Oranges.....Good or Bad ?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Been feeling a lot better over the last few days thanks........couple of times felt a bit ropey, but not as bad as I was over the last few weeks.
Fantastic

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@Del 80, apologies if its already been mentioned in your thread but one of the lowest carb fruits is strawberries.

Reactions: 4 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tested at 4:10 pm.......7.9.....Excellent !!.....very pleased with this.

Reactions: 12 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done @Del 80 , to go from 26.6 to 7.9 in a matter of days is absolutely brilliant, don't celebrate with an orange though!
Thanks Garr......No, oranges are out for the moment, along with lots of other things.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested at 7:am.........9.9........that's not too bad for first thing in the morning is it ?

Reactions: 6 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tested at 7:am.........9.9........that's not too bad for first thing in the morning is it ?
Welo done. Whilst it's a little high when you consider what your reading was a week or so ago, it's very good and shows a remarkable improvement. Also it's always seems to be the FBS reading that is the last to come down so keep up the good work as you're getting there!!

Reactions: 2 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have now decided to test once a day, that should give me enough test strips until I see diabetic nurse, although I am not very hopeful of getting any on prescription ..........today it is 10.0 mmol/L......still a bit high, but I did have a round of granary toast for breakfast.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Del, you know that bread puts your levels up, so it's a bit pointless testing afterwards - you know it's going to be raised! Is there any particular reason why you're still eating it? Is it lack of alternatives?

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Del, you know that bread puts your levels up, so it's a bit pointless testing afterwards - you know it's going to be raised! Is there any particular reason why you're still eating it? Is it lack of alternatives?
I suppose it was a moment of weakness on my part.......probably lack of choice was something to do with it, as we were out at the time.

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tested at midday........12.0.......lunch was chicken and mushrooms, then had an orange about 2 o' clock.......just tested again.....7.2......that's the lowest it has been since I started testing.........weird or what ??

Last edited by a moderator:

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A pattern seems to be emerging.......at midday it was 9.9.......lunch was stir fried chicken with mushrooms and two small potatoes, had an orange at 2 o'clock.......tested at 4:15 pm.......7.9.......does this seem about right ?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Del

Great to see you testing and posting. I think you still need to avoid the oranges, Spuds and bread until you get those readings into the 5-7 range as your readings are still high and you have shown you can bring them down by your diet choices. I know you are a long way from the 26 early on but I wouldn't be getting complacent and reverting to previous food choices until my readings were much lower

Keep at it Mate

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been to see diabetic nurse this morning.......taken blood and upped Metformin from 500 mg. to 1500 mg a day..........didn't get strips on prescription........the official line is that type 2's don't need to test, which I find strange.......go back in 2 weeks.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @Del 80
Great to see you back here. Bad news about the strips but from what others have said on here entirely predictable. Given the levels you had been quoting the increase in Meds was probable. You really need to test and control this yourself. In the UK it may even be cheaper to purchase the codefree meter I have seen mentioned because of the price of the strips rather than the Accu-Chek. I'm sure others can let you know the comparison.

Please do not fall in the trap of now you have more medication you don't need to worry about it!!

Over to you

Reactions: 6 people

Del 80

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why? Did you ask?
From what I was told, type 1's get a free meter.......type 2's do not.......some type 2's get free strips, but the one's they have at my surgery don't fit my meter......I was told I don't need to test every day.....but will do anyway.