Oxford/Pfizer vaccines , first hand report

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine 24 hours ago and just want to report that so far I've had few side effects, my arm aches a little and possibly feeling a bit tired but that might be auto suggestion. My blood sugars have stayed exactly the same. My husband who isn’t a type 1 had the Pfizer vaccine and reports no side effects bar the slight arm ache.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
MY 90 year old T2 dad had his on Friday, and was very impressed with the organisation. He got the Pfizer, and though he felt tired that evening (probably because he'd left his home for the fist time in ages) he reports no other symptoms other than a slightly sore arm.

Hope you all get your vaccines soon and the UK gets the virus under control.

Good luck everyone. Stay safe.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine 24 hours ago and just want to report that so far I've had few side effects, my arm aches a little and possibly feeling a bit tired but that might be auto suggestion. My blood sugars have stayed exactly the same. My husband who isn’t a type 1 had the Pfizer vaccine and reports no side effects bar the slight arm ache.[/QUOTE
I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine 24 hours ago and just want to report that so far I've had few side effects, my arm aches a little and possibly feeling a bit tired but that might be auto suggestion. My blood sugars have stayed exactly the same. My husband who isn’t a type 1 had the Pfizer vaccine and reports no side effects bar the slight arm ache.
Actually today my arm is aching more and have felt mild flu effects when out on longish cycle on road bike, not sure if I'm being a little hypochondriac or not though. To put the jab into context, my husband who is a medic had his and I was lucky enough to get some spare that was left over.​

Last edited:

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
According to the BBC news over the weekend, nobody gets to choose which vaccine they will receive.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you have the opportunity to choose which vaccine to do?
No, this place was giving out the Pfizer and had one left at end of day so obviously my husband as front line worker rightly took priority and was told not enough for me but then it was suggested I might like to be the first to have the Oxford vaccine. Keen to have anything really so was quite happy to say yes.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My friend's husband and his twin brother both had their jabs on Sunday (in Sunderland). They are aged 75 and neither has any underlying health conditions. They are not shielders. They got their invitation by phone on Saturday, and both were gobsmacked! It was the Pfizer one. How has that happened? Unless the vaccine was reaching the deadline for storage.

Reactions: oldgreymare

minervaT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in group 6 for vaccination program. Today lunch time I received a phone call from my surgery to invite me for the vaccination. It was a big surprise for me. It is Pfizer vaccine and was asked to go to surgery this afternoon or tomorrow. I asked whether it is possible for next week, she said not known. Thus I accepted for tomorrow afternoon. Let you know how it goes..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in group 6 for vaccination program. Today lunch time I received a phone call from my surgery to invite me for the vaccination. It was a big surprise for me. It is Pfizer vaccine and was asked to go to surgery this afternoon or tomorrow. I asked whether it is possible for next week, she said not known. Thus I accepted for tomorrow afternoon. Let you know how it goes..

Goodness me. Are you sure you are in group 6?

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Wow. That's great news.

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to update my post, looking back over the last 10 days since having had the vaccination I now realise that I did get a few side effects in that my total daily dose increased by around 10/15% but turned to normal over the last day or so. I've also slept an hour or more each night as tiredness increased. All in all quite small side effects but definitely there.