Only a self-pitying moan

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I have been doing well, managing with smaller portions of spuds, rice etc without it causing too much grief. I definitely feel better for it, without a doubt.

I have had more than a week of a nasty chest infection and am back on the steroids, had a bit of stress elsewhere and did my usual thing of turning to food to drown it all out. I have hit the fruit, bread and crisps big time and tonight am sitting here with my hands covered in itchy red weals, I have discovered that when I have eaten what I shouldn't, this very obvious result always happens which I assume is down to raging high bg's. And my feet are itching. And I smell of Vaporub. And I have just rubbed my eyes with the same hand I used to apply the Vaporub.

Bl**dy hell. :( Two days of blow out and this is the consequence, pffft.

BUT - once upon a time (ok, a couple of months ago) this would have sent me spinning off course..guilt at the lack of self control, failure to deal with the guilt, more food to drown out guilt and to show I don't REALLY care anyway (when of course I do), more food to drown out the result of more food..then exhaustion. It could go on for weeks. This time it has gone on for 2 days. Today so far I have had (gulps and :oops: at the public confession)..Two slices of toast, dry roasted peanuts, home made beefburger with boiled potatoes (2) and runner beans, packet of Wotsits, tangerine and some grapes, a little bit of choc, 2 packets of McCoys, a slice of crusty bread and cheese (toasted) and a half a slice of Walnut cake.

Welcome to the world of the professional comfort eater - I can say hand on heart that the only thing I really enjoyed was the toast, fruit and beefburger meal. The rest was just drowning out fodder.

I'm having roast beef tomorrow. I am looking forward to my one roastie, my one small yorkie pud, my small amount of beef and my load of spring greens and cauli.

I am looking forward to feeling well again on the diet I know makes me feel good. I wish I could kick the other comfort habit but I honestly think I am getting there, 2 days of damage is better than 2 weeks of damage isn't it?

LB (picking herself and dusting herself off again) x

PS. Thanks for putting up with my occasional whinge fests, I know there are people here who understand what I go through and that makes all the difference.

A

Anonymous

Awwwwwwwww Ladybird. I am a terrible comfort eater too. Why don`t we want to stuff ourselves silly with lettuce? At least you have come out the other side in one piece. Hugs to you x

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
You are a very remarkable lady Ladybird what a brilliant post an inspiration to everyone.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Angie, it felt like I was reading my own post!

Just add a packet of jaffa cakes, 1/2 packet of choc digestives, 1 choc ice and a handful of pringles to that list of naughty food, on my behalf. Oh yes and about 6 choc chip cookies :oops: :oops: (I don't think there's enough :oops: to cover it)

I don't get itchy but I feel sickish and just wish I hadn't done it. I daren't test my BG level tonight.

Just want you to know that you are definitely not alone in this comfort food minefield of ours. Tomorrow is a new day. Just start afresh. We can do it (I hope). I'm going to go to bed now to stop myself from eating any more junk. I'm not tired but I know if I stay up I will eat more. I only bought the biccies yesterday as I thought I was getting stronger and could resist them. Who am I kidding??? :roll:

Defren

Oh honey, I was also a terrible comfort eater. Fear of complications stops me now. Don't get me wrong, I still want to run out and have fish and chips, crumpets, chocolate and creamy mashed potato, but one look at my feet, still healthy and attached stops me. We are all different, and some of us have steely willpower others not so much. But that doesn't make us bad people, it makes us human. I still think about this as a life long change and sigh huge sad and desperately frustrated sighs, but just accept it is what it is and I have to cope. Chin up, it's not worth beating yourself up. Your welts and itching is quite enough without anyone having a go at you. (((hugs))).

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Onwards and upwards dear ladies.

As Scarlett says 'Tomorrow is another day.'

chew824

Hi Ladybird,

If it's any consolation I'm having a pretty rubbish week too. So many things have gone wrong in the last couple of weeks I don't even know where to begin. But the upshot is this... My wife has some friends round at the moment. They're getting drunk, eating junk food and having a bl**dy good time. Now I don't begrudge her this at all, but feeling down myself all I want to do is get drunk too and eat rubbish and drown my sorrows on chocolate and wine. The fact I can't (or won't) is probably a good thing but that doesn't seem to make me feel any less wretched... What I really want is to burst into tears and have a **** good cuddle with my wife and go to sleep in her arms... Not even food is a comfort to me now... So my heart goes out to you but know you are not alone. I've been so naughty over the past two weeks (not constantly but consistently) and I feel guilty about that after working so hard over the last 3 months. I should have done some exercise tonight but sat in my snug on the laptop instead.

As others have said tomorrow is a new day. Be strong with me and make it a low BS healthy day! And just remember, it could always be worse...

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
ladybird64 said:
I have had more than a week of a nasty chest infection and am back on the steroids, had a bit of stress elsewhere and did my usual thing of turning to food to drown it all out.

That as they say is a triple wammy, prednisolone will raise your bg levels to a pretty high level and will take a while to return to normal after you stop taking them. Stress can also help raise bg levels and turning to food, well we know what that can do.

But there is no need to blame yourself if you are ill sometimes your diabetes has to take a back seat while you tackle more immediate problems, just blame the steroids, get yourself better and start afresh :thumbup:

Get well soon :D

C

catherinecherub

Dear Ladybird,

An increased appetite is a side effect of steroids and they are often prescribed for cancer sufferers and people with HIV/Aids as a means to increase appetite. I sometimes have to endure a six week course of them for a condition unrelated to diabetes and my appetite increases dramatically. I think because the hunger takes over it is so easy to eat the wrong things, we don't have time to make a rash decision as the urge to eat is too strong.
Here are a couple of articles that may help you see that you are not alone with this problem when it comes to steroids.

http://sideeffectz.com/prednisonesideeffects

This one gives more details about side effects and is for people who have had a transplant. The side effects will still be the same.
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/transplan ... isone.aspx

Take heart Ladybird, you are not alone.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
As always, heartfelt thanks for your support, it does mean a lot when I am struggling a wee bit.

Regarding the Prednisolone, I was actually on them very long term (years) for my asthma, have been off them more or less for a couple of years now. I do well enough generally (especially since I gave up the cigs..yes, I know.. :oops: ) but when I get unwell it always hits hard.

Although I am conscious of the increased appetite and the effects on bg's of the steroids, it is purely the habit of a screwed up coping strategy that has pushed me towards the foods that i know make me feel lousy - go figure.

Anyway, going to have lots of gorgeous veggies today with my roastie beef and try not to berate myself for being human cos it doesn't help. Am also off to the docs tomorrow to try and get rid of this infection once and for all.

People-I owe you. Not the soppy type but if I can ever return the favour, I'm here. x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a comfort eater myself - I am very impressed with how you are picking yourself us so soon!!!

You deserve a round of applause, not to beat yourself up :clap: :clap: :clap:

I think of my comfort eating like I would if I was an alcoholic. One day at a time.......and every day is a new day. Last night I had to go and crochet in bed at 9pm to get away from the kitchen temptation.

Well done to you. And thank you for sharing. I found your post encouraging.

Grazer

Hi ladybird! Have a happy Sunday and enjoy the yorkie. I'm on roast Gammon joint with all the bits. Means lots of cold roast gammon after for sarnies and salads.
Don't feel bad, just feel better.

WhitbyJet

((((((((((Angie)))))))))) that is not a self pitying moan, you have every right to complain.
Just please hurry up and get better, you are speical.
Thinking of you x x

shop

Hi Ladybird,

Try not to beat yourself up. Its hard when you have food cravings and arn't on steroids, so I haven't got a clue how hard it must be for you. You can see that we all support you and If you can't come here for a moan whre can you go.

Sending get well and positive vibe wishes ((( ))).

Lucy xxx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All ...
Have to let you all know I have really enjoyed reading this topic and thread...
It does reflect on our fragility and humanity totally.
We are human first and diabetics second, the structure and support here is AMAZING so caring and thoughtful.
Best of all the support, help, is freely given too.
Ladybird please let us all know how you are and thanks for such inspiring honest posts.
It wasnt a moan to me but a candid honest expression and it did hit home!!!
To so many , we all have our off days... [plus the steroids will affect you too]
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Much love and thoughts.
Anna.x :)

Dial999

Actually, going off a diet can sometimes be a good thing, especially for an asthmatic (i.e. allergic type) person. It will show up allergies when you eat something you haven't had for a while.
The 'itchy red weals' you mention could be hives, an allergic reaction. Suspects for you would be today's peanuts, bread preservative 282, colours and flavours, or even the natural chemicals in fruit. Next time you are tempted, have just one of these foods and see if there is a reason other than diabetes you should be avoiding it. :thumbup: