Op’s Done!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My op’s done! I was first on the list this morning. Last blood sugar reading taken in recovery was 9mmols/l. I finally ate around 1.15pm (Babybel cheeses x 2, small pack of pork scratchings, sugar free jelly pot and a home made lemon shortbread, with black coffee). Hoping for a lower reading at 3.15pm! Looks like I might be allowed home tonight after all, fingers crossed!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My op’s done! I was first on the list this morning. Last blood sugar reading taken in recovery was 9mmols/l. I finally ate around 1.15pm (Babybel cheeses x 2, small pack of pork scratchings, sugar free jelly pot and a home made lemon shortbread, with black coffee). Hoping for a lower reading at 3.15pm! Looks like I might be allowed home tonight after all, fingers crossed!

Congratulations.

You know someone's a diabetic with a mission when all they mention about an operation is what their blood sugars are like afterwards and a food log!

Hopefully your feet are still attached and working, but I guess that's a secondary concern!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations.

You know someone's a diabetic with a mission when all they mention about an operation is what their blood sugars are like afterwards and a food log!

Hopefully your feet are still attached and working, but I guess that's a secondary concern!
Ha ha! I realised after I posted. I hadn’t said anything about my feet! L foot the injected one is fine, R foot the operated one is a bit sore but they are sending me home with a bottle of morphine! Anyone know the carb count for Oramorph please?! :joyful:

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In me, Morphine (Diamorphine) induced projectile vomiting, near comatose state and the sensation that someone was repeatedly kidking my bed! Based on that experience I decided that I would never have made a good junkie!. Now codeine phosphat with the chaser of a can of Pimms after another operation was a much more pleasant experience

Reactions: Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In me, Morphine (Diamorphine) induced projectile vomiting, near comatose state and the sensation that someone was repeatedly kidking my bed! Based on that experience I decided that I would never have made a good junkie!. Now codeine phosphat with the chaser of a can of Pimms after another operation was a much more pleasant experience
I’ve had morphine before and an odd dose or two I’m ok with thankfully! I have codeine too so spoilt for choice!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to hear the op went well Rachox, and that recovery is going well so far. Seems like a good excuse to put your feet up and be waited on for Christmas (and beyond?? :angelic:)

Enjoy! and I hope all continues well for you

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh no! Latest blood sugar reading 10.2! :banghead:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Anyone know the carb count for Oramorph please?!

Just looked it up, about 1.5g per 5ml dose, so at the max does of 120ml per day, it is 36g of sucrose. (But you may not be able to use a meter at that dose!) Remember that there is no real harm from your BG being upto 20 for a day or two.

Check if the doctor is happy with you to taking metformin at the same time.

paracetamol is another option that will help, but your codeine may already contain paracetamol so check.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just looked it up, about 1.5g per 5ml dose, so at the max does of 120ml per day, it is 36g of sucrose. (But you may not be able to use a meter at that dose!) Remember that there is no real harm from your BG being upto 20 for a day or two.

Check if the doctor is happy with you to taking metformin at the same time.

paracetamol is another option that will help, but your codeine may already contain paracetamol so check.
Thanks for working that out for me! My foggy head was struggling to do the maths! I won’t compromise pain control for a few days of high readings. The steroid injection won’t be helping either! I can always sneak in a mince pie and blame the readings on the medical stuff! :joyful:
Do Metformin and Oramorph clash?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do Metformin and Oramorph clash?

Increased risk of acidosis, as it is still a low risk the advice given is "Talk with your doctor". I expect that as you have full liver and kidney functions you will be OK, but best to check.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had morphine before and an odd dose or two I’m ok with thankfully! I have codeine too so spoilt for choice!
Good, about morphine, as your own experience is what matters at the moment, with advice from medics, preferrably written down or witnessed by another, just in case you are still not fully alert after op.

I have read the thread properly this time, and wish you a speedy recovery. ;)
Try not to get too concerned about BG for a few days. Rest up and get well.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good, about morphine, as your own experience is what matters at the moment, with advice from medics, preferrably written down or witnessed by another, just in case you are still not fully alert after op.

I have read the thread properly this time, and wish you a speedy recovery. ;)
Try not to get too concerned about BG for a few days. Rest up and get well.
I’ve been given a sheet of very thorough post op instructions in case I do forget anything! I’ll get hubby and adult children to read it when I get home too

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Get well soon!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bad news my lovely forum friends I’ve just been readmitted to the Orthopaedic hospital after spending the night in A/E. Not coping at home with the pain :arghh:
PS my blood sugar was 5.9 on admission surprisingly!