Peerless67 "Newcastle diet"

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A new month, two hundred and eighty eight is the number of pills I have not had to take so far. Only 25 more days to go to complete 8 weeks. It would be a lie to say its been a walk in the park but it has been easier than I thought it would.
I can not believe the dramatic improvement in my vision, I still need glasses to read but my mid to long range vision has improved beyond belief.
My BG now goes from low to mid 4s to 6s or low 7s. I am getting more sub 7 days as time passes I had a high of 7.0 yesterday which busted my best run so far. But I am getting these numbers with zero medications so I am not hugely disappointed.

I have my annual eye check up on the 8th and my long range blood test on the 14th so I will see my DN in the final week of this diet for that result.

Week 5 day 32:

Fasting BG 4.4

Last edited:

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last night I had six pieces of chicken tikka (dry) by way of a celebration as I weighed in at 72.6 KG. I then skipped my roasted veg and had chicken soup with broccoli and mushrooms. I think two more days and I should hit the 72KG
Ketostix still reading 8 (second to last colour) looking forward to some bacon and eggs in the next few days.

Week 5 day 34:

Fasting BG 4.6
Weight 72.6 KG

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
Such brilliant progress, definitely results and improved health to be proud of. Getting off meds must be great. I'm fairly recently diagnosed T2 (a year and a half ago) my main problem has been overdoing the protein intake after fairly successfully losing 2 stone on the Blood sugar diet and then unsuccessfully gaining back half of that weight.
Your posts are incredibly inspiring. Have also been following marathonmona's thread and I really need to buck up my efforts as I intend to never start meds, ever :D

Reactions: marathonmona

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Such brilliant progress, definitely results and improved health to be proud of. Getting off meds must be great. I'm fairly recently diagnosed T2 (a year and a half ago) my main problem has been overdoing the protein intake after fairly successfully losing 2 stone on the Blood sugar diet and then unsuccessfully gaining back half of that weight.
Your posts are incredibly inspiring. Have also been following marathonmona's thread and I really need to buck up my efforts as I intend to never start meds, ever :D

Thank you @thepolly it has been worth it, in another 3 weeks I will attempt some carbs and see if it truly has worked. In any event I feel better, I have lost some flab I needed to lose and I have given my body a break from such high BG numbers if nothing else.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Today is the start of week 6, only 20 days left to complete the initial 8 weeks. I am now doing all kinds of research to figure out my next move. At some point in the next few days I will be changing my diet partly. I will keep to soup for one meal as I really do not mind it at all, but I shall switch to some protein/fat for the other meal. Still a little to to decide as I still am not at 72 KG.

Week 6 day 36:

Fasting BG 4.7

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Peerless67
I would suggest a gradual reintroduction of higher calories and amounts of food. Start with protein and veg in the first few days, and be guided by your meter for all foods, especially carbs. Continue to weigh yourself regularly too so that you can intervene and make adjustments should your BG meter or scales deem that necessary.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well today I weighed myself after lunch and I was happy to see the scale read 72.2 KG on a full stomach 500ml soup and 4-500ml coffee.
But I made an error, I knew my soup was 153 calories so I figured I had 650 calories in the bank for dinner. So I had already got some eggs and bacon in as my intention is to continue to burn fat but try and maintain my weight.
So as I have no way of knowing the calorie count for bacon and eggs and cheese I did a google search as you do.
I got the result for 50g of cheddar cheese (201 calories) 100g streaky bacon (337 calories) and then I searched for 4 fried eggs, without reading properly I see 196 calories. I looked at the meager piece of cheese and the 4 small rashers of bacon and thought ok thats not bad, it will take me over at around 750 calories but there are no carbs to speak of so its all good. I had also eaten a raw red pepper as I had no veg today at all.
After I had eaten it I decided to see what I could have with eggs throughout the week to stay in my calorie count which is when I noticed my error, the 196 calories was for 100g of egg. A small fried egg fried in olive oil (which I use) was 103 calories. So I have actually had about 950 calories for dinner tonight. I am a little bummed for 2 reasons, firstly I have gone way over on my calories for the day and secondly I know that I could not manage to eat such a small amount in the long term, now that I know the proper count for the eggs.

Anyhow 2 hours after that meal my BG was 5.4 so as far as my BG goes great but not so much the calorie count.
I am probably about to jinx myself but today marks day 6 of sub 7 BGs which is my record to date and if I can get through tomorrow sub 7 that will be another goal hit ( a week of sub 7 )

As Lt Columbo used to say "one more thing before I go" When shopping the other day in ASDA I saw some new Warburton "Protein" wraps. In my eagerness to have something that resembled bread I got two packs.
I got to tell you I will not be able to have any, the labeling is very deceptive. The packaging says wholemeal soft wraps Protein baked with a blend of pulses. HIGH FIBRE 10g protein per wrap.

Each Wrap 184 cal
Fat 3.3g
Saturates 0.8g
Sugars 2.4g
Salt 0.67g

On the back however you learn that the carbohydrates are 26.1 g per wrap and they are actually made with a mix of wholemeal flour and pulses.

So it was not the 2.4g I thought it was so my wife will eat them whilst I dribble watching on.

Anyway today I have learned some more lessons the hard way. I have decided to stick out this final 20 days on the same diet I have been doing but maybe throw in the odd couple slices of bacon or boiled egg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In my Carbs & Cals book it has 100g of fried eggs at 180 calories, but doesn't say what it is fried in.

100g of poached egg is 148 calories - what about trying that instead?

Good lesson learned with the wraps! Always read the labels for total carbs before you buy!

Reactions: Peerless67

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In my Carbs & Cals book it has 100g of fried eggs at 180 calories, but doesn't say what it is fried in.

100g of poached egg is 148 calories - what about trying that instead?

Good lesson learned with the wraps! Always read the labels for total carbs before you buy!

Yes this was my stupid error, I should have taken my time instead of rushing to eat. I can do poached, fried or boiled eggs, to be honest the presentation is not the problem its the small amount.
I have been having black coffee for breakfast as I have never been a morning eater, soups that vary from 121 to 153 calories for lunch and then making the rest up with veg at dinner time. When you have 650 calories to spend on veg you get a reasonable amount and I have managed ok with it. I have even had days where I did not use all my calories, but when you see how much 50g of cheese 100g of bacon looks like adding an egg to that in any form is just not enough.
I feel a bit stuck because I don't want to mess up this far in, so I want to stay in ketosis but at the same time I am now 72KG and honestly I think I am now thin. I don't really want to lose anymore weight as I am now lighter than I was at 19.
I think I will continue with my soup for lunch as I find that ok and I will do my veg in the evening but just throw in some bacon or eggs for the additional protein. I have pondered just going keto but then I would be breaking away from the NC diet and if that messed up any result I would really be bummed.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes this was my stupid error, I should have taken my time instead of rushing to eat. I can do poached, fried or boiled eggs, to be honest the presentation is not the problem its the small amount.
I have been having black coffee for breakfast as I have never been a morning eater, soups that vary from 121 to 153 calories for lunch and then making the rest up with veg at dinner time. When you have 650 calories to spend on veg you get a reasonable amount and I have managed ok with it. I have even had days where I did not use all my calories, but when you see how much 50g of cheese 100g of bacon looks like adding an egg to that in any form is just not enough.
I feel a bit stuck because I don't want to mess up this far in, so I want to stay in ketosis but at the same time I am now 72KG and honestly I think I am now thin. I don't really want to lose anymore weight as I am now lighter than I was at 19.
I think I will continue with my soup for lunch as I find that ok and I will do my veg in the evening but just throw in some bacon or eggs for the additional protein. I have pondered just going keto but then I would be breaking away from the NC diet and if that messed up any result I would really be bummed.

Only you know how you look and feel - I am simply trying to keep you on track, you will need to decide when you have lost enough.
If at all possible, tough it out and continue. You have 19 days to go - correct? How much weight are you now losing a day? I suspect and hope you will stop losing weight so rapidly. Remember that the theory is you are scratching the fat out of the pancreas - so you may find when you stop you can add a little weight and still be the right side of your fat threshold.

You have done so well - the progress is so good.
I don't think a few extra calories over the day will make a tremendous amount of difference on the basis that it is a total calorie deficit over 8 weeks and you were super low at the beginning. Obviously that doesn't mean that every day can have more added in.

You have made great decisions so far - so go with your gut feel (or lack of gut feel) but you have come so far to pull up short now with less than three weeks to go.....

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only you know how you look and feel - I am simply trying to keep you on track, you will need to decide when you have lost enough.
If at all possible, tough it out and continue. You have 19 days to go - correct? How much weight are you now losing a day? I suspect and hope you will stop losing weight so rapidly. Remember that the theory is you are scratching the fat out of the pancreas - so you may find when you stop you can add a little weight and still be the right side of your fat threshold.

You have done so well - the progress is so good.
I don't think a few extra calories over the day will make a tremendous amount of difference on the basis that it is a total calorie deficit over 8 weeks and you were super low at the beginning. Obviously that doesn't mean that every day can have more added in.

You have made great decisions so far - so go with your gut feel (or lack of gut feel) but you have come so far to pull up short now with less than three weeks to go.....

Yes thanks Fleegle, I won't be quitting I am too far in, I am just going to stick with what I have been doing and have the odd boiled egg or couple of rashers of bacon with my veg.
It is no longer about the quantity of food on this version of NC diet as I am managing ok, it is just the weight loss. I do only have 19 days left but for perspective I started this year at 104 KG, I went down to 84 KG rapidly but was not dieting it was just a result of my bad diabetes management. At 104 KG I could put on a 36 waist but it was tight and to be honest I was probably closer to 38. When I went dow to 84 KG a 36 waist fitted loosely so I went and bought some 34 waist.
Now since going from 84KG down to 72KG the 34 are very loose I would say I am now a 32 I now have moved a further two notches on my belt.
Maybe I just need to stop over analyzing it and just keep going and just reassess every few days depending on weight loss.

Reactions: Chook

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thanks Fleegle, I won't be quitting I am too far in, I am just going to stick with what I have been doing and have the odd boiled egg or couple of rashers of bacon with my veg.
It is no longer about the quantity of food on this version of NC diet as I am managing ok, it is just the weight loss. I do only have 19 days left but for perspective I started this year at 104 KG, I went down to 84 KG rapidly but was not dieting it was just a result of my bad diabetes management. At 104 KG I could put on a 36 waist but it was tight and to be honest I was probably closer to 38. When I went dow to 84 KG a 36 waist fitted loosely so I went and bought some 34 waist.
Now since going from 84KG down to 72KG the 34 are very loose I would say I am now a 32 I now have moved a further two notches on my belt.
Maybe I just need to stop over analyzing it and just keep going and just reassess every few days depending on weight loss.
Not an easy problem to resolve but I think the idaa of seeing how it goes does sound really sensible.

thepolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not keeping motivated, eating when not hungry too much of the time. Need to up my distractions
I found quite a lot of 'low carb bread' recipes but most tend to be high in calories as they are almond meal/coconut flour based and usually contain quite a few eggs. For fried if you have a really good pan then over easy works well and uses much less oil - when the bottom is cooked, just flip them over and you still get a lovely runny middle but with all the white cooked and not too greasy :) Also can use very thin omelettes as wraps although it isn't the same.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Peerless67 I have been watching your progress in amazement. Have you considered asking your surgery for a full blood count when you are done.

Peerless67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Peerless67 I have been watching your progress in amazement. Have you considered asking your surgery for a full blood count when you are done.

Hi Mbaker, not completely sure what you mean by a full blood count but my DN moved my blood test forward from the beginning of November to the 14th of September (my long range test). I have the form right here and it states to fast. Tests required Haemoglobin A1c level, blood lipids level, blood liver function profile, blood thyroid stimulating hormone, blood urea and electrolytes, blood.
So allowing a few days for the result of those back I will see my DN sometime in the final week of the 8 weeks part of the diet, which ends on the 26th September. From memory my last 2 long range tests were 120 and 102 respectively although I really need to get a print out of all those results to confirm 100%
I am not to sure what to expect for the long range test it would be great if it was low but I expect because of the way the test works the one three months later will probably be a better indicator ?