Over compensating when treating a hypo

Phillip120

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello my name is Phillip I’m T2 6/7 years and on Victosa Glicazide & Metformin.
I’ve recently been revising my carb intake. As a result I’m starting to get hypos. BS lunchtime 3.2. My problem that I’ve never got right is over compensating when treating the hypo and end up with BS readings of circa 10. Any thoughts on how to treat a hypo effectively but not over compensating
Thanks.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hello my name is Phillip I’m T2 6/7 years and on Victosa Glicazide & Metformin.
I’ve recently been revising my carb intake. As a result I’m starting to get hypos. BS lunchtime 3.2. My problem that I’ve never got right is over compensating when treating the hypo and end up with BS readings of circa 10. Any thoughts on how to treat a hypo effectively but not over compensating
Thanks.

What do you take to get back up?

Myself, I take a bottle of Glucojuice, which is about 15g of fast acting carbs and a plain biscuit which is around 7g so around 22g all in.

Of course I would also recommend talking to your diabetes nurse or GP if you have regular hypo's. Maybe they will lower your medication.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are going low carb, you should tell your team, they should modify yoour meds.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Usually like others I take enough carbs to get back into normal levels.
And if you have reduced your carbs enough, then the logical reason you are seeing low levels is your meds. Glicizide will lower your blood levels and you do need to moderate your dosage. Speak to your GP.

Keep safe

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Any thoughts on how to treat a hypo effectively but not over compensating

As a T1, I have both an carb to insulin ratio and a correction ratio. I am quite insulin resistant, so I need 1 unit of insulin for 3 carbs and 1 unit of insulin brings my bg down by 2. So if I want to raise my by say 3 then I need carbs for 1.5 units of insulin ie 4.5g, That's only one glucotab, though when I was younger (and less insulin resistant) I'd have had 10g or 15g of carbs to treat a hypo.

And it also depends on how much insulin you're got on board, as if your blood sugar is still going down you will need more carbs to cover any potential further drop.

I agree with the others that if you are going low carb you need to talk to your team about your meds and also the amount of carb you need for a hypo. You may well find that you need to reduce or eliminate medication if you reduce the carb levels of your diet to a point where your metabolism can cope with them. Good luck.

Joy1988

I swear by jelly babies! Easy to keep track how much your having and not over treat! Also have something like a plain biscuit afterwards.