1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

One for the ladies - coming off contraception... help!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by sophc, May 23, 2020.

1. sophc

sophc Type 1 · Active Member

Hi all , I’m hoping someone can help as my erratic sugars are really getting me down.

I’m 32 and have been diabetic since I was 5. Since I was 16 , I was on the mini pill , and when using this I didn’t have periods at all. I use an omnipod insulin pump and my hba1c is 51 so I’m fairly well controlled

I decided in March this year to come off contraception as it was giving me unpleasant side effects. My periods returned and are regular , but the week of my period I am having awful lows.

From day 1 of my period my insulin requirements drop dramatically! I’ve been trying a -50% basal reduction , reducing my carb ratios from 9g to 15g and I can’t seem to get on top of these constant lows. It’s now day 5 and it’s not easing up :(

As I haven’t ever had periods in 15 years I feel like I’m learning from the beginning , is this normal ? If anyone has any recommendations I would really welcome any guidance or support as this is misery!

Thank you from a frustrated hormonal , hypoing type 1! X

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @sophc yes it is quite common with females who are menstruating, and yes it’s an absolute pain - I got really hung up on it at one point and ended up having a rather heated discussion with a male GP who was adamant that hormones wouldn’t affect my t1 :banghead: Another GP recommended a partial hysterectomy but I wasn’t prepared to go through that. I get massive insulin resistance in the days leading up and then as soon as my period starts my resistance disappears and I fight hypos, it’s not even consistent each month either so not even something I can plan for, I don’t have any solutions except extra vigilance with testing and making basal adjustments where required or add a basal pattern for this event to change settings quickly to manage the event more easily.

3. sophc

sophc Type 1 · Active Member

Hello @Juicyj ! Thank you , it’s reassuring to know I’m not alone with it, as when I’ve read online it seems people mainly experience the opposite affect. The last few months weren’t as bad as this , it’s just hit me from nowhere. Thank you , at least I know it’s not just me, being a woman is certainly not fun at times xx

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook