Omnipod lumps

jnk001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hello , i have been using an omnipod patch pump for about 7 years 5 and a half on pork insulin and for a year and a half on novorapid . Until the last month I have had little problem with lumps where the canula was. I have been using the omnipod on my arms and recently j have hard lumps that are a bit painful . I have put the last 2 at the top of my bottom , an area I havnt used before but am still getting the lumps . Can you develop a reaction to the Canulas ?

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... Can you develop a reaction to the Canulas ?
Anything is possible. If you are using Teflon cannulas, you could try switching to steel cannulas. Getting lumps suggests an absorption issue, so using longer cannulas may help too. Some people react to infusion set adhesive.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There are all sorts of people that have issues with canulas. I guess it's an allergic type reaction. Unfortunately with an Omnipod there is not a choice of switching canulas like with other pumps. Otherwise people with issues prefer steel sets I gather and certain ones can be better than others? I use the Omnipod too, but I don't have issues.

Switching your site more often sometimes helps, I know one person that has to switch daily even, otherwise she has absorption issues. Try to call your doctor to see if they have any suggestions?

Also a thought, have you tried to give yourself some shots of Novorapid to make sure it's not the different insulin that's starting to cause a problem? Some people become allergic to certain insulins too..