Type 2 Pain and numbness on my left arm

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For the past 3 days my left arm hurts so bad and it also goes numb sometimes. I’m on metformin I have been fairly good with my diet. My Hba1c was 36 in March but the cholesterol had gone up a bit to 5.2. Could this be related to diabetes? Waiting on doctor’s appointment. Anyone experienced this before? Worried sick!!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It could be something simple, (I have a rotator issue due to increasing arthritis, this causes pins and needles) but maybe you should try calling 111 for advice?

Reactions: Mandi05

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I know we can't hope to diagnose here (luckily you're seeing your doctor) but it could be a frozen shoulder, which can happen to anyone but is more common in diabetics than non diabetics. It's generally more common in middle aged folk (I got my first one at 50 and have just finished recovering from my second).

The good news is that it fixes itself eventually, the bad news is that it can be extremely painful.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
For the past 3 days my left arm hurts so bad and it also goes numb sometimes. I’m on metformin I have been fairly good with my diet. My Hba1c was 36 in March but the cholesterol had gone up a bit to 5.2. Could this be related to diabetes? Waiting on doctor’s appointment. Anyone experienced this before? Worried sick!!

Hi Mandi05,
I don't know if it could be related to diabetes, but any pain or numbness in an arm (the left one in particular ) could at worst be a serious condition.
I experienced the onset of numbness in my left arm about 10 min into briskly walking home from town. I though it strange but not serious, so I kept on. Then it started in the right arm too - so I slowed down to a snail's pace.
When I got home I sat down and it disappeared within 2 or 3 minutes.

Now your symptoms don't appear to be related to exercise so probably aren't caused by what caused mine.
But in my case it was Angina and my GP was surprised that I didn't realise what it was.
I am all fixed up now - that visit to GP saved my life, since when I was booked for an Angiagram they found 3 badly blocked arteries. 100%, 98% and 89%. So it needed a triple bypass to correct.

Fingers crossed for you,
Ian

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know we can't hope to diagnose here (luckily you're seeing your doctor) but it could be a frozen shoulder, which can happen to anyone but is more common in diabetics than non diabetics. It's generally more common in middle aged folk (I got my first one at 50 and have just finished recovering from my second).

The good news is that it fixes itself eventually, the bad news is that it can be extremely painful.

Thanks EllieM

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mandi05,
I don't know if it could be related to diabetes, but any pain or numbness in an arm (the left one in particular ) could at worst be a serious condition.
I experienced the onset of numbness in my left arm about 10 min into briskly walking home from town. I though it strange but not serious, so I kept on. Then it started in the right arm too - so I slowed down to a snail's pace.
When I got home I sat down and it disappeared within 2 or 3 minutes.

Now your symptoms don't appear to be related to exercise so probably aren't caused by what caused mine.
But in my case it was Angina and my GP was surprised that I didn't realise what it was.
I am all fixed up now - that visit to GP saved my life, since when I was booked for an Angiagram they found 3 badly blocked arteries. 100%, 98% and 89%. So it needed a triple bypass to correct.

Fingers crossed for you,
Ian

Thanks Ian. I’m glad you’re all fixed. I’m hoping it’s nothing serious, fingers crossed. It takes ages to be seen at my surgery, still waiting!

pattycolombia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Mandi, I have left frozen shoulder, mine is been that way for the last 3 years, it did not resolve and is still painful and according to Orto will not never recover full ROM

Mandi05

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mandi, I have left frozen shoulder, mine is been that way for the last 3 years, it did not resolve and is still painful and according to Orto will not never recover full ROM

Hi Patty. Yeah I know what you mean. After all this time I’m still feeling the pain although it’s not as bad.