Pancake Day

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its almost pancake day! I remember when I was first diagnosed and starting my LCHF journey I really felt like I was missing out on pancake day (I know its only 1 day out of the year but it i a BIG tradition in my family).
Then I found a great recipe by @ewelina which is super easy and I reckon foolproof. It makes pancakes that are more scotch pancake style. I don't like using sweetener so I omit it, I have made these savoury by adding garlic cream cheese and topping with spinach and ricotta, and also made sweeter by adding cinnamon and serving with berries and cream - yum:hungry:
Please post your tried and tested pancake recipes :happy:

Ingredients for 10 (5 in brackets) small pancakes:
• 60 g (30g) full fat cream cheese/ Philadelphia
• 75 g (37.5g) ground almond
• 1 tsp. (1/2 tsp) baking powder
• 2 (1) eggs
• 1 tsp. (1/2 tsp) vanilla essence

Method:
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and blend until smooth (stick blender or hand mix). Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes
Pour 2 tbsp. of the mixture on a quite hot (but not too hot!), greased pan and fry until golden. Flip the pancake and cook on the other side.
My notes: These are really nice!!! Made sweet and savoury ones, added grated cheese and herbs for savoury and cinnamon to the mix too for sweet pancakes.

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to try these. This will be my first Pancake day since being diagnosed,,,and I really like pancakes.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scimama

Hi - any idea on the carb count for these?

Thanks

for all 10 pancakes its about 7.5g carbs, but that is lot of pancakes! - these does depend on which cream cheese you use, check the labels as some are much higher carb content than others (always the full fat version obviously!) and you would have to count the carbs of whatever you were using as a topping too.

Reactions: MIQ and ixi1429

ixi1429

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried these - very nice. I made the mix for 5 but it only made 3 - I'll have to be less generous with my spoon :)
Not pancakes like I used to have but very nice - had cinnamon sprinkled on top with one and clotted cream with the other two. Lovely

Reactions: Scimama

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have a recipe for low carb pancakes that are not made with almond flour. I do have some coconut flour that I bought but not used so would that make good pancakes

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for posting this recipe & will give them a go. I don’t usually bother with anything faffy that is trying to mimic carb heavy food, but agree on the family pancake day ritual!

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I will serve them up at home too. See if the hungry hoard notices the difference.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a couple of alternatives using cream cheese... so I think it is about time I revert to my former Mondays having Japanese Okonomiyaki pancakes. Will let you know how I get on. Given my hilariously awful attempts with Almond flour... this could be equally disastrous and humorous

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Brenda Zorn does amazing things with pork rinds. Here’s the recipe. I made them as waffles and almost ate the entire recipe standing by the waffle iron. ;)
——
This ENTIRE recipe has 3 GRAMS CARBOHYDRATE. This makes 3 large pancakes

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup crushed pork rinds about 1.5 ounces. Not dust but crushed like coarse bread crumbs
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
2 large beaten eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix ingredients.
Let sit a few minutes to thicken.
Fry about a 1/4 cup of batter in a hot greased pan
(I use coconutty tasting coconut oil, super yummy!). Use medium heat. This batter is very thick, you will need to spread it out. These do not bubble up around the edges like traditional pancakes. Check after a minute or two and flip when brown.

UPDATE: WAFFLES!!
Add 2 tablespoon oil. I used avocado oil. You’ll have to SPREAD the batter in the waffle maker, but trust me. These work.
——
To give full credit to Brenda, here’s her post with the recipe including lots of comments and pix
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/pork-rind-pancakes-or-waffles-youre-welcome/7476

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweet_Sophie

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try these, I havent tried them yet but if you do please report back :)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-coconut-pancakes
Well I tried them and thought they were horrible. I followed the recipe to the letter and it took far more liquid than the recipe said to make the mixture anything like batter which it never did . When I cooked them one side and then tried to turn them over they just crumbled up. We did eat them and my husband did not mind them ...he had them with frozen berries and some Stevia to sweeten....but I did not like them they were nothing like pancakes in taste or texture obviously there is no good substitute for those. I gave up making substitutes for the real thing likes cakes and stuff because they were never the same and I did not like taste of almond flour but thought I would give the coconut pancakes a go.. not a success

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I tried them and thought they were horrible. I followed the recipe to the letter and it took far more liquid than the recipe said to make the mixture anything like batter which it never did . When I cooked them one side and then tried to turn them over they just crumbled up. We did eat them and my husband did not mind them ...he had them with frozen berries and some Stevia to sweeten....but I did not like them they were nothing like pancakes in taste or texture obviously there is no good substitute for those. I gave up making substitutes for the real thing likes cakes and stuff because they were never the same and I did not like taste of almond flour but thought I would give the coconut pancakes a go.. not a success

Thanks for letting us know - oh dear, I wont bother trying that recipe

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have a recipe for low carb pancakes that are not made with almond flour. I do have some coconut flour that I bought but not used so would that make good pancakes
Hi, I found a recipe for "pancakes" with no flour in them! I made them last night and although they are not the same as traditional one's they were very nice and I didn't feel like I had to miss out.

The recipe was for 4 pancakes, approx. 344 calories and 3 grams of carbs :)

Blend together (I used my nutri bullet) 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of 0 calorie granulated sweetener/sugar substitute, 2ozs cream cheese, recipe said cinnamon could also be added but I didn't as I had a couple of strawberries with mine.

Reactions: Pipp

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Pancake Day was a little frustrating for us. My husband had created the perfect low-carb pancakes a few months ago using a combination of coconut and almond flour. Trouble was, he had forgotten exactly what had gone into them and we ended up with a tatty mess that looked more like dogs' ears than pancakes. Tasted good though - the first course was eaten with garlic and cream cheese mushrooms, and the dessert part with berries and clotted cream. I jazzed my portion of dessert up a little more with some sugar-free salted caramel syrup.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I found a recipe for "pancakes" with no flour in them! I made them last night and although they are not the same as traditional one's they were very nice and I didn't feel like I had to miss out.

The recipe was for 4 pancakes, approx. 344 calories and 3 grams of carbs :)

Blend together (I used my nutri bullet) 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of 0 calorie granulated sweetener/sugar substitute, 2ozs cream cheese, recipe said cinnamon could also be added but I didn't as I had a couple of strawberries with mine.
Hi @jayney27 Good that you enjoyed them. This is the same recipe as the one from here...
https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/cream-cheese-pancakes/
Which was enjoyed in the Pipp household, too. Nobody eating them noticed the difference from 'real' pancakes. I just found they were not easy to flip, in the pan like the good old fashioned sort, as they tended to separate in the centre. Seems I will just have to experiment by making more. They will make a decent breakfast, for me as a change from boiled egg or yogurt.
I am thinking of trying the recipe recommended by @Mel dCP too,

https://theketocookbook.com/keto-recipes/keto-pancakes/

As I think the small amount of coconut flour will help prevent the separating in the pan problem. Flipping the pancake is part of the fun of it all, after all.