On the borderline but struggling with symptoms

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Starting in January, I noticed I was feeling more run down than usual, quite tired and just feeling not totally myself. Work was really stressful and I sort of blamed it on that. By early March it was getting harder to ignore so I booked an appointment with the GP who recommended some blood tests as I suspected I might be low in iron. Because of my family history of diabetes, the doctor also requested an hbA1c test as well. Then, before I could get the test done, the Coronavirus pandemic hit and I wasn't able to do the test until just this past week.

Since it's probably relevant, I'm mid 30s, female, pescetarian and very overweight.

Between January and getting the test done last week, I started to notice things changing. My lower legs started to get incredibly itchy, I started noticing I was getting up to pee in the middle of the night four or five times. I started feeling even more tired to the point where just going up the steps to my flat left me winded. I started feeling thirsty but no matter how much I drank it wouldn't go away. Most frustratingly, for the past three or four weeks, I feel constantly constantly hungry.

I'm sure all of those symptoms sound familiar to a lot of you. I didn't realise what they were adding up to until I got a call from my GP this week to let me know that my hbA1c test came back with an mmol of 48. I was told this was past the 'borderline' of prediabetes and was actual diabetes. The healthcare assistant who called me to tell me this gave me some basic information but I was so surprised I didn't really say much back to her. After thinking about it more and doing some research, I thought I'd call back to tell her about the symptoms I was experiencing and how it worried me. I was able to speak with a GP the following day but she seemed really not very worried about anything.

I'm concerned. I don't know what usually happens when people get diagnosed and I realise that my test results aren't terrible. I was still surprised though that when I asked about possible further tests to get a definite diagnosis it was very clearly a no from my GP. These symptoms are really frustrating. I'm exhausted to the point that it's impacting my ability to work and I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to lose weight if I'm constantly ravenous.

What can I do? At this point they (the doctor and the healthcare assistant) don't seem to even be that keen on saying I have diabetes. But I figure, if I have the symptoms, and the one test I did have seems to suggest I do, then... should I proceed as if I do? And if I do... what next?

Appreciative of any advice... I have found all of this very overwhelming (and distressing).

Reactions: KB1978 and Sylve

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever label you do or don’t get you are clearly feeling less than your best and have levels higher than desirable. So here’s a chance to take control and turn a lot of things around, hopefully including all these symptoms. It is perfectly possible to make a lot of improvements in a relatively short time, mostly by addressing what you eat - and spoiler alert it’s probably not in the way you think. It’s about lowering carbohydrates and increasing proteins and real natural fats.

have a read of the links below and come back and ask any questions you have.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/all-the-things-i-wish-i’d-been-told-at-type-2-diagnosis.173817/

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I think if you have any concerns then you should consider buying a meter and start testing regularly. If the readings are high try reducing your carbs. I think this advice works whether or not you are diabetic and the worse case is that you find that your readings are all in the normal range. The best case is that you find you have a problem with carbs and start fixing that sooner rather than later.

I personally think that going low carb can be good for everyone (not on medication to lower blood sugars) as I suspect at this point in history carbs are much more available then in the past.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Starting in January, I noticed I was feeling more run down than usual, quite tired and just feeling not totally myself. Work was really stressful and I sort of blamed it on that. By early March it was getting harder to ignore so I booked an appointment with the GP who recommended some blood tests as I suspected I might be low in iron. Because of my family history of diabetes, the doctor also requested an hbA1c test as well. Then, before I could get the test done, the Coronavirus pandemic hit and I wasn't able to do the test until just this past week.

Since it's probably relevant, I'm mid 30s, female, pescetarian and very overweight.

Between January and getting the test done last week, I started to notice things changing. My lower legs started to get incredibly itchy, I started noticing I was getting up to pee in the middle of the night four or five times. I started feeling even more tired to the point where just going up the steps to my flat left me winded. I started feeling thirsty but no matter how much I drank it wouldn't go away. Most frustratingly, for the past three or four weeks, I feel constantly constantly hungry.

I'm sure all of those symptoms sound familiar to a lot of you. I didn't realise what they were adding up to until I got a call from my GP this week to let me know that my hbA1c test came back with an mmol of 48. I was told this was past the 'borderline' of prediabetes and was actual diabetes. The healthcare assistant who called me to tell me this gave me some basic information but I was so surprised I didn't really say much back to her. After thinking about it more and doing some research, I thought I'd call back to tell her about the symptoms I was experiencing and how it worried me. I was able to speak with a GP the following day but she seemed really not very worried about anything.

I'm concerned. I don't know what usually happens when people get diagnosed and I realise that my test results aren't terrible. I was still surprised though that when I asked about possible further tests to get a definite diagnosis it was very clearly a no from my GP. These symptoms are really frustrating. I'm exhausted to the point that it's impacting my ability to work and I don't know how I'm ever going to be able to lose weight if I'm constantly ravenous.

What can I do? At this point they (the doctor and the healthcare assistant) don't seem to even be that keen on saying I have diabetes. But I figure, if I have the symptoms, and the one test I did have seems to suggest I do, then... should I proceed as if I do? And if I do... what next?

Appreciative of any advice... I have found all of this very overwhelming (and distressing).
You've already been given the link to the Nutritional Thingy, but just wanted to chime in and say it will be alright. Few of us got any actual guidance when diagnosed. Sometimes I think doctors/practices are just numb to diabetics now because there's so many of us. Seems like nothing to them, run-of-the-mill even, but to us, it's a life-changing diagnosis. So everything you're feeling right now is normal. The confusion, the fear, the grief. But that's where we come in. We've been there and we know how to tackle this. ;) Change your diet, kick your blood sugars back to where they should be, and live a happy, healthy life. Without that constant fatigue dragging you down. It does get better. You have a say in this.
Hugs,
Jo

Gleny

Hi everyone,

Hi there
I was diagnosed around 8 weeks ago i a little over weight but not morbidly obese.My weight dropped like a stone from 14 to under 12 stone which was a little dramatic.I felt very unwell lethargic and tired.your level was very high at 48.As was mine so high I didn’t as my GP how high.you will now have a very good reason to lose weight .it will make life much easier to control your blood glucose level.if that is confirmed of course ,!
Regards
Glenn

gerryat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Statins can often raise blood sugar levels. Many here refuse them for that reason and other side effects. Also they seem to be given out like smarties regardless of individual specific need just because of a diabetes diagnosis. Plenty of info in here to inform you about the controversy. Do a search on Cholesterol and statins for bulk bikers thread.

I have been on statins for over 15 years, ever since I had a couple of heart stents fitted, but the thing I dont understand is why is it only now that I seem to have developed this problem...this has been made worse by the fact that I have always been aware of high sugar (although there is nothing in my family to suggest a sugar issue), but due to this occasional low sugar levels that I have experienced for over 30 years., but only the odd time. Nothing has ever been done. I originally bought an Accucheck meter, and it always reported very low readings when I felt sweaty and shaky. But that unit was discontinued last year and having run out of tests strips (no longer available) I had to buy a new machine which I did 2 weeks ago, and this is where I am really surprised by the different results I now get with this new TEE2+ machine. For example today all started reasonably well with first reading at 5.9, had lunch of a salad sandwich at 2pm and took a reading at 4pm which came in at 9.4....went for 2 mile walk and during walk started to feel tired and almost to point of giddy, assumed sugar level was going low and when I got home at 6pm took reading and it was 4.2.....now just had evening meal of cottage pie, and veggies, followed by a small ice lolly and a glass of beer.....reading at 7pm, so maybe 40 mins after eating and have recorded the highest reading I have ever seen at 21.6..
Will take it again at 9pm and see what has happened

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there
I was diagnosed around 8 weeks ago i a little over weight but not morbidly obese.My weight dropped like a stone from 14 to under 12 stone which was a little dramatic.I felt very unwell lethargic and tired.your level was very high at 48.As was mine so high I didn’t as my GP how high.you will now have a very good reason to lose weight .it will make life much easier to control your blood glucose level.if that is confirmed of course ,!
Regards
Glenn
Could you amend your profile to show if you were diagnosed type 1 or 2. Sudden weight loss sometimes indicates type 1. Hb1ac of 48mmol is the start point for diabetes so actually the lowest point a person can be diagnosed not “very high” as you state. Perhaps you are confusing this with the blood glucose level which ideally is single figures but in the 20’s is potentially dangerous And most meters just read hi or high much beyond high 20’s. Weight loss results when diabetes is controlled as much as the other way around. T2 Diabetes causes weight gain and makes loss difficult until levels are controlled.

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Olive
I too felt ghastly with similar levels, didn't have the thirst but hunger and exhaustion definitely. Plus heavy legs, itching, stomach issues, sad/depressed mood, irritability.....just loads of stuff. After reading around on this site, Jason Fung, Dr David Unwin etc I switched to low carb and felt significantly better in three days. Been at it a year now and wouldn't go back to previous way of eating which was "healthy" eatwell guide based. I've lost 10kg and not been hungry at all.
You are not imagining that you feel bad! Hope you feel better soon.:)

Last edited:

gerryat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
i did start a post:

Waiting on HbA1c result
But only one reply so joined in this and it has just rolled on a bit
Still no results from test done a week ago, so cantg really add to my own post as yet.

Olive_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all your lovely and helpful responses. I've taken a few days now to try and process this whole thing. The nutritional thingy (especially number 3 - the whole it isn't your fault part) has been really helpful. It's been incredibly tempting to blame myself but I also know that after a bad back injury things really started to change for me in a negative way. Medication I was prescribed to treat the nerve pain caused weight gain, limited mobility made it hard to stay active, I was later diagnosed with hypothyroidism which also caused weight gain... it's been very frustrating and this really felt like being kicked whilst already down

Things are different now though!

I'm starting to find it easier to remind myself that this is okay, I can manage it, and I'll probably learn a lot which is exciting for a big nerd like me. Basically, I just wanted to come back to this thread to give everyone a great big thank you. When I posted my original post I had spent the entire day really upset and things have really turned around.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't tell you all how much I appreciate all your lovely and helpful responses. I've taken a few days now to try and process this whole thing. The nutritional thingy (especially number 3 - the whole it isn't your fault part) has been really helpful. It's been incredibly tempting to blame myself but I also know that after a bad back injury things really started to change for me in a negative way. Medication I was prescribed to treat the nerve pain caused weight gain, limited mobility made it hard to stay active, I was later diagnosed with hypothyroidism which also caused weight gain... it's been very frustrating and this really felt like being kicked whilst already down

Things are different now though!

I'm starting to find it easier to remind myself that this is okay, I can manage it, and I'll probably learn a lot which is exciting for a big nerd like me. Basically, I just wanted to come back to this thread to give everyone a great big thank you. When I posted my original post I had spent the entire day really upset and things have really turned around.
I'm so happy for you, that you're finding your way. :) Be gentle with yourself eh, you're rocking this.

mouseee

Your hba1c of 48 is really fixable quite quickly. Jo's nutritional thingy is what i basically used to more than half my hba1c of 101in 6 months.
Lockdown hasnt helped though and I think its probably creeping up. However, none of the horrific symptoms from before diagnosis so I'm hopeful it hasnt gone too high.
This is where I learnt my low carb knowledge and where I got the support to help do that.