Paracetamol

LittleWolf

I take could try that. A little frightened as I'm on continuous birth control. I stop taking it when I spot which can stay light but with a disproportionate amount of pain or be crazy heavy with the clots. I will try giving it a trial month and come off the pill for the week I'm supposed to. The idea of having periods is so scary to me XD I've tried mefanamic (sp?) acid, does it compare to that? Thanks xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

BarbaraMc

LittleWolf said:
Has anyone used Diclofenac? It helps a little with minor pain but I can't get it over the counter. Seems to be the thing least likely to make me Ill. Mode, it's meant to be particularly helpful for lady parts. The suppositories are a bit uncomfortable but seem to work better than pills. [/url]

Hi LittleWolf

I was given Diclofenac in hospital following knee replacement, but altho' my doc did let me take them for a little while afterwards, he prefers to give me Naproxen, prob due to my age (65 then) and weight (a lot), as he said it's safer for my heart (which I have no probs with). I had no side effects.

You can get a low dosage Diclofenac, sold as Voltarol, over the counter, I think there are 2 sizes, 12.5 and 25mg, but they are very small packs (usefull for a trial), and the chemist will give you the third degree. So I do occasionally supplement my Naproxen with it in place of Paracetamol, (but pse don't tell my doc) !

I also had chronic cramps and period pain all my life, which was only resolved by taking 2x50mg of Pyridoxine hydrochloride ie Vitamin B6, morning and evening, total 200mg/day for about 2 years. This info came to me via a chemistry/biology teacher whose wife was prescribed them by her doc because they stimulate the body to produce oestrogen, the lack of which causes the problem.

My doc said they were perfectly safe, as watersoluble, so the body would excrete any excess, but also recommended I reduce them as/when I was able, on the principle that all meds should be used as little as required to do the job. So, after 12mths, I reduced to 3 per day, then down to 2 etc. and the pain was cured. But bear in mind they also present risks for kidneys and neuropathy, although no-one told me this at the time.

BMc

Moley

I was told by my doctor that any NSAIDs are off the table due to 1. Increased bg levels because it works through the liver and 2. Increased complications with liver and kidneys. I suffer extreme back pain and I can only take co-cordial as it is paracetamol based. I would benefit highly from being able to take NSAIDs but I'd rather not chance it. According to my doctor all paracetamol products are fine, i would have thought it best to check with either your doctor or diabetic nursing team if you have one.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother is on diclofenac for arthritis and it is an anti inflammatory so as mentioned earlier in the thread not good for kidneys

neilrollo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just read the post that asprin is underquestion can some one tell what the problem with asprin as take one every morning along with my heart tablet

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My GP recommended I take both paracetamol and ibuprofen the only over the counter medications I have been strongly advised not to take are sinus relievers as I have been told these will affect insulin absorption.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Olbas Oil for my sinuses. A few drops on a tissue sniffed regularly. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me.

neilrollo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just read little wolf post.can some one tell me asprin is dangerous to take when type 1 as i take 1 every day alone with heart tablet

LittleWolf

Daily Aspirin can cause tinnitus, gastrointestinal bleeding, Reye's Syndrome and pancreatic cancer but as far as I know it is beneficial for cardiovascular problems. If you have a heart issue but a strong stomach and liver it shouldn't be too much of a problem I guess :/

heinemenusch

ForeHead

My wife, not a diabetic but she doesn't like taking pills, uses ForeHead when she has a headache: it looks like a lipsalve, smells of menthol, that you rub on your forehead, hence the name.

I doubt it would be useful for a migraine but it does work for normal headaches.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
I take paracetamol, tramadol & morphine. Daily.
Have dome for nearly 5 years and have perfect liver & kidney function.
I suspect a couple of any OTC pain killer every now & then is OK - believe me just check with the pharmacist - they know their stuff

Aquathia

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, a bit late to the party but recently diagnosed not confirmed what type. I think I am developing a cold I am a bit feverish and a UTI and I wanted to know if paracetamol is safe. I am 20 female I've never had problems taking paracetamol. However I have polycystic ovarian syndrome with opposite effects, in my case I bleed alot during my period and for that I was prescribed mefenamic acid aka ponstan (they are a NSAID) which when I asked my nurse she was like it's fine to take em and had no interaction with my metformen. I only take them when I need em but reading through the forum should I stop using them completely

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, a bit late to the party but recently diagnosed not confirmed what type. I think I am developing a cold I am a bit feverish and a UTI and I wanted to know if paracetamol is safe. I am 20 female I've never had problems taking paracetamol. However I have polycystic ovarian syndrome with opposite effects, in my case I bleed alot during my period and for that I was prescribed mefenamic acid aka ponstan (they are a NSAID) which when I asked my nurse she was like it's fine to take em and had no interaction with my metformen. I only take them when I need em but reading through the forum should I stop using them completely

It would be best to check with your doctor about the Ponstan. As you're already taking that, it may be wise to double check about paracetamol on top of that too.

If you think you have a UTI, I'd speak to a doctor as soon as you can to get treatment.

Watch your blood sugar as illness or infection can cause it to rise.

Hope you feel better soon :)