Percentage of carbs/fat/protein LCHF

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Help please lovely people
I'm getting into the swing of things with testing my BG levels and have done a good food shop with all the right things.
I've been really good today, poached eggs, 2 bacon medallions and 2 sausages before work and then tuna in oil with salad for tea while at work and sugar free jelly and a dash of cream. Now my app says I've had very low carbs which is good, but my protein is higher than it should be...fat is under the percentage. I'm so confused as I thought I'd been good.....any help please.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So, how much protein is too high? And why would higher protein be a bad thing? Your app is a guide, it is not tailored to your personal needs and we all differ. As for fats, the general rule is to eat fats and protein to satiety. Personally, I count carbs and leave the rest for my body to decide.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, how much protein is too high? And why would higher protein be a bad thing? Your app is a guide, it is not tailored to your personal needs and we all differ. As for fats, the general rule is to eat fats and protein to satiety. Personally, I count carbs and leave the rest for my body to decide.
I'm getting in a right tizz haha. My brain has always been told diet = low fat and now I'm starting this all new, and as a pre D I want to do the best for my body. I've set my levels at 55%fat 30% protein and 15% carbs. The protein I've eaten is saying 56% (70grams). Please excuse me if I'm being dim, I am learning as quick as possible.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm getting in a right tizz haha. My brain has always been told diet = low fat and now I'm starting this all new, and as a pre D I want to do the best for my body. I've set my levels at 55%fat 30% protein and 15% carbs. The protein I've eaten is saying 56% (70grams). Please excuse me if I'm being dim, I am learning as quick as possible.

You're doing well. It is very easy to get hung up about numbers at the beginning. If your bg is improving and you are feeling quite well then that means you're doing great. Use the app as a general guide, just to put things into perspective for you the RDA states that protein levels should be 0.87g of protein per 1kg bodyweight per day for the general population but this figure is a contentious one. I have seen figures quoted anywhere between 0.87g and 2.0g per kg bodyweight. Who knows what the parameters are for protein on your app. Keep testing, keep tweaking!

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing well. It is very easy to get hung up about numbers at the beginning. If your bg is improving and you are feeling quite well then that means you're doing great. Use the app as a general guide, just to put things into perspective for you the RDA states that protein levels should be 0.87g of protein per 1kg bodyweight per day for the general population but this figure is a contentious one. I have seen figures quoted anywhere between 0.87g and 2.0g per kg bodyweight. Who knows what the parameters are for protein on your app. Keep testing, keep tweaking!
Thank you. My bg levels haven't been that high but that could be due to only being pre D. They've varied between 6.9 on waking and up to 9.6. Today they have been 5.4 before and after eating. So yes they look.good so far.

Reactions: Daphne917

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. as you will have gathered from the other posts you have to re-program your brain to do the opposite of low-fat. I always say keep the carbs down and have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full. Your weight and blood will guide you on whether to modify portion sizes. In principle there is no real limit to fats and proteins but they will affect BS and weight just a bit.