1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Overnight

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Ashleyw45, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Ashleyw45

Ashleyw45 · Member

Hi
    Is it normal to still pass water overnight 2-3 times when on medication and getting bsl down?

• Like Like x 1
  2. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ashley, I'd say it depends on how far down you managed to get those levels down. Mine are mostly in their 4s and 5s, and it's not nocturnal sojourns that interrupt my sleep anymore. What do your levels look like?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ashleyw45

Ashleyw45 · Member

Down to 7.1 yesterday from 11

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. briped

briped Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fasting? Anyway, in my experience the better my levels the smaller the problem. I can't say at exactly which level mine ceased to exist, but it happened gradually, over a couple of months, perhaps. It's good that your levels are going down, but a random (?) finger prick test won't tell you much, so keep an eye on your trends over a couple of weeks. It takes a while for your body to get rid of all that excess glucose that causes the nightly disturbances. Consider drinking less tea, coffee, water in the evenings till you're ok.
    Having diabetes or any chronic disease really, we often tend to put everything down to that, which can be a bit risky, so might you have an infection, a UTI, for example? Not that I see anything that suggests you do, but maybe worth considering.

5. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Given your sex and age it could be the start of prostate enlargement.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

May I ask which medications you are taking, please. These can have a bearing on the answers we give.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Ashley

Peeing in the night is very variable, and depends on a lot of things, including how much and when you drink, several different medications, and blood glucose levels. Plus, of course other health conditions.

Personally, the thing that makes the biggest difference for me and my nocturnal trips to the loo is WHEN I drink. This is because my body tends to get rid of morning fluid intake during the day and evening, but if I drink a lot in the evening, then it makes its way out during the night. Seems to be pretty predictable, for me. But you probably have a different combination of circumstances which are combining to create your own personal bathroom timetable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I agree with @Brunneria.
    And our kidneys apparently are more efficient at filtering and thus producing urine when we are laying down

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I did not know that, every day is a learning day!

10. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The number of times my bladder wakes me up is directly connected to the amount I drink in the evenings, and always has been, long before diabetes reared its head.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I guess there was a limit to how well our kidneys adapted to us going from all fours to walking !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

The ureters do have a loop in them (bit like the Thames) which is one way evolution has been slow to catch up on.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook