Pain's

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
My nurse told me to expect some pains in the hands and feet due to my T2, and have been getting them especially in the fleshy part between my ankle bone and foot.
But all day today I have been getting pains in my right elbow and the shakes in my right hand and stomache? it feels like the butterflies when nervous in the stomache.
Does anyone else ever get these feelings at all?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
suffolkboi61 said:
My nurse told me to expect some pains in the hands and feet due to my T2, and have been getting them especially in the fleshy part between my ankle bone and foot.
But all day today I have been getting pains in my right elbow and the shakes in my right hand and stomache? it feels like the butterflies when nervous in the stomache.
Does anyone else ever get these feelings at all?

Hi SB.
Do you know what your Bg levels have been throughout the day ? High or low, numbers ?

As for the Nurse comment...why should you expect pains just because you are a Type 2..???
I'm a T2 and I don't get any, never did !

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Bg on waking at 7.45 were 9.4 and have fluctuated between this figure and 11.3
My nurse told me to expect some pains in the hands/feet as thats part of diabetes.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I've been getting unexplained pains in my limbs for months now; particularly my hands and feet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
suffolkboi61 said:
My nurse told me to expect some pains in the hands/feet as thats part of diabetes.

What your Nurse said is uninformed and frankly rubbish ! Pains are NOT part of Diabetes.

It CAN be part of uncontrolled DIabetes, i.e. levels too high all the time. That is what causes a lot of the pains similar to yours. High Bg levels are the main cause of Neuropathies, pains in hands/feet.

Get those levels down to more normal levels and you will very likely find those pains will stop !

If this continues you would need to discuss it with your GP.

Fujifilm

Could it just be due to age and the cold?

When its cold like it is at the moment my joints ache, makes no odds what my BG is. I also have a prolapsed disc and the cold plays hell with that.

Might be worth looking at your medication, not everything agrees with everyone. When I was on Lantus I had a lot of joint pain. Doctor said it had nothing to do with Lantus yet when I stopped it the joint pain went :eek:

A lot of diabetics suffer circulation problems so cold weather makes this worse.

Think my current aches and pains are more to do with age, everything is wearing out :lol:

Would just like to add, ... when you have diabetes a lot of doctors will tell you every problem you have is linked to diabetes, even if your washing machine breaks down it will be down to the fact that you have diabetes. :lol: :lol:

Fujifilm

sugarless sue said:
Past your sell-by date , Fuji ? :lol: :lol:

Sadly that does seem to be the case :( at the rate bits are packing up it will soon be easier to list the bits that work. :lol:

Still as long as I wake up in the morning I have a fighting chance, unless of course I wake up dead.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
sugarless sue said:
Past your sell-by date , Fuji ? :lol: :lol:
Past his sell by date??
He is 45 - How dare you???

Steve ( A T2 Baby at 53 :lol: )

Dobbs

hi suffolkboi61
alas, pains in the feet especially seem to be a bit more common amongst diabetics than some of our good friends on the forum seem to imply. Cugila is amongst the lucky ones if he's never had them.
Having pains in the feet and legs, which I believe is known as "diabetic neuropathy", was what led me to see a doctor eighteen months ago and therefore be diagnosed in the first place, aged 47.

They're difficult to treat - the best way I believe is to lower your blood sugar to the recommended levels, which as you know needs work, constant work at that, but it can be done. I did that and my pains slowly got much better, although they get worse again if I lapse and eat too much of the wrong things, as I did over Christmas.

Never had pains in my elbows or shakes in the hands, thank God - and it's true that not everything is related to diabetes.
You should certainly talk things over with your doctor. I hope you have better luck doing that than I've had.

Dobbs

suffolkboi61 said:
Even after I started on Metformin over a year ago my morning fasting levels were still about 9. They came down in due course, after I began low carbing, and now they're mostly in the 6s. I'd like them to be even lower. So it can be done. But 9 or 11 is too high.
Do you have a blood sugar meter? It was only when I bought one and started testing the effects of what I ate on my levels that I began to make any progress with this damned diabetes.
The doctor I saw advised me not to test as it might make me "anxious". Deciding to go against her advice was the best decision I made.
Diet and exercise are incredibly powerful "weapons" against diabetes, at least as important or more so than medicines. Those, together with measuring the effects of different foods on your blood sugar levels, will, I believe, really help you.

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Hi Dobbs,
I was diagnosed T2 last November and my nurse gave me a Bs metre, I did laugh though when I first used it as it kept saying HI, and I thought it was a greeting :oops: weren't untill the nurse said it was readings levels of over 30+.
It has only been the last 2/3 weeks that my levels have reduced to single figures upon wakening.

As yourself I have begun low carbing now so will take awhile to settle down.

Dobbs

you mean last November as in two months ago?
In that case you're doing really well. These things don't change overnight!
Low carbing has certainly helped me, as has generally more moderate eating.
Good luck.

Dobbs

Ardbeg said:
I've been getting unexplained pains in my limbs for months now; particularly my hands and feet.

Ardbeg - after reading your posts on the alcohol discussion thread, I should mention that I read somewhere (I think in Diabetes for Dummies) that alcohol makes neuropathy worse - if neuropathy is the cause of your pains, that is.
I asked the forum if anybody would concur with this theory, but didn't get a particularly strong answer back either way.
My own experience is a bit different - my four months of not drinking :cry: earlier this year coincided with the worst patch of my neuopathy (before I started low-carbing), whereas after low carbing (which coincided with a return to drinking wine and whiskey) my neuropathy eased up considerably, due I believe to my lowering blood sugars - the alcohol didn't seem to make anything worse.
So cheers! :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Thanks for that Dobbs.

You've probably noticed I've been posting a lot since discovering this forum a few days ago. :oops:

It's been a great help and real comfort to me...................altho some of the topics are pretty scary. :shock: :shock: :shock:

At the risk of starting WW3 here, I'm a simple guy looking for some quick, sensible answers to enable me to keep on top of my condition without becoming a chemist or physician.

It's gonna be a culture shock for me to change my diet as it is, so the prospect of being able to continue drinking alcohol, albeit in smaller quantities, does cheer me up no end. :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ardbeg said:
At the risk of starting WW3 here, I'm a simple guy looking for some quick, sensible answers to enable me to keep on top of my condition without becoming a chemist or physician.

Ardbeg.

We can do simple....we are VERY experienced....... :lol: :wink:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm digging that hole again, aren't I? :wink:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Ardbeg.

If you need a shovel, I think we have one in the back somewhere.....mind you, you seem to be doing OK as you are ! :wink:

Attachments

• shovel.jpg
    shovel.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 717

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
Well no pains today but the shakes came back again today with a vengence?

I went to the hospital today at 1500 for my retina exam and when I got home I checked my bs which was 11.4, an hour later it went down to 5.7, would the sudden drop cause the shakes? and if so what can I do when they start?