Type 2 Ozempic

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, hope everyone is well. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with being prescribed Ozempic? I am type 2 and a bmi of 32. However the gp has said I do not fit the criteria.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, hope everyone is well. Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with being prescribed Ozempic? I am type 2 and a bmi of 32. However the gp has said I do not fit the criteria.
Have you been prescribed ozempic?
As with most meds, there can be side effects.
But it is a known BG lowering drug.

Reactions: Beanzy

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was prescribed through the company private healthcare. However, as it’s private, I have to pay, and the healthcare can not cover. I’ve been using Ozempic for 4 weeks, lost a stone, no side effects, reduced appetite.

Just wondering if anyone has had any challenges with being prescribed Ozempic from their GP.

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I was prescribed through the company private healthcare. However, as it’s private, I have to pay, and the healthcare can not cover. I’ve been using Ozempic for 4 weeks, lost a stone, no side effects, reduced appetite.

Just wondering if anyone has had any challenges with being prescribed Ozempic from their GP.
I would imagine it's quite expensive.
The only issue I have heard, is it was in short supply at one time for a while.
But if it's working, why not ask your GP?

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP have said even though I am type 2 and bmi is32, that I don’t fit the criteria. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar GP responses?

Reactions: MissMuffett

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP have said even though I am type 2 and bmi is32, that I don’t fit the criteria.
I think there are a couple of issues going on here. Firstly your BMI is borderline for a type 2 getting it as I understand. I was put on Victoza (similar med) about a year ago, my BMI was then 34.5 and I was told it should only be prescribed once BMI is 35 or over. I joked and said I could get it up to 35! I got it prescribed.
Then late last year it became impossible to get it due to the global shortages @Lamont D refers to. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I learnt that oral Ryselbus (Semaglutide the same drug as Ozempic)was to be used in place of the scarce injections. It might be worth asking exactly why you were refused further prescriptions of Ozempic but also ask if you could have Rybelsus instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Lamont D

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there are a couple of issues going on here. Firstly your BMI is borderline for a type 2 getting it as I understand. I was put on Victoza (similar med) about a year ago, my BMI was then 34.5 and I was told it should only be prescribed once BMI is 35 or over. I joked and said I could get it up to 35! I got it prescribed.
Then late last year it became impossible to get it due to the global shortages @Lamont D refers to. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I learnt that oral Ryselbus (Semaglutide the same drug as Ozempic)was to be used in place of the scarce injections. It might be worth asking exactly why you were refused further prescriptions of Ozempic but also ask if you could have Rybelsus instead.

That’s good to know, GP said no as although the criteria states a BMI of over 30, to qualify BMI is from 40. She offered no alternative, however, will see if Rybelsus is possible. Thank you :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Beanzy here’s some further info:

And here is the NPSA alert it refers to:

• Informative
Reactions: Beanzy and Lamont D

ATB123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That’s good to know, GP said no as although the criteria states a BMI of over 30, to qualify BMI is from 40. She offered no alternative, however, will see if Rybelsus is possible. Thank you :)
GPs are able to 'bend' the rules though. When I was still diagnosed as T2, and none of the tablets worked for me, my GP offered me Ozempic. Due to weight loss, my BMI at the time was 19! I refused to take it. So he put me on insulin and sent me to see the consultant. Now diagnosed with T1 and so so glad I didn't take him up on his offer. But my point is, they can bend the rules it shouldn't be a flat no just cos you don't meet one of the criteria. I guess it depends on the GP though and their ex9erience with diabetes.

• Informative
Reactions: Beanzy and EllieM

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I felt if I had seen another doctor that was familiar with diabetes I may have had better support. The GP said she is not allowed to prescribe Ozempic, that I would need to be referred to the weight management department, and even then I do not fit the criteria.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
GP have said even though I am type 2 and bmi is32, that I don’t fit the criteria. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar GP responses?
I asked my gp about a year ago if he could prescribe ozempic and he said there were lots of other drugs I could try first. Now with all the negative reports I’ve read on ozempic I’m glad I didn’t use it. Diet, Metformin and Forxiga have drastically improved my BG and hba1c so I’m happy with what I’m doing.

Reactions: Charlotte73

Beanzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Miss Muffett, it would have been nice to discuss other options. However, I’ve decided to let go of the Ozempic, and work on diet and exercise (along with metformin).x

• Hug
Reactions: MissMuffett