Operation and Pump

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m due to have a small op in couple of weeks. Will I have to remove my insulin pump or free libre sensor does anyone know? Thank you

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have not had to remove mine when I had an op.
When I first asked the consultant/surgeon, he said he would remove the pump. However, the decision was with the anaethetist who asked me to explain how the pump worked and then was happy to keep it in place.
This was my experience for two ops under general anaesthetic. For an op with local anaesthetic, my pump was of no concern to the surgeon.
So, the answer to your question is “maybe”. And my advice is to ask as soon as possible and make your case if you want to keep your pump in place.
Unless your op is on the arm with your Libre, I see no reason it should be removed.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for asking the question about the Libre @Tracyann35
I self fund a Libre and have to have an op soon. I have said I can take a cancellation at short notice, so I can see a scenario where I’ve just inserted a new Libre when they call me up and I have to waste it, if I have to remove it :(

Reactions: Tracyann35

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tracyann35 and @Rachox , I don't know how things are done in the UK but in the Netherlands you usually have a pre-op review with the anesthesiologist (weight, BP etc.) and that's when you discuss keeping your equipment.
If the operation is not anywhere near where you wear it you have a good reason to insist to keep your sensor on.

As for the pump, it's very important to discuss how your diabetes will be managed during and after the OP.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Tracyann35 and @Rachox , I don't know how things are done in the UK but in the Netherlands you usually have a pre-op review with the anesthesiologist (weight, BP etc.) and that's when you discuss keeping your equipment.
If the operation is not anywhere near where you wear it you have a good reason to insist to keep your sensor on.

As for the pump, it's very important to discuss how your diabetes will be managed during and after the OP.
I already had all the nurse pre op things done at my OP appt when it was decided I need surgery, BP, weight, ECG etc…. It all happened so fast! I don’t get to see the anaesthetist til the day of surgery!

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for asking the question about the Libre @Tracyann35
I self fund a Libre and have to have an op soon. I have said I can take a cancellation at short notice, so I can see a scenario where I’ve just inserted a new Libre when they call me up and I have to waste it, if I have to remove it :(

I m lucky in the UK that my consultant decided he want me to go on libre so it is funded. But I understand your concerns xx

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I already had all the nurse pre op things done at my OP appt when it was decided I need surgery, BP, weight, ECG etc…. It all happened so fast! I don’t get to see the anaesthetist til the day of surgery!
Assuming the operation won't be in the area of your sensor, tell them very clearly they are to leave it alone.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had quite a few operations and kept my pump plus CGM connected, two hips, shoulder decompression, finger tendon releases ........ and more.

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77 and Rachox

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m due to have a small op in couple of weeks. Will I have to remove my insulin pump or free libre sensor does anyone know? Thank you
emoji7.png
Hi,
I’ve had a couple of operations in the past and had to remove the pump. I was attached to a sliding scale which was monitered during the op. I stayed on the sliding scale until I recovered. This was a while ago and wasn’t using the Libre sensor then.

glenmoray

I just had a neck tumour removed from my neck around 3 Months ago. I was told I had to remove my Medtronic MinMed 780G and my Guardian 4 sensor before my operation the night before my operation and have in the morning of my operation half of my Long acting insulin I use to be on. Before the Pump I was on 32 units of Lantus Solo Star long acting insulin so before leaving for the hospital the morning of my operation I had 16 units of Lantus. Usually during your operation the Anaesthetist monitors your blood glucoses and puts on a insulin infusion and 5% Dextrose drip. Your having a small operation though so I would talk to your Diabetic nurses and see what they say. Most likely they will just stop your pump during you short operation.

Bill Wireman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can think of one reason you would need to remove the pump it would be if you require x-rays, then replace after that procedure.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your help I have my pre-op on Friday so I will ask them then about it
For me, the nurses doing the pre-op were unaware of an insulin pump. I had to wait until the morning of the operation before I met the anaesthetist when we discussed the pump and he agreed that continuing to wear it was the best approach.
A pump can be removed at any time of the day at short notice. It is what happens if your pump fails so we should all know how to handle it.

bowersgifford

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi
I have not had to remove mine when operated on. I just decrease my insulin a little and when I wake Test my BS and then I have had to increase quite a bit.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had quite a lot surgeries in the last 10 years, I have never been asked to remove my pump, in fact my last surgery they just asked if it alarms what action should they take I said just keep an eye on my blood sugers.

Reactions: Antje77