Pain and blood sugar levels

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all
I went wheat and dairy free about a month ago and noticed a big improvement in bowels! So I'm thinking gluten free is the way to go. Yes I too feel bloated and look very pregnant!! I go to acupuncture weekiy and my therapist advised turmeric capsules ( vegan) just finished 2 week supply and hope it's helping! I tried adding turmeric powdered to my Korma but will try it in ginger tea. I quite like it as it and also camomile seem to ease stomach discomfort. I have a sliding hiatus hernia on stomach valve so get a lot of reflux. Take Esomeprazole for it at night. Got to be careful on this type of med as I've had others that aggravate diarrohea!! Chronic pain since 2011 diagnosed fibromyalgia 2014 and type 2 since March. I know I've lapsed into unhealthy eating as a comfort thing. So I think all of above brought on type 2. Oh and stress and anxiety! I'm trying to take back control now and week 4 of low carb diet. This was suggested by my diabetes nurse. She is type 1 for over 20 years. I trust her experience and care.
Cor that's a bit lengthy for a post!
Hope you all have a good day as poss!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You too. GF becomes easier as you go on. I found initially I also had to cut out dairy as my system was so screwed up by the gluten. Now I am fine with as much dairy as I like. If the stomach doesn't completely clear try going dairy free too for a couple of months. Also beware of GF goodies in the shops they tend to replace the gluten with sugar to try to give it taste....

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For breakfast have a look at oopsie bread though it uses cream cheese and 2 item banana and egg pancakes. I tend to make with half a banana and 1 egg and it works out fine.

Reactions: Butterfly1960

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My gastro chap advised to drop tomato n onion as I'm intolerant to PPI's-gaviscon, rennies etc, omezeproles...

This has stopped all problems with my stomach from getting worse and allowed some to improve.

No more reflux, bile or reaction from stomach which is a major factor for me.

Not just tomato banned or onion... anything that contains tomatos.. dried tomatoes or onion (like soup/gravy) or onion powder.

PPI's have been in news recently for causing other problems so if you can try avoiding these two foods it is worth it...

They have now bee

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My gastro chap advised to drop tomato n onion as I'm intolerant to PPI's-gaviscon, rennies etc, omezeproles...

This has stopped all problems with my stomach from getting worse and allowed some to improve.

No more reflux, bile or reaction from stomach which is a major factor for me.

Not just tomato banned or onion... anything that contains tomatos.. dried tomatoes or onion (like soup/gravy) or onion powder.

PPI's have been in news recently for causing other problems so if you can try avoiding these two foods it is worth it...

They have now bee
Hi @donnellysdogs
I too am allergic to tomatoes! and onions do not help my stomach at all, so I avoid whenever poss. I make my own korma, as many of them contain onion/powder. Garlic is not too bad, but only in small amounts! I don't like strong/hot curries anyway and definitely not chilli!!!!
I would love to not take so many meds, I'm looking forward to the diet controlling the diabetes, and will try to lower my BP so that tablet can go, hopefully the turmeric will help with joint pain and that will mean less/no pain killers
So if my stomach behaves on the new diet regime then hopefully the Esomeprazole will go eventually
A few months ago I was able to stop a hormone replacement therapy med. I was taking it to help control irregular heavy monthly cycles.... thank goodness all that done with now!
It's great when something comes together and starts to help, synchronicity, I think sums it up nicely!
Take care :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @donnellysdogs
I too am allergic to tomatoes! and onions do not help my stomach at all, so I avoid whenever poss. I make my own korma, as many of them contain onion/powder. Garlic is not too bad, but only in small amounts! I don't like strong/hot curries anyway and definitely not chilli!!!!
I would love to not take so many meds, I'm looking forward to the diet controlling the diabetes, and will try to lower my BP so that tablet can go, hopefully the turmeric will help with joint pain and that will mean less/no pain killers
So if my stomach behaves on the new diet regime then hopefully the Esomeprazole will go eventually
A few months ago I was able to stop a hormone replacement therapy med. I was taking it to help control irregular heavy monthly cycles.... thank goodness all that done with now!
It's great when something comes together and starts to help, synchronicity, I think sums it up nicely!
Take care :)

Oh, wishing you success!

Hormone pills!-gosh the cancer ones really crucified me! Know they are different but they knocked the **** out of me.!!

Hubby makes curries without onions or peppers or onions. Sauce still tastes divine to me.

I got knocked back a while ago from meeting cancer people that werent doing anything to help theselves.. they were the first people I sort of got to know. I though I was strange and OTT.. because they relied so much on meds-one still smoked and said the cancer removed and meds would sort her...
And nhs..

Its so, so good to hear positives here of people trying to find alternatives and coping and doing their best. Truly. Its empowering to me to hear of people like yourself and your efforts. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you... Sharonx

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just read this thread from the start.

You lot are incredible.

Here's a question, though. Are there any men who experience chronic pain reading this? I'm curious to see how men cope with pain and whether they experience and deal with it differently to us girls here? Clearly talking about it isn't a thing for them... :)

But seriously, blokes, how have your experiences been compared to what has been written here? I'd be so grateful to read how you deal with it, too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

You lot are incredible.

Here's a question, though. Are there any men who experience chronic pain reading this? I'm curious to see how men cope with pain and whether they experience and deal with it differently to us girls here? Clearly talking about it isn't a thing for them... :)

But seriously, blokes, how have your experiences been compared to what has been written here? I'd be so grateful to read how you deal with it, too.

Me too, I think there is a difference between men and women for pain and would love to hear how men handle it.

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You lot are incredible.

Hi @SockFiddler
No, I'm not a bloke I know! But my hubby suffers painful joints and back. He's not diabetic as far as we know.
He says he's too busy taking care of me and his disabled daughter (27 years old) to worry about what might be wrong with him!
I keep asking him to go for check-up, but he poo-poohs it. I know he's in agony sometimes, especially with his back.
He just takes some ibuprofen/paracetamol and very rarely a codeine. and carries on!
I also would be interested to hear from some men on this forum about their pain issues etc
Take care x

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, wishing you success!

Hormone pills!-gosh the cancer ones really crucified me! Know they are different but they knocked the **** out of me.!!

Hubby makes curries without onions or peppers or onions. Sauce still tastes divine to me.

I got knocked back a while ago from meeting cancer people that werent doing anything to help theselves.. they were the first people I sort of got to know. I though I was strange and OTT.. because they relied so much on meds-one still smoked and said the cancer removed and meds would sort her...
And nhs..

Its so, so good to hear positives here of people trying to find alternatives and coping and doing their best. Truly. Its empowering to me to hear of people like yourself and your efforts. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you... Sharonx
Thank you!
It's so great to hear from someone else's point of view
I too have come across some people who only want to rely on NHS and meds proscribed for them
In a pain management course I attended 2014/15, there were approx. 15 in the group. They were such a mixed bunch, both male and female. Many still smoking, when advised not to, and not happy about attending the course too.
I was curious about what would be discussed, and got a few helpful ideas, but most of it was to me, common sense!
I believe, that though I was initially in shock, and didn't act as quickly as I could have, I'm now on the right track. Hopefully, thru this group and my own determination, I will get the diabetes under control asap! :)
Thanks again to all who've offered support, advice and encouragement :cat:
Lyn x

Suz2

Hi
Apologies if this sounds confused, I understand pain can raise your BS levels. If this is under control with medication does it still raise your levels or only when you get breakthrough pain. Logic tells me it's the latter but my BS levels whilst I am asleep seem to be rising but the pain is not severe enough to wake me. The pain during the day has now hit the "need to do something" level as it's impacting my movement. Unfortunately this is an ongoing condition for me for which the treatment is strong painkillers, muscle relaxants and physio and for which I have been under a pain consultant so nothing more I can do to control it. As I am in the process of adjusting my insulin as only started a few weeks ago on a mixed insulin I am interested in whether or not the highs I am seeing are real in the long term or pain related. If anyone suffers with chronic pain how much do your BS rise if you have a flair up?
Thanks for bearing with the waffle
Cath
Hi
Apologies if this sounds confused, I understand pain can raise your BS levels. If this is under control with medication does it still raise your levels or only when you get breakthrough pain. Logic tells me it's the latter but my BS levels whilst I am asleep seem to be rising but the pain is not severe enough to wake me. The pain during the day has now hit the "need to do something" level as it's impacting my movement. Unfortunately this is an ongoing condition for me for which the treatment is strong painkillers, muscle relaxants and physio and for which I have been under a pain consultant so nothing more I can do to control it. As I am in the process of adjusting my insulin as only started a few weeks ago on a mixed insulin I am interested in whether or not the highs I am seeing are real in the long term or pain related. If anyone suffers with chronic pain how much do your BS rise if you have a flair up?
Thanks for bearing with the waffle
Cath
Hey, I've had back pain from a ruptured disk and spinal stenosis. I was on blood thinners for a year after the placement of a heart stent. I took Tylenol and was sent to pain management where they gave me hydrocodone. The pain was incredible and steadily got worse over the course of the year. So did my blood sugars. They were incredibly high. So much so that my Dr adjusted my insulin pump base levels to compensate. The year on blood thinners finished and my orthopedic Dr did an epidural injection of steroids and pain killer. MAGIC!!! The pain was gone. If course, due to the steroids, my blood sugars were incredibly high for the following 4 days. After that, I started to have low blood sugars. At first, only occasionally but becoming regular, especially at night. We've just readjusted my pump settings to 70% of my previous basal rate and bolus. The only difference is the level of pain I'm in. So, anecdotal evidence that pain can have a tremendous effect on blood sugar. Hope you are feeling better soon!