Over testing - is there such a thing?

Roberto

Can you over test? Personally I don't think so. However I'm testing more than ever just now, almost every hour if I can.

My wife thinks its becoming OCD with me. On the whole my levels are very good, bar the odd erratic morning reading. When I do get the odd higher one which I can't explain it really bothers me. The higher ones are not extreme either no higher than 9-10.

People tell me I need to chill out a little but all I seem to think about is my levels.....

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I can absolutely relate to this. I started over testing not long ago. I became fixated with 2 hourly testing post meal, Started chasing sugars when they were high and stressing out loads as to why sugars were a little higher one day compared to the next. In the end my mum and partner ended up saying that I was stressing too much and you can't control everything perfectly. Funnily enough since i've stopped stressing about it my sugars seem to have settled down. I'm just having afternoon hypo's that I can't quite figure out at the moment.

Hope you can relax a little with it all, I totally understand how you feel though

ljwilson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!
I have recently started testing approx 10 times daily in preparation for going on a pump. I am quite happy to do this, i always like to test before I drive or before i take the dogs out anyway and as I am always up and down to the loo through the night it is no problem doing the overnight ones

Lorna

judyann1

Others who dont suffer do not understand our need - once you have it regulated you will know how you feel and not have to test quite as much but meanwhile, i say test test test, take notes. We all need to be kept on the straight and narrow!!

Pepsi Max

Since on the pump I seem to test more. Probably because the readings are more or less in range. There is something so satisfying when you get a good reading. If its not interfering with your daily life then I say test away!

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

Pneu

I don't think you can over test.. the more readings you have the better you can understand and control your diabetes.

Roberto

Thanks everyone!

Guess I just need to relax more. Last HBA1C was at 6.1 so I know I'm not badly controlling things. Don't have many hypos and when I do they are mild.

Just wish I could relax more! I make fortnightly trips to the chemist for my 200 test strips!!

I've been told I'm way down the waiting list for a pump. Don't meet criteria apparently. Also been trying to get on DAPNE but a waiting list for that as well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Every hour is OCD Roberto IMHO, unless your control is poor (which you say isn't the case) and you want to get to grips again then there's no need to test so often, the only times I'll test as much is when I'm experimenting with new foods that I've never tried before, when ill or when pre-prandial bg readings are high over consecutive days, otherwise it's 6-8 times a day.

Although diabetes does take up a lot of our time and thoughts it's best not to let it control our lives completely, so relax and enjoy life!!!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I test my blood-sugar around 15-20 times per day.

For indeed I couldn't safely get the HbA1c readings I obtain without being a little bit obsessive about testing.

If I were only using meter-read sticks, then such obsessive testing would be overly expensive.

But I mostly use Betachek Visual, which are avaiable here: http://www.betachek.com/uk/store

If they're cut with scissors, then using those visually read strips is just a few pence per test. And that's a small fraction of the cost per test of meter-read sticks.

See the separate thread I started last night, under 'Blood Glucose Monitoring'. And please make a comment on that thread - any comment you like, favourable or unfavourable.

To use 200 meter-read sticks per month, Roberto, is a waste of NHS resources. (Or did I get that wrong? You speak of 'fortnightly' trips to the chemist. So you use 400 meter-read sticks per month?! That is a shockingly futile waste.) I suggest you should MOSTLY use visually read strips instead, and that you cut them with scissors.

So what was your last HbA1c result, Noblehead?

Roberto

So you're saying I should cut back on testing to save the NHS some money?!?

Trust me I wish I wasn't diabetic and didn't need to cost them so much cash!

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
If you read what I wrote carefully, it's clear that I didn't say any such thing.

I test my blood-sugar more than you test yours.

Roberto

Apologies if i am reading that wrong, futile waste, to me sounds like you are saying i am wasting NHS money??

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I test my blood-sugar far more than most.

But I mostly use visually read strips, which are far cheaper than meter-read sticks.

Meter-read sticks cannot be cut with scissors! - unlike Betachek Visual.

It's very simple.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17325644
Not as accurate as 2 others tested and they were already outside the guidelines for testing. With my insulin sensisitivity over/under bolusing could be serious so I think I'll stick to my bayer contour link - which also sends my readings to my pump thus minimising errors. I test a lot like others and find that on a pump you have to. And of course, the new DVLA guidelines require us to test before driving etc. so I'm easily over 10 tests per day.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
michaeldavid said:
If you read what I wrote carefully, it's clear that I didn't say any such thing.

I test my blood-sugar more than you test yours.

Michaeldavid you did write, is a waste of NHS resources. It is not a competition, and how many times a member tests his or her BS is their own personal way of keeping their diabetes in control. Please refrain from negative remarks. Thank you.

I, personally, test about 4 to 7 times a day. That, I find, is adequate for me. I want to be control of my diabetes, but hopefully not let diabetes be in control of me. Roberto, try to take it easy and if you want to make changes, start off with a small change to begin with.

Have a good day all
RRB

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
They are on the UK Drug Tariff. But there is currently no UK-based supplier.

I'm not too sure where that leaves one insofar as who pays for them.

You could try asking your GP. Or you could try asking your pharmacist. (I have recently written to the Prescription Pricing Authority, and I await a reply.)

In the meantime, they don't cost much anyway. So I would recommend that you just go ahead and by some yourself, if you can possibly afford to do that.

Regarding accuracy, as I wrote in the thread I started last night (see 'Blood Glucose Monitoring'), they are pretty accurate for readings below around 8mmol/l. (Nb. The lower the reading, the more accurate I find them to be.)*

But they're not so accurate for anything above around 8mmol/l. So to make the best use of them, your blood-sugar needs to be quite well controlled.

Obviously, when I feel it's appropriate, I use meter-read sticks too. But since my blood-sugar is so well controlled, the visually read strips are spot on for me most of the time.

When I wrote about 'a waste of NHS resources', that was expressly in comparison to the visually read strips. Here's a quote of mine from the same posting: "If I were only using meter-read sticks, then such obsessive testing would be overly expensive."

* With a low reading, you get a result quickly too: around 45 seconds in total. (You have to leave the blood on for 30 seconds.)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I test 5-8 times a day. This covers all meals and driving and exercise.

I combine tests. For example, I eat breakfast at work, so I test when I get in the car. I then use this as my pre meal value when calculating my insulin. I'm not going to do a 2nd test at my desk 30-45 minutes after the last one.

And exercise. I test before leaving work because I'm driving. This also counts as my pre-exercise test as I go out immediately after getting home. Post-exercise is usually less than an hour before dinner, so I combine this test also!

Roberto

Cheers RRB

Exact what my wife always says to me but as previously mentioned non diabetics don't really understand.

Im off to Florida in September, I'm hoping to enjoy it as much as I can without constantly worrying about my levels!! Hopefully more relaxed by then..