On Jardiance 25mg

Christine2856

Hello first time posting so bear with. I am 5ft 3 and 9.4 in weight with a bmi. I have been diagnosed with type 2 for six years. I was on metformin x4 and then sitagliptin which brought my glucose levels down. However terrible indigestion so they took me off sitagliptin as the thought it was that. Still terrible indigestion and I said all along it was metformin. Now they have put me on Jardiance 25mg and said I would pee out the sugar. Felt really rough with sore throat and swollen glands yesterday so took bloods before tea time. Meter came up with 23.6 molls so checked different fingers 21.4 21.8 20.4. Testing before I went to bed 18.9 and felt rough. Fasting level first thing this morning is 10.6 so decided to leave off the tablet as just dehydration me. Docs closed and awaiting a reply from answer machine at diabetic clinic. This is getting me down as I don’t understand what to do if you have a hyper rather than a hypo. Thanks in advance.

Christine2856

I haven’t had mince pies, Xmas cake etc if that’s what you mean. I eat lots of veg and meat and try to keep carbs limited. Not exercising much as my eyesight is always bad when levels high.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello first time posting so bear with. I am 5ft 3 and 9.4 in weight with a bmi. I have been diagnosed with type 2 for six years. I was on metformin x4 and then sitagliptin which brought my glucose levels down. However terrible indigestion so they took me off sitagliptin as the thought it was that. Still terrible indigestion and I said all along it was metformin. Now they have put me on Jardiance 25mg and said I would pee out the sugar. Felt really rough with sore throat and swollen glands yesterday so took bloods before tea time. Meter came up with 23.6 molls so checked different fingers 21.4 21.8 20.4. Testing before I went to bed 18.9 and felt rough. Fasting level first thing this morning is 10.6 so decided to leave off the tablet as just dehydration me. Docs closed and awaiting a reply from answer machine at diabetic clinic. This is getting me down as I don’t understand what to do if you have a hyper rather than a hypo. Thanks in advance.

Hi Christine, I think you are doing the right thing by calling the Drs. If your levels had still been in the 20s this morning I would have been contacting 911 for advice. Do you have the means to test for ketones when your levels are this high? You are right, almost nothing is said about what a type 2 should do when their levels are very high. You may think, oh, exercise but I was told NOT to exercise if my levels were over/ around 16, don't know if it's the same for type 2 as I don't really know the reason why other than it may make them go higher. Please make sure you persevere, it may be you are becoming ill with something too. Good luck, xx.

Christine2856

What does your diet consist of?
Hi Christine, I think you are doing the right thing by calling the Drs. If your levels had still been in the 20s this morning I would have been contacting 911 for advice. Do you have the means to test for ketones when your levels are this high? You are right, almost nothing is said about what a type 2 should do when their levels are very high. You may think, oh, exercise but I was told NOT to exercise if my levels were over/ around 16, don't know if it's the same for type 2 as I don't really know the reason why other than it may make them go higher. Please make sure you persevere, it may be you are becoming ill with something too. Good luck, xx.
Haven’t been told how to test for ketones. Not sure what that is.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven’t been told how to test for ketones. Not sure what that is.

Very basically, the presence of ketones along with a high glucose level COULD be very dangerous as your body (being unable to use the glucose due to lack of insulin) starts to burn fat for energy which forms the ketones. It's a lot more complicated than I could explain so google it. It's less common in type 2s but it can still happen. x

Christine2856

Very basically, the presence of ketones along with a high glucose level COULD be very dangerous as your body (being unable to use the glucose due to lack of insulin) starts to burn fat for energy which forms the ketones. It's a lot more complicated than I could explain so google it. It's less common in type 2s but it can still happen. x
Thank you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know whether you are slim and/or have lost weight unexpectedly recently. If so you could be T1/LADA and not T2; mis-diagnosis is common. Apart from keeping the carbs way down there isn't a lot you can do but if you stay in the 20s you may need to go to A&E if you feel unwell. Your problems with the tablets will almost have been the Metformin and not Sitagliptin. Metformin SR (Slow Release) is much better. The GP may want to add Gliclazide which can help a lot but if you are T1 then it will eventually stop working. If you are not overweight do ask the GP for the two T1 tests.

Christine2856

Hi. Can you let us know whether you are slim and/or have lost weight unexpectedly recently. If so you could be T1/LADA and not T2; mis-diagnosis is common. Apart from keeping the carbs way down there isn't a lot you can do but if you stay in the 20s you may need to go to A&E if you feel unwell. Your problems with the tablets will almost have been the Metformin and not Sitagliptin. Metformin SR (Slow Release) is much better. The GP may want to add Gliclazide which can help a lot but if you are T1 then it will eventually stop working. If you are not overweight do ask the GP for the two T1 tests.
I am slim and don’t eat **** food. The metformin was slow release. What are the type one tests I need to ask for?