One Year since Diagnosis, A year of change

Buzz 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After a very stressful 2016 I entered the first weeks of 2017 not well at all, an unquenchable thirst, rapid weight loss 1 to 2 inches across my whole body (scary enough but for a body builder well, enough said) I ended up in hospital blood pressure 211\140, HbA1c 138, BG 34, Pancreas working between 1-2%. Diagnosed with possible Type 1 Diabetes and put on insulin plus BP tablets. Scared would have been an understatement, joined this forum \ group and absorbed as much information as possible and still do, so I will say a big thank you to all of you for that.
The best information that I received in those first couple of weeks came from a work colleague who has had Type1 since childhood and it has been a bit of a mantra for me, " Its your diabetes unique to you, it may be the same type but what works for me may not work for you, you need to find what works for you and move forward"
I changed my diet moving towards a HFLC diet (reducing my overall weight and waist size and retaining muscle) and joined a local diabetes research program.
Fast forward to June 2017 with very stable BG 4 to 5 HbA1c 43, my hospital consultant decided to carry out a couple of extra tests and I was taken off insulin and moved to Metformin (more research and learning by me) Pancreas now working at 75% new diagnosis Type 2 \ prediabetic range. My next three HbA1c have been 41,43,45, my morning BG fluctuating between 4.1 to 6.2 and then in the 5's the rest of the day.
Had my appointment with the consultant last week and have now been signed off with the hospital (for now) and moved solely to the GP clinic (who have worked with me throughout anyway and asked about my diet :)).
My new challenges for 2019 are to come off Metformin and to go into remission, but more importantly not to fall off the wagon and crash n burn again.
Apologies for the long post, but thought I would share and once again I would like to say thank you for all the excellent advice on here.
Stay positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponchu
D

Deleted Account

Great story. It's wonderful to see your dedication ... I guess body building needs some of that.

Out of interest, do you know why the initial diagnosis was type 1?
I am getting the impression it is a little random although perhaps my diagnosis is a hint: "you're too thin to have type 2 so it must be type 1". They were right in my case but I read so many examples of when they were not although usually the other way around.

Ooo - you may want to change your profile as it says "type 1"

Buzz 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great story. It's wonderful to see your dedication ... I guess body building needs some of that.

Out of interest, do you know why the initial diagnosis was type 1?
I am getting the impression it is a little random although perhaps my diagnosis is a hint: "you're too thin to have type 2 so it must be type 1". They were right in my case but I read so many examples of when they were not although usually the other way around.

Ooo - you may want to change your profile as it says "type 1"

Buzz 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, yes I will change the profile.
The consultant said, he thought it was the correct diagnosis at the time and it allowed my pancreas to recover.

Reactions: Ponchu

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a journey! Bit of a white knuckle ride for you but looks like the ride has stopped now and things have calmed down.

Well done. Your hard work has paid off!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Buzz 2! After a rough start you have emerged with some fantastic results. Keep up the good work!

Buzz 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What were they.. ?
Sorry for the delay in replying, I missed your question. I don't actually know what the tests were, he didnt say and I didnt ask.
I was asked to increase my BG by consuming jelly babies and glucose drink and half hour later with BG of 15 he took more blood and the next thing I heard was when he phoned me a week or so later.