paleo diet

sade

I'm going to start a paleo diet but was just wondering whether completely eliminating carbs from my diet be unhealthy?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Paleo is not completely eliminating carbs. There's all kinds of veggies and sweet potatoes. Some fruits etc. it can be as low or high carb as you want.

The idea is to eliminate processed foods, grain, dairy, sugar and legumes and eat Whole Foods in their natural state.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'm going to start a paleo diet but was just wondering whether completely eliminating carbs from my diet be unhealthy?
No, eliminating carbs it is not necessarily unhealthy. An all meat diet is quite healthy. Many people follow such a diet.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only comment is that changing a diet suddenly can give you bowel issues. It is better to convert to a new diet over a period of time. The best method I found was to find which meals spiked me and then find one that didn't. I replace one with another and slowly changed out my personal menu.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Paleo doesn't eliminate carbs. I think you must have got the names muddled maybe? There are diets that consist of very low or minimal carbs but Paleo isn't one of them.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for high carb veges such as sweet potato - they are even higher carb than ordinary potato so if you are as carb sensitive as me the result is sky high BG levels, just a bit later after eating them.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Paleo means eating what paleolithic people are thought to have eaten. It is not no carb. Ketogenic diets are very low carb but also not no carb for the most part. Completely eliminating carbs is doable but very hard for most people. Keeping some dairy and the low carb veggies allows for a lot more variety in the diet.

Reactions: azure

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I find the thought of the Paleo diet quite attractive a nice steak of giant sloth or maybe barbecued mammoth or spit roasted sabre tooth tiger if you could catch one that is.

The vegetables they had weren't so good though.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
The vegetables they had weren't so good though.

When I'm not sure about something (most of the time LOL) like "what's Paleo all about", I amuse myself for hours googling away to my hearts content.

Seems our ancestors' diet depended a lot on where they lived and as you say, vegetables weren't so good.
paleo-diet-half-baked_3.jpg

I think this refers to modern day and is meant to show how varied our diets have become even where "hunter gatherer" rules.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just think since the dawn of history there have been mothers saying come on now eat your vegetables or your not leaving the table. And put that light out do you think we have wood to burn.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What puts me off the Paleolithic diet is that their life expectancy was only into their thirties.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That life expectancy includes infant mortality and death in childbirth which were both very high. With no modern medicines, infection often killed. Saying they all died in their thirties because of diet is incorrect.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That life expectancy includes infant mortality and death in childbirth which were both very high. With no modern medicines, infection often killed. Saying they all died in their thirties because of diet is incorrect.
Correct!!!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe I should have included a smiley face?

vekay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paleo diet has some similarities with low carb in terms of what is eaten and what is excluded. Example Paleo advocates eating meat and avoiding grains. But it is not low carb and might even have high carb. I have seen paleo bars in supermarket which consist of dates etc and the carb content was very high.