Operation and T2

Fairy09

I had to go for my pre-op appointment yesterday and have to go under General Anaesthetic next Friday. I've never had a general before and because I'm only 3 months since T2 diagnosis I'm just wondering if it will effect my BS and HBA1c. I've only just had my HBA1c which I'm very happy that they have come down to 40 from 107 in June. I'm worried they will go up with having a general.
Can anyone give me any advise?
Thanks in advance

D

Deleted Account

The HB1AC is an average over 3 months. The affect of General Anaesthetic will be a few hours which will be negligible within the 3 months.
Stress and illness will increase BG - you may see a rise of BG as you, naturally, feel a little stressed about your surgery before and after your surgery your BG may rise whilst your body is healing.
However, hopefully, the longer term impact of the operation on solving an underlying problem which itself may be causing stress on your body should help reduce BG ... and HB1AC.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Firstly, well done on your improved A1c, super work.

General anaesthesia does have an affect on insulin secretion/blood glucose levels but you must be aware that there are other things to consider. The anxiety or stress will have an effect, the particular anaesthetic drugs used, the physiological stresses that the body goes through during and after the procedure, the post operative drugs used and your individual reactions to anaesthesia will affect you. All this means is that it is likely that your blood glucose levels will rise temporarily but I doubt if anyone could tell you by how much or for how long. Obviously you need the surgery but by putting your A1c in a good place you have drastically improved the likelihood of a trouble free procedure and recovery.

Good Luck!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course it’ll depend on what surgery you are having and I’m not prying into that. However I can tell you my experience at the end of last year. I had an HbA1c of 33 on 7th Dec. I went for major orthopaedic surgery and a steroid injection on 22nd Dec. under general anaesthetic. Even with a pretty turbulent post op period with pain control being a problem my HbA1c in mid February had only gone up to 35. That was despite steroids being renown for raising blood sugars and the poor choices of low carb food on the hospital menus!
I wish you well with whatever you’re having done and I’m sure any rise in your numbers will be short lived as you’ve done so well so far.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Barry05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the last 4 years I've had 5 operations whilst under General anaesthetic. Each time I came round the nurses take blood tests etc. The blood sugars are high for a short while which is quite normal after operations.
During the pre operative assessments the nurses told me not to take certain diabetic medicine before the operations which I didn't. This would also contribute to the short lived high sugar level.
As for the operation, don't panic, you'll just fall asleep and know nothing about it. You'll wake up under supervision in a more relaxed state of mind.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try not to worry. I've had three operations under general anaesthetic since I was diagnosed and haven't noticed any adverse effect on my blood sugar levels.

Hope all goes well.

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a general anaesthetic on Monday and my blood sugars have gone up. They maxed about 4mMol higher than normal but are now dropping back to somewhere near normal. They will only very marginally effect your Hbac as this is a 3month average. Judging on my current, limited, experience the raised spot readings are only going to be for say 14 days so not vastly important. Raised post op. blood glucose is a normal bodily reaction and expected by nursing staff. They seem more scared of low levels.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that your main problem will be the hospital menu - they just do not understand the concept of low carb.

Reactions: MargaretR

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Resurgam. I’ve had 3 operations with general anaesthetic in the last 18 months, and the biggest problem was hospital breakfast. After the first stay I took yoghurt, a spelt cereal I knew didn’t spike me, and a punnet of strawberries. The staff stored the yoghurt in their fridge, and I kept the other stuff in my locker, plus cheese, for when the lunch or dinner was too carry.

Fairy09

Many thanks for everyone's comments and advise. I really appreciate it and I feel much better hearing your comments.
Thank you again and I'll let you know what my BS prick tests come up as after the op next Friday.

Have a great weekend coming up everyone :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Fairy09 - I'm pleased to say I haven't had to have many anaesthetics, but the only time I did I was fine. My numbers drifted a bit for a few days, but I needed to have the op, and I just decided to ring fence that window of time in my head as an unavoidable event.

I don't know how long you will be in hospital, but I was fortunate enough to be well enough to go home on the same day, once I had had something to eat and drink (and had passed urine), so I could easily control my eating and drinking, aside from that day in hospital, which was largely fasting anyway.

I didn't enjoy the NHS provided sandwich (I had to eat before I could go), but it wasn't going to kill me, so I viewed it as my ticket to go home!

Good luck with your surgery. Your A1c is in great shape for your op. Well done!

Reactions: Fairy09

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that your main problem will be the hospital menu - they just do not understand the concept of low carb.
I was reasonably impressed when I was in hospital recently - my only problem was b/fast as it was a choice between yoghurt, toast and porridge. I chose a reasonably low carb lunch and salad for tea with no sugar jelly for pud for on all 3 days I was in there. I think it was more by accident than design but it was manageable. To be honest I felt that as I was well controlled a couple of days of not too low carb would do me no harm so didn’t stress about the food too much.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for everyone's comments and advise. I really appreciate it and I feel much better hearing your comments.
Thank you again and I'll let you know what my BS prick tests come up as after the op next Friday.

Have a great weekend coming up everyone :)
@Fairy09 good luck with your op xx