Pain's

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Yes, the sudden drop from high to low would cause the shakes.

This is a 'false' hypo where your body thinks it is hypoing. 5.7 is not into hypo territory but the effect is the same !

It is not a pleasant feeling but not threatening. You can have a mouthful of Lucozade or a glucotab or just a small carby snack to raise your bloods a little to get rid of the feeling.

Don't be tempted to overdo the food/drink though as this will just send your blood sugars rocketing again !

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
I was diagnosed in May 09, my symptoms were mad thirst and a slight blurring of vision. Then in about July, I noticed some mild numbness in finger tips,feet, legs, scalp and upper left buttock :lol: this was accompanied by painless tingling in hands, arms, feet and lower legs. This was rather mild and did not cause me major problems, but I did recognise it as peripheral neuropathy and the potential for progression did concern me. So I looked into treatments, other than lowering BG (which is a given).
The issue is that there are those who recommend treatments, but the science behind them is not compelling to say the least. However, I am a risk taker and I decided to partake, so I take Benfotiamine daily and also take a cocktail of Evening Primrose Oil, Vit C and Alpha Lipoic Acid.
I would not recommend them to anyone as I would not wish to be responsible for any adverse effects. Suffice to say, that I do drink regularly though NOT heavily, I exercise regularly and my last HBA1C was 5.6. The neuropathy sensations have virtually disappeared.
My main outstanding concern is for my kidneys. I get mild pain in my back in the kidney area which might be simply muscular. My GFR (kidney filtration rate) appears to have dropped from 90 to 79. 79 is not a major issue unless it is accompanied with microalbumin in my water. My last water test was clear, BUT I read that a drop of 5 or more in GFR over 12 months should be investigated. Normal "healthy" GFR should be >90. 60-90 is "mild impairment", but associated with microalbumin, it becomes classified as stage 1 kidney failure. (stage 4 = renal failue). I will have my bloods done again next month so if I am not happy I will ask to see my GP.

All the Best - Steve.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've been experiencing a real bad pain in my left hand virtually all day and it's driving me nuts. :evil:

Despite being reasonably good diet wise.............ok, I know I've eaten far too much bread during the course of the day and a couple of roast potatoes at sunday lunch, but otherwise I've stuck to the programme; I've just taken a reading of 10.8. :(

This is particularly disappointing as I'm now taking Benfotimine and hoped that this would both banish the pain and help keep the BG down.

Having been off the booze for a whole month now I have to say I feel much better for it; but frankly this setback with the pain is almost enough to return me to the drink. :shock: I've eaten grapefruit today after my main meal, poured lemon over my mackeral snack earlier and even had my daily pint of water with a capful of cider vinegar in it.

I'm off to bed now to dream that things will look (and feel) better in the morning. :|

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Upon waking my reading is down to 7.2 :D

Tom R

Hello
There is no need to suffer any pains - it can be treated with tablets which open the blood vessels and thereby reduce constriction pain.
The technical term for this condition is Peripheral Neuropathy
Well worth talking to your diabetes nurse sooner rather than later.
I didn't and now have the problem to just above my knees and the first two joints on my fingers

Tom

JanetS

I have been suffering the neuropathy pains in my toes for about 5 years now, and around 3-4 years ago I went for a nerve study test, and the diagnosis was mild neuropathy, plus mild carpal tunnel syndrome. I also have rheumatoid arthritis.

I was offered medication for the neuropathy (I take Pregabalin - 2 x 100mg, and Amitriptyline - 1 x 10mg). The combined drugs have helped considerably but by heavens, I feel so tired and groggy in the mornings that I have had to change my work hours, in that I aim to wake up naturally - any time between 8 and 10!! - and go in to work when I'm ready. Quite usually an 11.30 - midday start. I'm with the NHS as a Bank Administrator and fortunately they know my health problems and most managers/team leaders are happy to accommodate this.

BUT, this is what I'm coming to. Why wasn't my annual blood test readings taken into account by my GP/nurse; why didn't they invite me in for a talk about it, asking if I had any other symptoms? Because last year I DID have the major thirst, and was NOT surprised to be given a diagnosis of T2.

Reading these posts gives me hope now, in that if I reduce the carb intake, will my pains reduce also?
Because I would really, really love to have my life back! Too much time is spent in bed waiting for the effects of the drugs to wear down. I now try the Amitrip. much earlier in the evening.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My neopathy pains decreased noticably after taking Vit B complex obviously getting bs down is first priority but Metformin can reduce uptake of Vit B 12.Its worth a try CAROL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Unmcontrolled diabetes is NASTY!! it causes all sorts of problems.
It takes a bit of dedication to control it, but in most cases it can be done.
Controlled diabetes acts as if it weren't there most of the time.
Hana

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hanadr said:
Unmcontrolled diabetes is NASTY!! it causes all sorts of problems.
It takes a bit of dedication to control it, but in most cases it can be done.
Controlled diabetes acts as if it weren't there most of the time.
Hana
I agree with Hana that the best way of "fixing" any diabetic complications is to get your diabetes under control.
My usage of supplements is a little specualtive and "boots and braces".
For all I know, my improvements may be all down to my control and the supplements may be a waste of money. If I continue with good results, I will come off all supplements shortly.

Steve.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Bluenosesol said:
Take a look at Benfotiamine. I take 300mg per day. My PN has virtually disappeared.

http://diabetes.about.com/od/whatsonthe ... iamine.htm

Steve.

Hi Steve,

How long were you taking these tablets before their effect became noticeable to you?

I ask because I've just started taking them too. Intitially 1x 150mg capsule per day, but now doubled that to two. If anything my pains have returned. :shock:

When first diagnosed and I went on a strict, self imposed diet and no booze my aches and pains eased off immediately; but now I'm getting pains in my left hand again. I'd like to think these capsules were repairing existing nerve damage, but who knows. :?

Jim

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jim,
I was advised that when you first take them they "set off" your nerves and symptoms actually get worse. I noticed after about 10 weeks that the symptoms had virtually disappeared, though I was advised 3 months (so not much difference). I would say that most times, I can tell that the neuropathy is still there but it is difficult to perceive, getting better and for the time being not a problem.

I take an ALA/Vit C/Evening Primrose Oil cocktail, which helps to reduce the symptoms but does actually nothing to repair. The Benfotiamine is reputed to actually repair the damage (but bear in mind that we are told that damage is only repairable up to a certain "tipping point", therafter we can limit further progression.

But as others have said, good control is the finest treatment.

Steve.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks Steve.

I'm amazed how many people I am meeting recently who are T2 too.

Maybe it's a bit like when you buy a new car; suddenly you spot the same make and model everywhere. :p

MightylittleD

I have been diagnoised wiht T2 in December last year, i seem to have my blood sugar levels under control but my blood pressure is still high. But I still have a pain going through my right hand thigh, mainly at the end of the day. When I was first diagnoised I could hardly walk up or down stairs as the pain in both legs was too great. Is this normal ?

MightylittleD

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think a controlled diabetic should expect to have pain unless they are injured. I know I don't except the wrist I sprained before Christmas, which never gets a chance to get better.
Hana