Omnipod

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I am reviewing options for a pump for better control. My hospital typically offers two versions but with a tube. However they can be persuaded to review options for tubless options. Omnipod is the one i am leaning towards, having two small children and an active lifestyle including martial arts and cycling I don't like the idea of having tubes hanging around.

I am also conscious of the tube at night and whislt swimming.

Is omnipod the only option for tubless? If so is it worth pursuing? Or are my worries around a tube and being connected not really a concern?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use an omnipod and I really love it. The lowest insulin denomination it goes to is 0.05 units, whereas other, tubed pumps go lower, allowing bolus and basal to be more accurate. And it delivers insulin in 0.05 amounts on a set timing that can't be speeded up. So if you are doing a decent bolus, it can take while with an omnipod.

But I have used a tubed pump and didn't find being connected at night to be an issue. I think most tubed pumps would need removing for swimming (? Not sure how many waterproof pumps are available). And you can get good pump belts to use while doing martial arts (and the rest of the time, if you can bolus by remote).

Reactions: Biekmas83
D

Deleted Account

Do you have a link to pump belts please?
I think the most common pump belt is Hid-In (if you google for it, it is obvious).
I have a tubey pump. The tube rarely gets in the way and I cycle, climb, run, ... I even wore it on a flying trapeze recently.
I usually remove my pump when swimming (and showering and bathing) and bolus every hour or so. This works fine for me although my pump is waterproof.

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
The other option for a tubeless pump is the Cellnovo.
I have used both and switched from Omnipod to Cellnovo 18 months ago.
There have been more issues with Cellnovo than the Omnipod since its launch and many diabetes departments have stopped offering it, however in my opinion when it works as it should it is an excellent option.
I have found that it is the only handset I have used that can be read in bright light so if you spend time outside certainly worth considering also unlike the Omnipod the pump can be removed if needed.
Hope all goes well whichever system you settle on.