the older strips.

michaela2015

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 2 spares one in the car and one in the bedroom and my main one that's in my bag and goes with me all ways x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can donate them for poorer countries that have no healthcare - Google donating a blood glucose monitor uk and you will get a few sites

Reactions: 4 people