One for the ladies (sorry guys)

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi ladies, so at 39 I have just found out I am peri menopausal.. hurayyyy as if I do t have enough going on. Altho it explains a lot, mood swings, irregular periods, and all the other fabulous stuff, I always put any ailments down to been diabetic. fsh levels are elevated after 2 blood tests and I have a doctors appointment on Monday. Just wondered if anyone has gone through this, how was your sugars? My mood swings are the worst of the worse, just hearing people breath lately makes me want to scream at them. I knew something was not right a while ago and my doctor says I was too young. I persisted and turns out I’m right. I’ve heard diabetic people tend to start earlier than most. Anyway, anyone’s stories, remedies, how was your blood sugars,oh and any anger management control are more than welcome.My mom told me Devina McCall has just done a documentary about it so that’s on tonight’s watch list, she says it’s extremely interesting for anyone else who is interested x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ladies, so at 39 I have just found out I am peri menopausal.. hurayyyy as if I do t have enough going on. Altho it explains a lot, mood swings, irregular periods, and all the other fabulous stuff, I always put any ailments down to been diabetic. fsh levels are elevated after 2 blood tests and I have a doctors appointment on Monday. Just wondered if anyone has gone through this, how was your sugars? My mood swings are the worst of the worse, just hearing people breath lately makes me want to scream at them. I knew something was not right a while ago and my doctor says I was too young. I persisted and turns out I’m right. I’ve heard diabetic people tend to start earlier than most. Anyway, anyone’s stories, remedies, how was your blood sugars,oh and any anger management control are more than welcome.My mom told me Devina McCall has just done a documentary about it so that’s on tonight’s watch list, she says it’s extremely interesting for anyone else who is interested x
keeping my blood sugar levels as stable as possible was a huge help for me with the mood swings. I have recently finished menopausal swings, hot flushes etc. I found that, even when my periods stopped, I still had monthly mood swings, and PMT - which I hadnt expected, for several years. Do you monitor your monthly (Or not so monthly) cycles?

Something to watch out for, as you are so young, is bone density and the risk of osteoporosis. Get the GP onto checking and monitoring this asap.

From perimenopause to complete stopping of symptoms was around 9 years for me, coinciding with my type 2 diabetes diagnosis. My actual periods stopped after 3 years of perimenopause, during which time my periods got more erratic, and so did my moods. Once I recognised how important blood sugar levels were, things got a lot better.

I had ups and downs, just like with my monthly cycle, but I rode the waves, knowing hormones are hormones, and I can only do what I can to stabilise them. I found it is rather like teenage/puberty, but at the other end of fertility. Having a teenager going through the same at the same time got rather 'interesting' sometimes.

Reactions: Dudette1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a similar age to you when I started the menopause. (perimenopause wasn't invented in those days and there were no tests for it). I suffered the same things - mood swings etc. My periods more or less stopped straight away. My GP put me on HRT because of my young age. I took HRT for 8 years without any issues. It cured me of all the nasties. No more mood swings or anything else, and I kept my youthful skin and other things that can drop south post menopause. I hasten to add I was not diabetic in those days. I was diagnosed with T2 about 25 years later.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
keeping my blood sugar levels as stable as possible was a huge help for me with the mood swings. I have recently finished menopausal swings, hot flushes etc. I found that, even when my periods stopped, I still had monthly mood swings, and PMT - which I hadnt expected, for several years. Do you monitor your monthly (Or not so monthly) cycles?

Something to watch out for, as you are so young, is bone density and the risk of osteoporosis. Get the GP onto checking and monitoring this asap.

From perimenopause to complete stopping of symptoms was around 9 years for me, coinciding with my type 2 diabetes diagnosis. My actual periods stopped after 3 years of perimenopause, during which time my periods got more erratic, and so did my moods. Once I recognised how important blood sugar levels were, things got a lot better.

I had ups and downs, just like with my monthly cycle, but I rode the waves, knowing hormones are hormones, and I can only do what I can to stabilise them. I found it is rather like teenage/puberty, but at the other end of fertility. Having a teenager going through the same at the same time got rather 'interesting' sometimes.

I monitor my cycle and I can go anywhere from not having a period for 54 day to 13 days to been on a period for 8 days come off for 3 days and I’ve not had one for 30 days. I’m keeping my blood sugars under control, I’ve noticed they are sometimes in the low 8’s even though I haven’t changed my diet, I’m still low carb. I thought it was stopping smoking causing my bloods to be erratic but I think I can see what the problem is. Long as they don’t go any higher I will be happy. Thank you for the advice

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I'm peri-menopausal as I'm still relatively regular (between 26 &31 days), but the PMT I had as a teenager is back at 46, so I'm definitely heading that way, I find evening primrose helps keep me more under control. I don't know whether it's still on the market, but back in the 80's a very progressive GP recommended a supplement call efamol which was EP and I think magnesium that helped a lot (I was absolutely evil). Isn't mother nature wonderful ;)

1970clea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 36 when it started and coincidentally (or not) the diabetes was diagnosed when I was 40 - now 51 it is just over 2 years since my last period although I was only getting about 3 in a year for a few years before that - all symptoms apart from hot flushes have ceased and they are less than they were. I had a Mirena coil which seemed to set it all off the first time - once that was out I had a couple of years where everything went back to normal and then it all started again about a year or so on. FWIW the symptoms and hormones were much much worse when I was in the Mirena induced part I had to use HRT just to stop myself from injuring those around me - the rage was bad!! But the second phase was more manageable - no HRT required. Also FWIW the doctors scoffed at my suggestion that the Mirena had anything to do with it but I am convinced.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Thanks for the information guys, it’s really helpful. the rage for me is the worst, I’m snapping at everything but I can’t stop myself i feel awful. Isn’t it lovely, as a girl best days of your life are up to 13 then it’s periods, babies, rest of your life on a diet, crying, boys, work and motherhood and just when you think I’m due a rest, here’s the menopause for another 10yrs

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the information guys, it’s really helpful. the rage for me is the worst, I’m snapping at everything but I can’t stop myself i feel awful. Isn’t it lovely, as a girl best days of your life are up to 13 then it’s periods, babies, rest of your life on a diet, crying, boys, work and motherhood and just when you think I’m due a rest, here’s the menopause for another 10yrs
Yep. I'm coming back as a man (if I can’t come back as a cat that is)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing I learnt, never having suffered from PMT until the start of menopause when it took me a while to realise that THIS is what PMT was, is to just stop and ask yourself, ‘is it the hormones’ whenever you are over-reacting, feeling blue or just generally being irrational. It usually was, for me. And while acknowledging that doesn’t stop the feelings at least you know they are not a real reflection of your life at that moment and will pass in a day or two.

And once you arrive at the glorious sunlit uplands of full menopause, no more periods... hurrah for that.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
One thing I learnt, never having suffered from PMT until the start of menopause when it took me a while to realise that THIS is what PMT was, is to just stop and ask yourself, ‘is it the hormones’ whenever you are over-reacting, feeling blue or just generally being irrational. It usually was, for me. And while acknowledging that doesn’t stop the feelings at least you know they are not a real reflection of your life at that moment and will pass in a day or two.

And once you arrive at the glorious sunlit uplands of full menopause, no more periods... hurrah for that.

The temper and lows aren’t nice at all, I’m looking forward to the no more periods definitely, but they are so sporadic it makes me more anxious wondering when or if it is going to show itself. I’m telling myself it’s the hormones and to remember I am sane (I think) there will be good and bad days l, I’m just really not enjoying the bad ones at the moment. Makes me wish I could go take it out on all the people I actually dislike instead of my friends saying hello and me wanting to pull the door off the hinges

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The temper and lows aren’t nice at all, I’m looking forward to the no more periods definitely, but they are so sporadic it makes me more anxious wondering when or if it is going to show itself. I’m telling myself it’s the hormones and to remember I am sane (I think) there will be good and bad days l, I’m just really not enjoying the bad ones at the moment. Makes me wish I could go take it out on all the people I actually dislike instead of my friends saying hello and me wanting to pull the door off the hinges
I wrestle with a pillow : ) Have some hugs.