Pain and blood sugar levels

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would totally agree. I don't think I've heard of any research suggesting chronic pain might be a risk factor for type 2 diabetes. I also think your diabetes has to be at certain levels with pain before it takes precedence over the pain.
Hi @cott97 , yes, there are studies now showing stress, lack of sleep etc do pose a factor in type 2 developing.
I think this is how I developed type 2. Pain, stress, lack of sleep and over indulging in treats as compensation :(:oops:
I have watched a few BBC 4 programs, particularly a presenter called Dr Michael Mosely (I think that's right, Mosely is right)
He does programs for BBC and uses himself as a guinea pig in lots of different experiments. :wacky:o_O
Very informative programs, if you use BBC iPlayer you might be able to find something... I remember one called "Sleep"

Reactions: cott97

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also have sleep apnoea so diabetes was always going to become a close friend. Had a high carb day yesterday for no reason other than I had the urge. High BS all night 10.6 this morning though lower when I went to bed. Very stiff back, neck and shoulder today. Previously high carb binges disappear overnight but this one has continued so did I eat more carbs than previous binges (no) so then I am now thinking the BS is caused by the pain. What comes first binge, High BS, pain or pain, binge, High BS or pain/binge then high BS. Do rising pain levels trigger a need for carbs/ comfort food - beginning to think even if pain isn't high at that point it does. Yesterday I thought the pain was easing but it's bad again today so have the carbs caused more inflammation? Rambling I know but it's early here.

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry, I must have missed a bit of info... what is cgm, please?
Continuous Glucose Monitor. Mostly used by type 1's with a pump. Freestyle Libre is similar but can't be used with a pump - it measures your glucose every 5 mins and as long as you scan the sensor once every 8 hours this data is available showing all the results. You put a sensor on your arm ( a small filament is inserted under the skin which doesn't hurt) and you wear it for 15 days. No finger pricking required unless you are on Insulin and driving in the UK.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I also have sleep apnoea so diabetes was always going to become a close friend. Had a high carb day yesterday for no reason other than I had the urge. High BS all night 10.6 this morning though lower when I went to bed. Very stiff back, neck and shoulder today. Previously high carb binges dwouldn't make a mess of the bed so no home cooked meals, lots of sandwicher overnight but this one has continued so did I eat more carbs than previous binges (no) so then I am now thinking the BS is caused by the pain. What comes first binge, High BS, pain or pain, binge, High BS or pain/binge then high BS. Do rising pain levels trigger a need for carbs/ comfort food - beginning to think even if pain isn't high at that point it does. Yesterday I thought the pain was easing but it's bad again today so have the carbs caused more inflammation? Rambling I know but it's early here.
I think this is a similar thing to what happened to me. Before I was offered steroid injections I would get bouts of extreme pain which would see me confined to bed and with a very poor appetite. I would eat very carb rich foods which I knew were unhealthy but which I could nibble at (and I know it sounds stupid but I would eat stuff that wouldnt mess up the bed like sandwiches made with white bread, crisps and biscuits food that I rarely ate when I was 'well').

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I seem to crave carbs when in pain - perhaps as they associate strongly with comfort food it hits the pleasure centres in my brain..

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Continuous Glucose Monitor. Mostly used by type 1's with a pump. Freestyle Libre is similar but can't be used with a pump - it measures your glucose every 5 mins and as long as you scan the sensor once every 8 hours this data is available showing all the results. You put a sensor on your arm ( a small filament is inserted under the skin which doesn't hurt) and you wear it for 15 days. No finger pricking required unless you are on Insulin and driving in the UK.
Thanks. I thought it might be cos I knew of Libre, but gradually building up my gen knowledge! :cool:

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone
Just back from 5th session of acupuncture. Not sure if it really applies to this thread, but we've been talking about sleep (or lack thereof!) and I've noticed a marked improvement in my quality and quantity of sleep in just a few weeks of treatments.
I find the sessions very relaxing. so my stress levels do drop quite a bit. They've been weekly treatments so far.
Today I had a few more needles placed around my knees, to see if it helps lessen the pain. I walked out of the clinic on a cushion of air! Pity my ankles and hips still painful. Not sure how long the comfort in knees will last ..... so far approx. 3 hours.
I'm still "aware" that my knees exist! but a definite decrease in pain level. I would rate usual 8 and now maybe 3.... :cat::)
so if you get the opportunity to give it a whirl, I'd say go for it! :singing::happy::cool:

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've found it very helpful for pain relief and to stop morning sickness. Didn't work for asthma or carpal tunnel for me.

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've found it very helpful for pain relief and to stop morning sickness. Didn't work for asthma or carpal tunnel for me.
The 1st time I tried was cos I stuck a pin in the page of complimentary therapies in the Yellow pages!!
Didn't know which treatment to try!! I've been trained in Holistic therapies, but have let it slip by over the years.
I do still use essential oils (in a Burner) but not had aromatherapy massage for years. I don't bathe!! Only showers! so I can't put them in a bath anymore. I find it a struggle to get in and out of the bath and our bathroom is tiny, so no room for a hoist :bigtears:

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same here impossible to get in and out of bath without help. Bought a hot tub this summer and that's manageable and lovely to be able to sit in warm water again. Have very hot showers and have the shower head centred on where the pain is highest. A 30 mins shower is not unheard of....

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to crave carbs when in pain - perhaps as they associate strongly with comfort food it hits the pleasure centres in my brain..

Yes yes yes.

After pushing too hard and too far yesterday, today should have been a rest day. Instead I had to go see the new house, collect keys, sign tenancy, measure up rooms, meet the neighbours, which is all lovely and fabulous except I'm exhausted and shaky and unsteady and in huge amounts of pain.

The thing that's really chewing me up isn't the pain but my sudden (for the first time in almost two months) craving for cheese and onion crisps. Euan's going up the shop for pepperami and squash and I asked him for crisps. Bless my boy's boots, he replied, in no uncertain terms, "No mum, carbs. You'll hate it later."

He's absolutely right, of course, but, gosh is it ever making me miserable today.

I love, @cott97 , that you say things like "High levels of BS" - that's exactly my sentiment at the moment :D

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes yes yes.

After pushing too hard and too far yesterday, today should have been a rest day. Instead I had to go see the new house, collect keys, sign tenancy, measure up rooms, meet the neighbours, which is all lovely and fabulous except I'm exhausted and shaky and unsteady and in huge amounts of pain.

The thing that's really chewing me up isn't the pain but my sudden (for the first time in almost two months) craving for cheese and onion crisps. Euan's going up the shop for pepperami and squash and I asked him for crisps. Bless my boy's boots, he replied, in no uncertain terms, "No mum, carbs. You'll hate it later."

He's absolutely right, of course, but, gosh is it ever making me miserable today.

I love, @cott97 , that you say things like "High levels of BS" - that's exactly my sentiment at the moment :D
If the shoe fits as you say it works in so many ways. :)

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone
I've been making notes on my pain levels alongside of my meds for pain control
My diary is getting a little bit complex though!
It is a bit early to make a judgement call on BS levels comparing with pain level
Also as I'm a newbie to the low carb diet (week 4) things have not settled down to a routine yet
I'm still experiencing the Dawn Phenomenon
e.g. Last night BS level 6.1 at about 1am (don't ask! but if you really want/need to know follow the thread "What are you doing right now") I rated my pain level at a 7 at that time, and drifted off to sleep shortly after
7.15am BS 7.5 also rated at a 7 for pain level, to me that means - painful joints but not in all joints, and feeling stiff all over!

so will keep up with diary and hopefully BS will stabilise as I progress with diet, and if there are unwarranted highs, I will compare to pain levels (or stress!) to see if that has possibly caused elevated BS

Good luck to you all :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I dont know if pain shows more with T1's in bloods as I know my levels react before and during flare ups.
Same with stress it really pushes up my insulin needs dramatically.

However, does a T2 react or does the liver and pancreas still increase their activity to counteract the effects?

T1's have to react themselves with extra insulin injected.. and tgats why factors like stress and pain and exercise etc can be perhaps easier to identify but possibly not always recognised when women also have monthly cycles, menopause to cope with etc?

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As a type 2 mine has become much clearer since I started on Insulin 4 weeks ago. The libre also makes a huge difference as I can see the difference between 2 weeks ago trend line and the last few days. One looks like a gentle stream meandering through the countryside, the other like a mountain range in the Himalayas.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As a type 2 mine has become much clearer since I started on Insulin 4 weeks ago. The libre also makes a huge difference as I can see the difference between 2 weeks ago trend line and the last few days. One looks like a gentle stream meandering through the countryside, the other like a mountain range in the Himalayas.

So if you can see the himalayas from pain in your bloods I think that may reflect actually that pain is harder to deal with possibly as a T2 than non diabetics? As possibly T2's have 2 things bodily that hit them?? Same with T1's..

Then some peoples thinking will be double whammied trying to cope with the higher bloods (some not using meters etc) would not even know this.. and lower mood does naturally occur with higher bloods and with pain..

Quite significant when its actually thought about really..

Reactions: cott97

maryrachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Beetroot
Hi all. Type 1 for about 30 years. New to this thread and don't post much but I too have had chronic pain for about 10 years. Diagnosed undifferentiated connective tissue disease, carpel tunnel, possible lupus, possible sjorgens, probable coeliacs. Basically summing up - they just don't know. Over the years what I have discovered is that my pain is significantly worse when my sugars rise - not the other way round as you all seem to get. So high sugars cause inflammation causing pain. Today I had a wrap for lunch. 50g cho. usually I just have salad (maybe 20g.) Took 50g dose (50g x 1.3 units) through pump which should have covered it but sugars now 16.7. Not worried about that as it often happens and I adjust (and don't eat bad stuff again for a while) but the point is I knew my sugars were up due to much increased pain in arms, elbows and hands which are my main areas but also shooting pains in my leg. This is very common for me. So 2 things; firstly my sugars cause my pain to increase and secondly if I eat a lot of carbs I have to increase by ratio of insulin to carbs. E.G 20g cho x 1.3 units insulin. 50g cho x 2 units insulin. Anyone else get this?

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Type 1 for about 30 years. New to this thread and don't post much but I too have had chronic pain for about 10 years. Diagnosed undifferentiated connective tissue disease, carpel tunnel, possible lupus, possible sjorgens, probable coeliacs. Basically summing up - they just don't know. Over the years what I have discovered is that my pain is significantly worse when my sugars rise - not the other way round as you all seem to get. So high sugars cause inflammation causing pain. Today I had a wrap for lunch. 50g cho. usually I just have salad (maybe 20g.) Took 50g dose (50g x 1.3 units) through pump which should have covered it but sugars now 16.7. Not worried about that as it often happens and I adjust (and don't eat bad stuff again for a while) but the point is I knew my sugars were up due to much increased pain in arms, elbows and hands which are my main areas but also shooting pains in my leg. This is very common for me. So 2 things; firstly my sugars cause my pain to increase and secondly if I eat a lot of carbs I have to increase by ratio of insulin to carbs. E.G 20g cho x 1.3 units insulin. 50g cho x 2 units insulin. Anyone else get this?
Oh my goodness! It would be something if they (Dr.s) could find out what's really going on!
I suffered for 12 months from nausea and pain under right ribs... eventually on 3rd ultra sound scan found gall stones, then had to wait a whole year for the keyhole op. They timed it perfectly... the day before my 50th birthday!!
Going back to the hospitals to different departments is so frustrating too, most of the time waiting an hour to see Dr for only 5/10 mins!! To be sent away as if you're imagining it all!
I hope for your sake, that they come up with a definite treatment for your problems
Take care :)