Ozempic Supply Shortage

Chickalillie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been prescribed Ozempic 1mg for nearly two years but my pharmacy says they are unable to obtain new supplies in the UK due to production constraints and don't know when it will be available. Looking on the Internet this appears to be true due to private customers/clinics buying up all the stock and selling it for hundreds of pounds as an unlicensed weight loss drug. I complained to Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer, but they were useless and just read out a script on the phone. Has anybody had the same problem and did their doctor prescribe a replacement?
Back last year I had the same and was given trulisity instead. I am now back on theOzempic

avisb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Worse still, I've just been told I can't have my Victoza as the knock on from Ozempic shortages has now resulted in Victoza being given to people instead of Ozempic. To be honest, I'm not even convinced these drugs result in lasting weight loss for the people using them for such. When I miss my Victoza I get really hungry. How will they stop?
I have been having problems getting a refill of Victoza. Most pharmacies are saying that they are out of stock and don't know when they'll be back in. I have been using Victoza for 3 months now and has worked wonders for my Hb1AC levels with a significant drop and losing a little weight too. My Community Diabetic nurse said that there was no other alternative than Saxenda and Trulicity, but there are also supply issues with these.

Sophieg

I could not get my 0.5 normal dose pharmacist said they had 0.25 in stock and to phone doctor to get it changed did that but by the time I got to pharmacy 0.25 was out of stock. They have no idea when it will be back in stock. I am still on the metformin so hopefully that will keep control of my blood sugars but worried that going to gain the weight that I have lost and more. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Just have to wait till it goes back in stock. When I spoke to the doctor this morning on the phone he was like your diabetes is well controlled. Am worried it will not be well controlled coming off the meds. Hopefully the metformin will keep it controlled.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could not get my 0.5 normal dose pharmacist said they had 0.25 in stock and to phone doctor to get it changed did that but by the time I got to pharmacy 0.25 was out of stock. They have no idea when it will be back in stock. I am still on the metformin so hopefully that will keep control of my blood sugars but worried that going to gain the weight that I have lost and more. I have struggled with my weight all my life. Just have to wait till it goes back in stock. When I spoke to the doctor this morning on the phone he was like your diabetes is well controlled. Am worried it will not be well controlled coming off the meds. Hopefully the metformin will keep it controlled.
A lot of us find we can keep bg in control by eating low carb, or very low carb. Have you tried this? Lots of support on here

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just stumbled across this statement from Diabetes UK (the other one!) about these type of med:

• Informative
Reactions: ziggy_w

Geet@diabetes

Hi there, someone mentioned Trulicity as an option or an interim choice. I am in Australia and I have been on Trulicity for a period of time - minimum weight loss but levels seemed to be affected somewhat positively. Unfortunately, obtaining Trulicity this last appx 18 months has been very hit and miss. Presently, there isn’t even a possible availability date. This is ridiculous and just shows making the bucks is more important than patient care..

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
What I don't understand is that ozempic/wegovy etc users are reported to regain weight once they stop using the drug. So for those using it as a weight loss drug rather than a T2 drug the effect is only temporary... Surely the NHS (or any responsible prescriber) should be priortising those who need it for bg control?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Devil's Advocate here - maybe they see it as preventing people getting diabetes. After all, we diabetics are constantly having to fend off remarks by just about everyone who isn't diabetic that our diabetes is caused by our obesity. Maybe one day it will be generally realised that the obesity is caused by the diabetes, but I'm not holding my breath.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to ring the pharmacy this morning re prescriptions I'd to pick up today and asked him about my Ozempic. My GP hadn't even bothered to order it for me. Pharmacist said he hadn't got any anyway. Rang the GP who ordered it there and then, called at the pharmacy later this afternoon and somehow he had managed to get my Ozempic. Phew - that's me for another 4 weeks. I was freaking out in between as this is the first medication to have worked for me.

• Winner
Reactions: ziggy_w

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmm, I can see a pattern forming here. I too am Type 2 Diabetic and have been for over 20 years. I was swapped to Ozempic from Bydureon. It is truly a great Diabetes drug – but with one serious drawback. Selfish, greedy vain people who have jumped on the bandwagon due to its weight loss characteristics.

I am so enraged by this that I have been on a personal crusade through the British media in an attempt to bring our plight to the attention of those who are in a position to do something about it. Sadly the vast majority of the Heath Correspondents in the media have chosen to ignore my efforts and haven't even had the decency to reply or acknowledge there is a national crisis.

However Fergus Walsh at the BBC has indicated his interest in the matter. As has our local MP. (I would suggest that we all lobby our MP's as a matter of urgency. The more noise we make the more likely some positive action will come of it. Paul Gallagher of “i” newspaper, who has also shown great interest, interviewed me last week on this matter. You can read the article here: https://inews.co.uk/news/health/mat...ics-ozempic-shortage-weight-loss-jabs-2432792

The frightening problem is that not only is Ozempic in chronic short supply but Victoza and Saxenda are both heading that way too! Thank you Boris Johnson, Elon Musk and Jeremy Clarkson to name but three household names that are denying us our desperately needed drugs. The authorities MUST bring in “Named Patient Supply” NOW! Before it is too late.

I don't take any of those medications, but in terms of Boris Johnson, he is on record as stating he stopped taking it as the perma nausea has suffered just wan't worth it.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

dpixy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, yep I'm currently going through the same issue, they say they just cannot source any further ozempic for the same reasons as you, they have sourced àn alternative called Trulicity so we shall see if it works, because honesty I don't thing ozempic actually works to be honest, how about you ?
I was given trulicity before ozempic and had horrendous side effects including constant sulfur smelling burping and painful gas! I would read all the side effects thoroughly before taking this medication! It also had no affect on control of weight or glucose levels! Not worth using IMHO, don't rely on these drugs, try and make the effort with diet and insulin levels!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was given trulicity before ozempic and had horrendous side effects including constant sulfur smelling burping and painful gas! I would read all the side effects thoroughly before taking this medication! It also had no affect on control of weight or glucose levels! Not worth using IMHO, don't rely on these drugs, try and make the effort with diet and insulin levels!
While diet and/or injected insulin may be the right treatment for some T2s others find these drugs are an important part of controlling their blood sugar. People should ask for medical advice before stopping them.

Suercc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Things are possibly going to get worse. The manufcturer Novo Nordisk has applied for Wegovy and Ozempic to go off licence so it can be offered Over The Counter without requiring triage or prescription and be available to anyone with the money. This de restriction will open up the market, but lead to the NHS becoming the also ran when it comes to supply. and It also removes the oversight that the prescription system provides and removes doctors from the loop. Any problems that occur will take a while to surface and the drug will no longer be subject to the Yellow Card system.

The equivalent drug from Eli Lilly (Tirzepatide) that is about to be released is hoping to go straight to OTC.

Just found out I can’t get my Ozempic prescription. I have no jabs left. I lost weight and gained excellent control on this med. I was told the medication was expensive and if I didn’t lose weight and do my bit then insulin was next. So clearly I did just that !!
Now no Ozempic left. Going back to GP. Hoping it’s not insulin next.
Going to do strict strict strict low carb. So scared. Had annoyed a bit of dietary freedom but for chickpeas, and lentils and a little fruit. Not Mars Bars !!
Feeling really upset.

• Hug
Reactions: ziggy_w and Oldvatr

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
I've been very lucky so far.
No issues here where I am.
I'm on 2mg and have to do 2 pokes. It only delivers 1mg at a time.
Why did they stop making the 2mg pens?

csquare

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been prescribed Ozempic 1mg for nearly two years but my pharmacy says they are unable to obtain new supplies in the UK due to production constraints and don't know when it will be available. Looking on the Internet this appears to be true due to private customers/clinics buying up all the stock and selling it for hundreds of pounds as an unlicensed weight loss drug. I complained to Novo Nordisk, the manufacturer, but they were useless and just read out a script on the phone. Has anybody had the same problem and did their doctor prescribe a replacement?
Elicor: In exactly the same boat as you. It seems that OZEMPIC will not be available again unitil June 2024. I have this from 2 different sources so it may well be true. The issue for me is that OZEMPIC works, and I have been offered no alternative (either injectable or tablet based) just told to exercise more and eat less which I find ridiculous as that is what I try to do anyway. My Diabetic Nurse at GP’s was extremely unhelpful by saying if i was that bothered I could always move to insulin which I am loath to do. It is disgraceful that people who NEED this drug are being sacrificed to the weight loss community who should eat less and exercise more!

Reactions: LindiePops and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
Elicor: In exactly the same boat as you. It seems that OZEMPIC will not be available again unitil June 2024. I have this from 2 different sources so it may well be true. The issue for me is that OZEMPIC works, and I have been offered no alternative (either injectable or tablet based) just told to exercise more and eat less which I find ridiculous as that is what I try to do anyway. My Diabetic Nurse at GP’s was extremely unhelpful by saying if i was that bothered I could always move to insulin which I am loath to do. It is disgraceful that people who NEED this drug are being sacrificed to the weight loss community who should eat less and exercise more!
Alot of the weight loss community's do eat less and move more. For some that's not enough. But I honestly do see your point about that.

Reactions: csquare

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its not just the weight loss community that you need to consider. These meds are being trialled as I write for smoking cessation, narcotic misuse reduction, and for reducing some tumours. They are even considering them for preventing dementia / alzheimers, and for ADHD control/ OCD control. They are also extending it to T1D (pump users) and maybe general T1D and others. so T2D will definitely be relegated in importance when they dole out the goodies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now that WeightWatchers and Walgreens have entered into exclusive supply contracts for these drugs from Novartis and Eli Lilley, they have bought up exclusive rights to supply for the forseeable future, so medical use access will be severely limited for the next year or more.

James13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I just saw my GP today and had the supply issues confirmed. I've had to come off Ozempic (and I was on Rybelsus for a year before that). He said I could go back on it in about a year's time when they expect better availability. I'm on 2 other diabetes drugs and he agreed to increase my Pioglitazone from 30mg to 45mg. I'm also on 2mg Glimepiride.

nirishdaisy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I managed to get my Ozempic today, so that's me ok for the next four weeks. Pharmacist had said earlier in the week there was no guarantee it would be there, but thankfully it was. Hate being in this situation, like the rest of you - stresses me out in case it's not there.