"Out of stock"

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Am I missing something? A few weeks ago I went to collect my repeat prescription items from the pharmacy at my GPs. I should have been collecting 3 items, however only 2 of the items were available apparently the lancets I had ordered were out of stock. I usually give 3 days as opposed to the advertised 2 days wait from putting in my prescription to collecting it in case an item is not readily available. On Monday I went to collect another prescription this time my needles for my novo rapid flex pen were out of stock and the pharmacist did not know when they would be available. I asked what she would suggest in the meantime as it's not like I can get insulin into my system by any other means. She asked how many needles I had left. I replied 25 to which she asked how many a day do you use? I said on average 6. She said she would ask the doctor to prescribe a different brand, ironically the brand I was changed from because of cost a few months ago. She said they would be ready on Tuesday pm. I went to collect the needles this morning and was told that the doctor had not put them through for some reason so come back this afternoon. I said I did not think this was good enough and that I have to depend on an hourly bus service to get me to the surgery. After having a hunt round she found a rather battered box of BD ultra fine needles in a drawer and ALLOWED me to have them.
Sorry for the lengthy account, but what I don't get is the laissez-faire attitude towards me. I cannot be the only Type 1 diabetic at the practice using this pharmacy and if they know medication etc is out of stock surely they should have a back up plan and not wait until the person turns up to collect and then half heartedly say they will sort something out. It's not like going to Sainsbury''s finding an item is not available and then having the choice to see if Waitrose has any. I find my visits to the pharmacy is causing me lots of stress because I cannot be sure my medication will be there. Am I being unreasonable and over reacting? :banghead:

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I believe you should talk to your GP.
He should be able to prescribe what is best for you.
It is not up to the pharmacy to dictate what you want or need.
We are talking about your health here, not a plaster!!
Most GPs will do phone conversations tree at her than an appointment.

If you can change your pharmacy.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I had the same sort of problem, back in the day when put on Gliclazide.
Consultant said 40mg.
GP practice said "they don't do them, take 80mg and half them" I spoke to consultant & I went back & insisted.
Went to B00TS and they said "No such tab, only 80mg":(
Called round Pharms & found 40mg tab name. B00TS insisted they no longer exist!:mad:
Net result: My (& family's) scripts now serviced @ ASDA. Longest wait if pills not in: next day:)(So far in 4 years!)

Last edited by a moderator:

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks nosher8355 and CollieBoy yes I think a chat with the doctor and a change of pharmacy is called for. I know we don't want special treatment, but I don't think the seriousness of our condition is fully considered as though our need for medication is an option :arghh::)

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

I've been on complex and unusual meds for the last 15 years. One chemist actually told me to go elsewhere cos they just couldn't cope with me!! My advice for what its worth, find a decent large pharmacy (not the obvious one!) And go and introduce yourself to the pharmacist and explain how worried you are about your experience elsewhere. I did this at my local large supermarket pharmacy and they have been fantastic, even if they do give chocolate away in raffles for diabetes ;-). Good luck, Sue xxxx

Reactions: 6 people

TopCat_999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Its only happened to me once! I went to collect my prescription and the pharmacist said they were low on stock of gliclazide but would have some the next day, I could have one box (28) if I needed some. I always keep at lest 2 weeks stock in hand so I was not too bothered.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The problem my wife and I have is with the doctors and not the pharmacy, we have delivery of our meds. We have to phone to ensure that the dispensing secretary has given them back to the chemist.
It is infuriating though that something so simple as a prescription can be so much trouble.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sue I will certainly see if anyone I know has used the pharmacy in my local "chocolate box" supermarket lol and see how they rate them xxx

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. My local Lloyds rarely seems to run out of anything and if they do it is always delivered the next day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@coco44, if possible change your pharmacy, I had this trouble with Asda saying they couldn't get my test strips as they were out of stock and every pharmacy was experiencing the same problem, decided to try elsewhere and got them straight away and they said there was no such issues with the strips, sometimes they just look for excuses..........

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A T1 is worth a lot of money to a pharmacy, they should be bending over backwards for your business, if not then if you can take your business elsewhere. A good relationship with your pharmacist is worth its weight in gold when you fluff up and find yourself unexpectedly short of key supplies! (voice of experience!)

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all your advice and tips. It's the blasé attitude that riled me and made me feel really vulnerable because I often think about worse case scenarios what if insulin couldn't be manufactured anymore etc. Then when I turn up to collect my medication and this out of stock is mentioned and no alternative action offered I really feel anxious. Like you said noblehead ASDA gave you the impression that your test strips were unavailable everywhere that's how I was made to feel about my lancets and needles.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sometimes the problem is with the wholesaler and not the pharmacy. The pharmacy can only go on what their wholesaler tells them.
Example
My pharmacy was telling me there was a production problem with my insulin so a weeks delay, had I enough insulin, so I goes back in a week later still a problem. So I ring up insulin company and ask what the problem is. No problem at all please tell you pharmacist to contact us directly and we will send it out.
It was the supplier telling pharmacy there was a problem so pharmacist could only relay what she had been told.

M

mrspuddleduck

I also think its about finding and befriending the right pharmacist!! ;) Sue xxxx