One to watch!

D

Deleted Account

I did feel immensely proud of him when I was watching the Ireland match at the weekend knowing he has type 1.

I loved the quote in your article" “It’s not something that makes you run slower, or be able to lift less weight. Don’t ever think, oh, I’ve got diabetes – I can’t run this race, I can’t lift this weight, play that match. It shouldn’t affect your physical capabilities."

I almost feel as if it should be in all material for people newly diagnosed with type 1 as there is often so much fear, especially around exercise.

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow I saw that game and he is a inspiration to T1 and article should be featured more
I do alot of walking at the weekend with a few drinks and had a few hypos. But it's about how to combat it and now I have it sorted so I don't hypo. Jelly babies are a life savour at weekends and I haven't used them at all in January.

I have come to terms now that T1 shouldn't restrict me and got it out of my head now. Life goes on.

Reactions: Sue192 and Juicyj

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Inspirational realtime anecdote. The variables for elite level performance are hard enough, having another area of expertise to manage, is like having to work 2 full-time jobs - he is exceptional.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
We have a local rugby player here - Chris Pennell at Worcs Warriors, I saw him speak last year and he was also truly inspirational https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/get-inspired/36225872

The most incredible thing about exercise for me as a type 1 is that it allows me to be me without having to think about my type 1, as long as i've checked my BG before I head out, switched on my my temp basal and got my glucotabs safely stored then it's off I go, I just started off gently worked out how my body responded and have built up my distance and duration from there, I still come unstuck at times, but it's all a learning curve, putting barriers up against exercise is the easiest thing you can do, sometimes it's as simple as just getting out there and doing it.

Reactions: Sue192