Party nibbles

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will be hosting our book group next week and would like to serve low carb nibbles....to show everyone that the diet isn't as bad as they all think. What nibbles would you recommend? I am a keen cook and require a sweet idea as well as savoury ones. Thanks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@HelenHak Crustless quiche cut into tiny portions, Parma ham and cheese (on sticks or wrapped), olives, posh salted nuts, smoked salmon on cucumber slices with cream cheese?

For something sweet, you could cut a low carb cake into little slices topped with a dollop of cream and a berry, or have pieces of dark chocolate.

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a great fan of roasted chicken thighs, with the skin, so crunchy, and the bone in.
Cucumber halves with ham, celery with cream cheese and finely sliced radish, devilled eggs, all good finger food. Sausage and courgette slices - on sticks hot or cold.
Individual sugar free jellies in different colours, done slowly so that one layer is set before the next is added, and the bowls tilted so they are interesting. Individual pieces of frozen fruit are dropped into each new section. Most effective if they can be turned out or made in clear containers, served with cream or real ice cream or cold egg custard. I have to go to a large Tesco to find a full range of sugar free jellies. If they are to be turned out, either add more gelatine or make them up in 2/3rds of a pint of water or they will not hold together.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Helenhak I'm glad you put this on the forum I was going to ask the same question the wife and I are having our wedding vows renewed soon and we are doing our own buffet so if you find out any thing not on forum can you let me know thanks a lot?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure . What makes a salted nut posh??????:):):)

Lol : D I was thinking of things like the premium ones you can buy that have a mix of nuts like cashews and macadamias, often in a special salt/pepper/spice mix.

They cost more but are noticeable tastier. So "posh" as in not a packet of supermarket's own salted peanuts : D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Parmesan crisps, and of course pork scratchings...cream cheese dip with celery. ham rolled around cheese strips ... the possibilities are almost endless...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol : D I was thinking of things like the premium ones you can buy that have a mix of nuts like cashews and macadamias, often in a special salt/pepper/spice mix.

They cost more but are noticeable tastier. So "posh" as in not a packet of supermarket's own salted peanuts : D
cashews are incredibly high carb though for nuts...

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Smoked salmon with cream cheese. Celery "boats" with cream cheese. Hard boiled eggs, halved, yolks mixed with mayo and spices and piped back in. Cheese board .. lots of salad nibbles.
Huge sugar free raspberry jelly with frozen raspberries set in, served with whipped vanilla cream.
Try these chocolate truffles or chocolate mousse.. both very rich so only a small amount needed
https://low-carb-support.com/dark-chocolate-truffles-low-carb-sugar-free/
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/01/chocolate-mousse.html

Hotpepper20000

Smoked salmon with cream cheese. Celery "boats" with cream cheese. Hard boiled eggs, halved, yolks mixed with mayo and spices and piped back in. Cheese board .. lots of salad nibbles.
Huge sugar free raspberry jelly with frozen raspberries set in, served with whipped vanilla cream.
Try these chocolate truffles or chocolate mousse.. both very rich so only a small amount needed
https://low-carb-support.com/dark-chocolate-truffles-low-carb-sugar-free/
http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/2015/01/chocolate-mousse.html
A nice cheese board.