Optifast 800 shakes/soups/bars

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Indeed, anyone that posts in the low calorie diet forum, asking about the Newcastle diet, will always get my full support. No deviation necessary.
It is a shame that some perceptions are it's not for everyone though, I see it as eight weeks compared to a lifetime, even if it is only a chance.
Fully understand where you are coming from @SunnyExpat .
I felt the same immediately after I achieved success with ND. It was only through further reading that I realised not everyone will be successful, especially if they have damage to their pancreas. For some it will not work, and that can be so demoralising. Also, so many people mistakenly believe that the ND only entails a short 8 week period of Very Low Calorie Diet. Many fail to heed the information that on completion of the 8 weeks one must continue to consume about a third less calories than they previously had. So, it does require lifetime changes.

Edit: agree it is worth trying. After all, what's 8 weeks compared to rest of life? :)

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fully understand where you are coming from @SunnyExpat .
I felt the same immediately after I achieved success with ND. It was only through further reading that I realised not everyone will be successful, especially if they have damage to their pancreas. For some it will not work, and that can be so demoralising. Also, so many people mistakenly believe that the ND only entails a short 8 week period of Very Low Calorie Diet. Many fail to heed the information that on completion of the 8 weeks one must continue to consume about a third less calories than they previously had. So, it does require lifetime changes.

Edit: agree it is worth trying. After all, what's 8 weeks compared to rest of life? :)

The main thrust of the diet is the complete change in mindset.
eight weeks without real food, and you realise you can do it.
No 'starvation mode'
No 'ravenous hunger'
No 'completely tired'

So it's easy to switch onto a new, healthy, lower calorie diet.

I worry those that simply switch onto a high fat, unrestricted, eat until you are full diet never gain the same freedom.
And if you are one of the many unlucky ones that never feel full......

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @carina62
My rather careless remark about fasting has probably caused a distraction from your question re Newcastle diet and 5:2. What I should have said was that I have not done the 5:2 so have no personal experience of it. The Newcastle Diet returned my blood sugar levels to normal, eliminated my need for Meds and also reversed my obesity so it is easy for me to recommend it . @Pipp @Brunneria and @SunnyExpat all supported me on that journey and post Newcastle diet and will do so for you however you decide to proceed. These guys and many others are why this is such a great site with everyone passionate about dealing with Diabetes and it is true that there options that will work for some and not others as we are individuals with different circumstances
It is great to see you looking to step up your journey with Diabetes and I look forward to following your journey
Cheers

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
The main thrust of the diet is the complete change in mindset.
eight weeks without real food, and you realise you can do it.
No 'starvation mode'
No 'ravenous hunger'
No 'completely tired'

So it's easy to switch onto a new, healthy, lower calorie diet.

I worry those that simply switch onto a high fat, unrestricted, eat until you are full diet never gain the same freedom.
And if you are one of the many unlucky ones that never feel full......

I do not have personal experience of the ND, but this thread paints a terrific picture of its all round impact on your lives... Very inspiring:)

I have followed a fairly strict LCHF diet now for nearly 9 weeks and got to the place, like you, where this is likely to represent a permanent lifestyle change.

The speed of change in all my metabolic markers has been wonderfully surprising and having just completed my first 4 day fast which was remarkably easy due to my Keto-adapted state, I'll continue to incorporate extended periodic fasts that drop and stabilise my BG and shift significant weight at the same time.

I think it's brilliant that each of us finds slight variations on our own paths, but are all journeying together within this great community:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, BPM 85, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

16/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 6O, 11st 5lbs, waist 30", PWV 7.0. Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting, occasionally longer fasts.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, to get back to the original query. @carina62 has not yet responded to the information given about the meal replacement suggestions, should she choose to follow the ND route.

I will repeat my usual mantra, which is to anyone considering this method, 'Make sure you have read all of the Prof Taylor papers, if you are on medication get support from GP, and follow the instructions. Most importantly, have a follow up plan at the end of the calorie restriction phase'.

Whatever method one chooses, I am always happy to hear of success.

Reactions: Serena51

Tannedhaggis

Reading this thread with interest. I liked the convenience of optifast for breakfast driving to work. However after realising the sugar content I stopped using it. I had a look on iherb at Almased for a 50g serve it is still 3 teaspoons of sugar. (12g) My question is, is it 3 teaspoons used well or will I be hungry a couple of hours later?

Supplement Facts - Almased
Serving Size: 8 tablespoons (50 g)
Servings Per Container: 10
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Calories 180
Calories from Fat 9
Total Fat 1.0 g* 1.5%
Saturated Fat 0.5 g* 2.5%
Trans Fat 0 g **
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g **
Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g **
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 340 mg 15%
Potassium 500 mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g* 6%
Dietary Fiber 0.5 g* 2%
Sugars 12 g **
Protein 27 g* 54%
Vitamin A 794 IU 16%
Vitamin C 16 mg 27%
Vitamin E 6 IU 20%
Thiamin (Vitamin B1) .5 mg 33%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) .6 mg 35%
Vitamin B6 .7 mg 35%
Calcium 215 mg 22%
Iron 4.9 mg 27%
* Percent Daily values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
** Daily Value not established.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used Almased for one tub. I liked the flavour and it didn't spike me like other shakes do. But it did make me sleepy - turns out I have a soy intolerance. So I stopped using it.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know anything about the Newcastle diet but I do wonder what is the advantage of liquid replacement meals as opposed to a low carb/calorie meal and would doctors really recommend that a woman only consumes 600 calories a day when they would normally tell you that a woman needs 1500/2000 and a man 2500 calories a day

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pinkorchid , the following reference gives all the information required to understand the rationale of the Newcastle diet, as devised by Professor Roy Taylor et al
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

Briefly, the very low calorie diet is to rapidly reduce the visceral fat, that can prevent internal organs particularly pancreas and liver from functioning normally.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pinkorchid the shakes in the original studies where used to ensure that the same number of calories are consumed each and every time

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Where can I buy Optifast 800 shakes/soups/bars recommended for the Newcastle diet? I am using Atkins at the moment which is low carb and low sugar and compared to Slimfast products (which I noticed is so high in sugar) which is great but wondered if I should switch to Optifast as this was used in the trial. Thanks
Hi there Carina 62. You buy them direct from Nestle in Sydney. They are jolly expensive. Not yet clear to me why each sachet has 17.5 grams of sugar ! -- If you phone them, watch out ! The special number they have is free in Australia but if you are calling internationally, ie from outside Australia by Skype [ as I was ] the special number is expensive.