Ozempic question

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I'm T2, just been to see my DN today for update, I've been following a low carb diet now for about 8 weeks, my scales at home say I've lost 9 pounds, not great considering I have no appetite and sometimes barely eat, her scales say I haven't lost anywhere near that and she's concerned, my blood pressure was a little high as well but I've been very stressed with work over the last few weeks, so possibly that explains that part.

Anyway, today she has prescribed me Ozempic tablets, last DN told me I had no chance of getting this medication so I was shocked but grateful that she seems a little more sensible. She has advised me to stay on Metformin while taking this as well to try and reduce my blood sugar as it's still way too high even with the low carb diet. The only time I can reduce it to a normal level is basically by simply not eating anything at all which is obviously not an option.

My question is what kind of side effects can I expect while taking these 2 medications, I know nausea is a big one and I will really try to persevere with it as I know I need to shift this weight to get my blood sugars under control. Also what is the effect of alcohol with this, I've cut down significantly but still would like to enjoy an occasional glass of wine, especially when my anxiety is really bad. DN is also referring me to a dietician to discuss the NHS super calorie restricted diet, at this stage I'll try anything as this weight just does not want to shift. DN has said that she thinks my pancreas is just really struggling now to do it's job. Thanks for any advice with this.

Maggie

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I can't comment about whether you did lose appreciable weight or not, nor on Ozempic side effects since I have never taken any Type 2 medications.

But if you did lose 9lbs in 8 weeks, then this is great, because that is in the range that the NHS advise is best (between 1lb and 2lbs per week). Losing weight too fat can cause unsightly loose skin which doesn't always disappear when you reach target weight, the associated reduction is blood glucose can also cause temporary distortion of vision if it drops too fast.

Here is the blog post which got me started towards my (nearly 4yrs) in remission:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maggie, I take Rybelsus tablets, which are Semaglutide the same drug which Ozempic is. I was swapped to these when Victoza injections became unavailable. You have to start on a small ineffective dose of 3mg for you to get used to them for 30 days, during that 30 days I took one Metformin as well. After 30 days the dose was increased to 7mg and I stopped the Metformin.
I was losing weight slowly on Victoza, I plateaued whilst taking the smaller dose of Rybelsus and now on the 7mg I am losing weight slowly again.
Through out all of this time I’ve been eating a low carb diet of under 40g/day. Luckily I have had no side effects. I’m sorry I can’t answer the question about alcohol as I don’t drink, maybe ask your pharmacist?

Maggie75

Thanks so much for your replies, yes, I'm starting on 3mgs as well and DN also wants me to take Metformin with them. Hopefully my system will be ok with them and eventually it will help with the weight loss as I know from past experience shifting the weight is the only thing that will help my blood sugars. I'll check with the pharmacist as well about alcohol with these. Fingers crossed for a good outcome with this. Thanks again.

Maggie

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox