Insulin
Dislikes
None
In us they have oral insulin instead of injections its an inhaler

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Shoot away with questions about using Afrezza, inhaled insulin. Been on it about 6 months now. All user feedback I've read is it's the best drug so far for type 1 and type 2.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. The Study data I've seen suggests that Insulin Aspart had a greater effect on Hba1C than Afrezza in T1Ds though, to quote:

"A PIII study in 518 patients with type 1 diabetes using basal insulin showed that Afrezza was non-inferior to insulin aspart. Mean HbA1c was reduced by 0.2% with Afrezza vs. 0.4% with insulin aspart. Fasting blood glucose and bodyweight were also reduced vs. insulin aspart (p=0.003 and p=0.01, respectively)."

Source: http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/filestore/ukmianp/2015PrescribingOutlook-NewMedicines-FINAL.pdf Page 38.

That's not to say it doesn't work, just that the evidence base out there isn't 100% conclusive!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
how does an inhaled insulin dose calculated.....?
AfrezzaDosingChart.gif

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Oralyn from Generex (USA) is or was, available in India and works fairly fast. One puff towards the upper mouth (buccal lining), not at back of throat, is equivalent to about 10g carb. Tastes disgusting so needs food to be eaten straight away or a drink

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
wow, I didn't think this was actually a half decent treatment.......well, I suppose that conclusion is still to be determined, but its a good development none the less...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oralyn from Generex (USA) is or was, available in India and works fairly fast. One puff towards the upper mouth (buccal lining), not at back of throat, is equivalent to about 10g carb. Tastes disgusting so needs food to be eaten straight away or a drink

Taste aside my concerns are the long-term effects on the lungs.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oral-lyn has undertaken Phase III clinical trials on Type 2 patients in India. The results that were published of the trials that took place appear better than Afrezza. Some details here: http://www.ukmi.nhs.uk/applications/ndo/record_view_open.asp?newDrugID=3119

NICE was also asked to review it: www.nice.org.uk/Guidance/InDevelopment/GID-TAG244

It was launched in March 2015 in some minor markets, but not in the US or EU. Reading between the lines of the various bits of information on the web, the initial formulation of the product was not concentrated enough and required multiple "inhalations" and given @iHs comment about taste, it looks as though they went away to redesign the molecular structure to provide a much more concentrated product. It may well be something that we see coming in to play in the next 12-24 months, pending testing of the new, improved product on humans rather than dogs!

One thing to note is that Oral-lyn has been granted a license under the FDA Treatment Investigational New Drug program and is the only Diabetes related drug to have been granted this status!

Taste aside my concerns are the long-term effects on the lungs.

Oral-lyn is absorbed in the buccal tissues rather than the lungs, so is administered as a spray rather than an inhaler.

Last edited by a moderator: