Oral Lichen Planus, biopsy result

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had my result of my mouth biopsy today and I have now another auto immune condition :- So if any of you (especially type 1's ) get a sore mouth or your dentist spots a white patch, it could be this. I had to buy Kingfisher toothpaste from Holland and Barrett and Difflam Oral rinse, which cost £11.70 from Boots :wideyed: I will start using them tonight and hopefully both will help,:)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/appointments
Oral lichen planus

https://newslettersignup.mayoclinic.com/
http://www.mayoclinic.org/about-this-site/welcome
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...yo-clinic/why-choose-mayo-clinic/con-20028031
Oral lichen planus (LIE-kun PLAY-nus) is an ongoing (chronic) inflammatory condition that affects mucous membranes inside your mouth. Oral lichen planus may appear as white, lacy patches; red, swollen tissues; or open sores. These lesions may cause burning, pain or other discomfort.

Oral lichen planus can't be passed from one person to another. The disorder occurs when the immune system mounts an attack against cells of the oral mucous membranes for unknown reasons (autoimmune disorder).

Symptoms can usually be managed, but people who have oral lichen planus need regular monitoring because they may be at risk of developing mouth cancer in the affected areas.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes, I had this. I was referred to the Eastman Dental Hospital (London) for investigation/biopsy/allergy testing. The allergy test showed it was because of amalgam fillings. Since I have had my fillings replaced the Lichen Planus has cleared up, although they said it was unusual to see such a good result after doing this.

Reactions: 2 people

Janiept

Expert
Sorry to hear that you have another condition to manage RRB but good news in a way, as the word biopsy strikes fear into us doesn't it. Can I ask if you were referred to oncology for the tests?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ah yes, I had this. I was referred to the Eastman Dental Hospital (London) for investigation/biopsy/allergy testing. The allergy test showed it was because of amalgam fillings. Since I have had my fillings replaced the Lichen Planus has cleared up, although they said it was unusual to see such a good result after doing this.

Thanks robert, maybe I could have my lower left filling replaced in time?, it's good to know.
My next appointment is in 6 months time.

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry to hear that you have another condition to manage RRB but good news in a way, as the word biopsy strikes fear into us doesn't it. Can I ask if you were referred to oncology for the tests?

Hello. I'm fine thank you. My dentist referred me to the Oral medicine department at my local hospital. It was looked at, then a week later had the biopsy taken by another medical professional, who I also saw today. That was the 3rd week of December 2014.

RRB

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks robert, maybe I could have my lower left filling replaced in time?, it's good to know.
My next appointment is in 6 months time.

Best wishes RRB
If the filling lines up with the site of the Lichen Planus it would be worth getting the filling replaced. I got a letter from the hospital for my dentist saying I needed all my amalgam fillings replaced, but I guess you'd need the allergy test to get the free filling replacements.

I hope your new toothpaste and mouthwash help with your symptoms. I found certain foods set mine off. Mine was on side of tongue.

Janiept

Expert
Hello. I'm fine thank you. My dentist referred me to the Oral medicine department at my local hospital. It was looked at, then a week later had the biopsy taken by another medical professional, who I also saw today. That was the 3rd week of December 2014.

RRB
Thanks @Robinredbreast, I confess to a personal interest in this as 83 year old Mum saw her GP this week, as she has been complaining of a sore tongue for a few weeks. The GP took one look and referred her to oncology. I am now hoping it may be the same condition you have which I know you could live without but is hopefully manageable. Let us know how things are when you start using the new oral care stuff won't you.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If the filling lines up with the site of the Lichen Planus it would be worth getting the filling replaced. I got a letter from the hospital for my dentist saying I needed all my amalgam fillings replaced, but I guess you'd need the allergy test to get the free filling replacements.

I hope your new toothpaste and mouthwash help with your symptoms. I found certain foods set mine off. Mine was on side of tongue.

Thank you again, mine is bottom left of mouth, then gum area and left of throat and small part of tongue, I've had it about 4 to 5 months now. Hopefully the toothpaste and mouthwash will do the trick to ease off the pain.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks @Robinredbreast, I confess to a personal interest in this as 83 year old Mum saw her GP this week, as she has been complaining of a sore tongue for a few weeks. The GP took one look and referred her to oncology. I am now hoping it may be the same condition you have which I know you could live without but is hopefully manageable. Let us know how things are when you start using the new oral care stuff won't you.

I do hope your mum is all right, is she diabetic Janiept, as it's an auto immune condition,? but I know non diabetics will get it as well. There are a few mouth conditions that it could be, but I must say the biopsy wasn't a very pleasant experience,but a necessary, one.

I will let you know how you get on, could you also let me know about your mum, if it's okay with you?
Take care RRB

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hope this clears up RRB :)

Just looked at ebay.co.uk for the kingfisher toothpaste. Sheesh, it ain't cheap.
Take care

Mike

K

Kat100

Yes I do know. as I have a much loved elderly dad and we do worry about them <3

Best wishes RRB :)
Sorry to hear this @Robinredbreast
Thank goodness you know what it is your dealing with ....
I am glad you are being monitored ....
Hope all goes well with your symptoms ...
The list feels so long at times all the things people have to cope with ...;)
Best wishes ...kat

Reactions: 3 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
All the best with this RRB ,there is always somthing to cope with .
Its just as well we can have a laugh at times,and know we have friends to support us x x x

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had it for a few years now, I also have it in a "delicate" place so I have to see a gynae every 6 months as it is associated with a higher incidence of cancer in that area. I also use Difflam when it is bad and I cannot eat anything too hot or spicy.

Ali

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have had it for a few years now, I also have it in a "delicate" place so I have to see a gynae every 6 months as it is associated with a higher incidence of cancer in that area. I also use Difflam when it is bad and I cannot eat anything too hot or spicy.

Ali

Ah, that must be difficult for you Ali H, do you have in your mouth as well as the delicate area? I had a dental appointment today and my dentist made out a prescription for me for Benzydamine ( Difflam) and Corsodyl MW ( Difflam, very
expensive ):wideyed: Cancer was mentioned at the hospital, as in a very few cases it can turn cancerous, I go back in 6 months. I now have another 3 dental appointments , first one is on Thursday, as my bridge is loose and the other teeth, each side of bridge, are loose, also, so not looking good and it looks like the teeth wont be able to be saved.
My dentist said you can get inflammation /rash anywhere on the body, so as you said 'a delicate area'. We will always have it, but hopefully it will be more manageable. Good luck with yours AliH and take care RRB

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
wishing you well RRB :) ... and good evening :)

Mike :)

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes orally first, about 5 or 6 years ago now. The Difflam should help you, I have various lotions and potions on prescription for it which helps financially.

Ali

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you again, mine is bottom left of mouth, then gum area and left of throat and small part of tongue, I've had it about 4 to 5 months now. Hopefully the toothpaste and mouthwash will do the trick to ease off the pain.
Sorry @Robinredbreast - hope the toothpaste & mouthwash work ASAP. I had this last year & the GP gave me a mouthwash at the time. Hope it's less sore now.