Paying medical costs with diabetes

sunnyjimjin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diagnosed with type one diebetis I'm worried about paying for my insulin , my needles . My testers .
Also been told I must have regular dental appointments and eye tests. I'm worried about the cost of all these extra things.

M

mist

You might be able to apply for financial support.

Eye tests are free for diabetics I think.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed with type one diebetis I'm worried about paying for my insulin , my needles . My testers .
Also been told I must have regular dental appointments and eye tests. I'm worried about the cost of all these extra things.

Sunnyjimjin - Provided you are in UK, your NHS prescriptions (not just the ones for diabetes) and eye tests will be free of charge. You do need to have your Doctor sign a form though.

Dental treatment remains the same as before diagnosis. If you paid prior to diagnosis, you will still have to pay, unless your wider circumstances have changed.

sunnyjimjin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If in the UK, it's all free. I have never even signed a form!
I'm 38 and work 21 hours a week , does this make a difference please ? My husband is a casual labourers but does remove on the side . There is never enough money coming in for bills .I worry constantly , I have small children too .what worries me as well is I've been saving up to pay for dentist treatments which I know I need , but then it's spent on children's shoes or some other expensive needy thing .
This is why I ask about paying .
Thank you for answers.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not if you're in the UK @sunnyjimjin You should get all your prescriptions free if you have Type 1. Ask your surgery for a form to fill in for an exemption certificate. You should get everything free - even non-diabetic items. It doesn't matter that you're working. They're free because Type 1 is a long term condition which qualifies you for free prescriptions.

You're also entitled to free eye checks. Tell the optician you have diabetes.

You'll have to pay for the dentist but if you can find an NHS one the cost is much less. I was surprsied at how different the cost was between NHS and Private.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are in England/Wales all prescription items (insulin, needles, testers) will be free. In Wales all prescription items are free to everyone. In England as a type 1 diabetic you get a medical exemption from the usual prescription charge - to get this you will need to fill in a form (@Daibell ) and get your doctor to sign it, then you will be issues with a medical exemption card and you will be able to tick that box "has a valid medical exemption certificate" on the back of your prescription. Your GP receptionist should be able to help you with getting the form and completing it..

In England & Wales, type 1 diabetics don't have to pay for eye tests.

There's no diabetic exemption for dental charges. But there may be some assistance available, here is some info on when you might get help with dentist fees - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

D

Deleted member 308541

@catapillar Could you tell me how much is the cost for a normal single prescription item in the UK?

Here in Australia if you have a concession card PBS prescriptions are $6.20 ( although most pharmacies will charge $5.20) each item. I pay the higher price so I can ring the safety net bell earlier so I get my scripts filled for free.

D

Deleted member 308541

Thanks for the info catapillar, they have gone up a lot in price since we were last in the UK in 1986.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops, sorry. Well that's something to look forward to :)

The only reason I was so certain is the threshold is becoming scarily close, and I am determined go to beyond it without ever (aside from as a minor) having had a free prescription. So far, so good.

Little things amuse little minds. o_O

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oo I just clicked why you wouldn't have had to fill in a form, from reading your signature! If you were diagnosed at 70 - no one over 65 pays for any prescriptions - sorry :)
Thanks. Yes, I've just realised that although I was diagnosed at Age 60. Perhaps I did a form but I never had an exemption card - interesting!