Other diets\lifestyles

Rottielover

Hi all

I have lost 5stone on a keto diet but there are many other diets like paleo for example. Keto worked for me but i was wondering is it possible for it to not work for everyone (im basing this on weight loss and not blood sugar levels ect)

I also no people who have lost a lot of weight on the paleo diet or Mediterranean diet. So keto is not the only diet that can help loose weight

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I have lost 5stone on a keto diet but there are many other diets like paleo for example. Keto worked for me but i was wondering is it possible for it to not work for everyone (im basing this on weight loss and not blood sugar levels ect)

I also no people who have lost a lot of weight on the paleo diet or Mediterranean diet. So keto is not the only diet that can help loose weight

One of the main things the three methods you mention have are a lack of highly processed foods.
The core message is really "eat real food" although that is a very hard thing to define but most people can understand.
For those without serious metabolic problems that would probably be enough to improve health for all.
If problems are more serious or diseases develop then a stricter way of eating is likely more beneficial.
The key to all of course is not simply weight loss but maintenance of the loss and improving metabolic markers.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

The diets you mention are all cousins of one another, with a lot of overlap. In the end, we're all individuals, and what works for one, might not go quite far enough for another. I do well on keto, did pretty good on moderate LCHF before that but not quite as good, with a touch of Mediterranean mixed in. The basic thing though is real food, no processed stuff, and moderate to low carbs. Keto is one of the most "extreme" carb cutting diets out there, I think only carnivore goes further, but if someone can tolerate a little more carbs and can go with Paleo, Med and such, more power to them. Its not for me, but could be quite excellent for another's blood sugars and weight.

Reactions: Member496333

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The key to any diet that will help control/lose weight and BS is that it is low in carbs. So, don't worry about 'named' diets but just have a diet low in carbs and with enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full.

Reactions: Robbity and HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat what I do solely to control my blood glucose. Yes I have lost quite a bit of weight, and also volume, but that is just because my blood glucose is right.

M

Member496333

Keto is a metabolic pathway, not a diet. Any number of foods, whole or junk, can bring about nutritional ketosis, but they may or may not be health promoting. Paleo is more of an ethos. Carnivore can be both keto and paleo simultaneously. Whole foods can be exclusively animal based, exclusively plant based, or any combination of both.

I am 100% carnivore. My ethos is paleo. No artificial food...and bread/cereals/pasta etcetera are all artificial food (man made). As are all seed oils.

Last edited by a moderator:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I am on a keto diet and have lost a lot of weight- but what keeps me on keto is that my primary focus is my blood sugars- after that my weight. If I had to choose one it would be blood sugars- the risks associated with high blood sugars concern me- death by a quick heart attack or stroke (weight caused) worry me less than. losing a limb or worse losing my sight. My grandmother had a glass eye as a result of her diabetes.