Pandemic Related Stress

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone..Due to current situation prevailing outside. We all are house arrest, no going to work, no meeting your loved ones, just sitting at home. How much internet can you surf or how many movies can you watch/ how much cooking.. at one point of time you get bored and again negativity surrounds you.
I wanted to ask Is anyone else feeling same and how to overcome these feelings as this stress is really affecting my sugars now.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone..Due to current situation prevailing outside. We all are house arrest, no going to work, no meeting your loved ones, just sitting at home. How much internet can you surf or how many movies can you watch/ how much cooking.. at one point of time you get bored and again negativity surrounds you.
I wanted to ask Is anyone else feeling same and how to overcome these feelings as this stress is really affecting my sugars now.
Hello and welcome, @jonesmia . I am sorry that you are so stressed by the situation. Where are you based? Not UK?
I understand how it feels to have to stay confined at home. During the first lockdown here last year, for 4 months I did not leave my home or garden or see anyone apart from my husband who lives with me. Made use of Internet to communicate with people, and found hobbies making things, and tending plants in the garden. I tried to read, light reading, and not watch too much news as it is depressing. Meditation for relaxation helped and talking and communication on line with people who had a positive outlookon life, too. Life has improved, now we are able to get out a bit more, and see people at a distance. Having been vaccinated gives confidence. Hope things improve for you soon.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that having a routine helps. Mine was
Online exercise classes in the morning
Reading and learning in the afternoons
Tv, film and games in the evenings

Add in yoga, meditation, and limiting how much news you watch.
Make an effort to contact friends and family even if you can't meet in person
Get fresh air as often as possible

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I found pooling what resources I already had & utilising the tech to be creative helped..
Between a bunch of really good friends & band mates, we managed to be creative in these socially distanced times & write & record music. Even film & edit videos for the songs.. It's been a facinating journey..

Best wishes.

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome, @jonesmia . I am sorry that you are so stressed by the situation. Where are you based? Not UK?
I understand how it feels to have to stay confined at home. During the first lockdown here last year, for 4 months I did not leave my home or garden or see anyone apart from my husband who lives with me. Made use of Internet to communicate with people, and found hobbies making things, and tending plants in the garden. I tried to read, light reading, and not watch too much news as it is depressing. Meditation for relaxation helped and talking and communication on line with people who had a positive outlookon life, too. Life has improved, now we are able to get out a bit more, and see people at a distance. Having been vaccinated gives confidence. Hope things improve for you soon.
Hi thanks for your reply, i have been doing same..internet, movies, talking to friends, stopped watching news, but everyday listening to sad news about our loved ones leaving us for ever makes you really upset.
But I have decided to pray meditate and calm myself down by doing some meditation and reading books.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found that having a routine helps. Mine was
Online exercise classes in the morning
Reading and learning in the afternoons
Tv, film and games in the evenings

Add in yoga, meditation, and limiting how much news you watch.
Make an effort to contact friends and family even if you can't meet in person
Get fresh air as often as possible
Thanks I will surely follow your advice.

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for your reply, i have been doing same..internet, movies, talking to friends, stopped watching news, but everyday listening to sad news about our loved ones leaving us for ever makes you really upset.
But I have decided to pray meditate and calm myself down by doing some meditation and reading books.
I would add that spending time here in the forums also helped. Like minded people, and there are some interesting chat and game threads if that sort of online contact appeals.
Stay well and safe. This time won’t last forever.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am amazed at how fast the vaccines were created and distributed. This era is not like the Spanish Flu time. For that I am grateful. As for lockdown, and all the oppressive times you describe, I can only say that it could be worse. In Canada at least it is not so bad, and some poorer or overpopulated countries it is far worse. What I am most afraid of is the collapse of social and health care structure in the coming months, years. Stay safe.

Reactions: jonesmia

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am amazed at how fast the vaccines were created and distributed. This era is not like the Spanish Flu time. For that I am grateful. As for lockdown, and all the oppressive times you describe, I can only say that it could be worse. In Canada at least it is not so bad, and some poorer or overpopulated countries it is far worse. What I am most afraid of is the collapse of social and health care structure in the coming months, years. Stay safe.
Thanks we are all trying real hard taking lot of precautions for being safe. You too take care

Reactions: EllieM

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would add that spending time here in the forums also helped. Like minded people, and there are some interesting chat and game threads if that sort of online contact appeals.
Stay well and safe. This time won’t last forever.
Thanks for such encouraging words. I really look forward for positives vibes and support on this platform.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Jonesmia just sending you lots of virtual hugs. I dont know how much inside space you have to walk about, if you have stairs you could build up daily going up and down for exercise or if not doing circuits of the space you have. The exercise would help you sleep better. I dont know how you get food but it must be very stressful being confined to indoors. Hope you have access to any meds you need. If you can get deliveries maybe you could order some books and pencils. I found colouring books very mindful when we were in Lockdown. Take care, stay well and hope things get better for you soon.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I have found that the lockdown has made me feel much more vulnerable.
I think mainly because we are/were hiding from something that could kill or cripple.
The world was no longer our friend and protector.

I hope that once we get out and about this summer then we will feel more confident, but at the moment little things are getting to me which wouldn't have done a year ago.

The weather isn't helping.
Sitting out in the garden soaking up the sun is always good for the mood, and relaxation.
Roll on some warmer weather.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
As a long time contributor to this forum, mainly because, I was advised by my endocrinologist cos I couldn't find anything anywhere on the actual reason why my body works the way it does.
Since I lost my job last summer, which was a truly horrible experience, I had a breakdown. My anxiety and depression went through the roof.
It didn't help that I was on furlough and my wife has to shield, then later I also had to.
The thing about covid for me, was that I was the only one who could go out. The idea of me shopping became something I didn't want to do. Nor was meeting people.
I only wanted to stay in my chair and watch television. If anyone was going to bring covid into the house and infect the wife, it could only be me. I was scared, frightened, and at a loss, I didn't want to be the reason for the virus, which might be fatal for her, as she is disabled.
I phoned the doctor, had a good talk, was put on antidepressants and joined the queue for a counselling.
I sorted my health. Had counselling, increased dosage, talked, and confronted the shops, I also walked an awful lot.
I am now officially retired, I am nearing the end of counselling and found that the only person to sort their feelings is you. With help, the worry of the day to day challenges can be overwhelming and the thought of being like this, made me realise that I was hurting myself, I am still battling with myself, but it has become easier to cope, we all have good days and bad days and not so bad days. I have met many of my targets and I feel more confident and comfortable with myself and some day soon, I will feel happy, maybe even elation.
My biggest problem was how to cope with only a part of my brain and not having the rest of my brain occupied, my life, was family, and football, that is it more or less it. My job was in sport. And having that taken away from me, was so mind boggling that I didn't know how to cope, and deal with the rest of my life. It was devastating.

You need to talk, you need to have someone that will be kind and you are not worried about what you say. You have to go out, no hiding away. Get help if you need it or even if you don't. Find a hobby or take part in something that will fill your time.

And may I suggest, that because, you have already joined the forum. Find out about your condition, and join in the threads, get the information you need to treat your condition and get good control of your health and blood sugar levels.
It is a great opportunity, to discover why your are diabetic, the science and how you were diagnosed and what to watch out for.

I am looking forward to summer and spending more time in the sun, with my music, my books and relaxing. And of course, getting a good tan.

No one else can do this, you are in charge, if you want to be positive or you want to be negative, it's up to you. You can do this. You are capable of doing great things, talk and walk. Confront your worries and live your life as you once did.

Best wishes
Keep safe

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't feel this way myself because I refused to be kept under house arrest when not infectious. However I have found that I know people who are very anxious and/or depressed about going out again despite the very low risks of doing so. My client this morning has only just gone to a supermarket and I though he was super brave to come into the gym. He told me he'd declined the chance of a garden party because he just felt overwhelmed. But he made it onto a train today and came and spent his hour in the gym with me. The gym is super clean with limited numbers but I could see he found it tough to overcome his anxiety and do his session. The point of this anecdote is that the only way to escape this prison is to open the door and walk out of it into the sunshine (not today maybe!). It is totally understandable that your mental health has suffered as any normal human's would but as Lamont D has pointed out it is you that will find ways to move on. First action might be NOT listening to the mainstream news.