Parents: Oh wow

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think we've got it!
02b4bd48edf27ada883e6be86a5b2901.jpg

probably all be wrong again by this time next week you you can appreciate how happy a day like this makes me

Reactions: Juicyj

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

I've been hesitating to speak up, cos I know very little about children, insulin and toddler food.

But on the other hand, I know a heck of a lot about food, carbs, low carb and the various variables that affect MY body.

So (as I have read, and sympathised with your various issues) I have been wondering whether there might be food intolerances at play. The following is an example, based on my own personal experience. Please take it as that, and not any form of advice on what you do with your daughter. :)

carb g for carb g I can tolerate sugar better than starchy veg, and they are both better than grains. So 10 g of sugar does impact my blood glucose, but it is no where near as big an impact as if I have eaten 10 g of wheat.

So, in your situation, it would make my carb ratios and the consequent impact on blood glucose totally wacky - just as you are seeing.

If I were on insulin (which I am obviously not), I would have two options. Firstly map out a different carb ratio for different types of carbs. Or secondly ditch the wildcards, and stick to the carbs I could predict. In my case that would be sugar, starchy root veg and non grains. All the grains (mainly the gluten containing ones) would be eliminated.

I do this 90% of the time anyway (minus the insulin) because I feel so much better without the spikes and dips that those grains cause.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're doing a great job @shivles You're fighting both initial insulin adjustments and the honeymoon period, and you're doing really well. A chart like that is your 'reward' for your hard work :)

Don't be disheartened if the next day isn't as good. Erratic sugars are par for the course during the honeymoon. You really are doing very well especially as it's such early days :)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're doing a great job @shivles You're fighting both initial insulin adjustments and the honeymoon period, and you're doing really well. A chart like that is your 'reward' for your hard work :)

Don't be disheartened if the next day isn't as good. Erratic sugars are par for the course during the honeymoon. You really are doing very well especially as it's such early days :)
Thank you! We are meeting with the CGM rep tomorrow so hopefully once we have her fitted with one it will be easier, her poor little fingers need a break from my slightly obsessive testing

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you! We are meeting with the CGM rep tomorrow so hopefully once we have her fitted with one it will be easier, her poor little fingers need a break from my slightly obsessive testing

Let us know which CGM you get. Fingers crossed it will work well and be a huge relief to you, as well as a rest for your daughter's fingers :)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Poor kid is really feeling it probably shouldn't have give a correction an hour before tea was due but she's crying and miserable I couldn't leave her.

This kind of thing is so frustrating, it makes me not want to leave her with anyone but I need some time to myself too :/

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ shivles. Hope you get positive news regarding CGM.
I'm a granddad and believe me grandchildren touch our hearts in a way that is so different to anything else.
I fully understand how you must feel but I'm certain no harm was intended, we just think we know best as old'uns.
If for any reason you have to continue with your obsessive finger pricking then maybe buy yourself a lancet and every time you check LO's bloods prick your own finger at the same time. It can become a real pain, a pain no one really likes. Catch 22 for you.
Good luck to you and LO.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @ shivles. Hope you get positive news regarding CGM.
I'm a granddad and believe me grandchildren touch our hearts in a way that is so different to anything else.
I fully understand how you must feel but I'm certain no harm was intended, we just think we know best as old'uns.
If for any reason you have to continue with your obsessive finger pricking then maybe buy yourself a lancet and every time you check LO's bloods prick your own finger at the same time. It can become a real pain, a pain no one really likes. Catch 22 for you.
Good luck to you and LO.
I know MIL was just taking appropriate action it's just she didn't factor in how small LO is I think (my OH was diagnosed at 10 months and she knows the drill)

I'm afraid I have to check her this often because she can go from 18 to 2 in half an hour, this is why the consultant applied for funding for the CGM, he said to keep testing as I am.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @shivles. Sorry, wasn't trying to suggest how you should care for your daughter.
I can only imagine what you're going through at the moment.
Good luck and I'm sure that in years to come your daughter will be a role model T1 all thanks to you.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @shivles. Sorry, wasn't trying to suggest how you should care for your daughter.
I can only imagine what you're going through at the moment.
Good luck and I'm sure that in years to come your daughter will be a role model T1 all thanks to you.

it's okay even the pharmacist thinks I test too much, it seems like an awful lot to everyone!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @shivles ignore what the pharmacist says, they are not you, you do what you need you need to do to mange this, you do an incredible job, the CGM will give you some peace of mind so will help hugely, hope lo is ok.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shivles, your numbers are looking great, well done:)
Good luck with the CGM, but be warned, I think for the first month or so with ours we actually tested more!!! Knowing what is happening all the time is a real eye opener, and we were testing constantly to verify the data, and testing to correct more highs and lows that would previously have been missed. Now I think we probably still test between 8 and 12 times a day with the CGM, but find it truly life changing. I think you'll love it.x

Nnora

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, from my experience testing capillary blood on fingers is absolutely unnecessary. I always test on feet and the results are the same.
Best!