1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Peripheral Neuropathy Confusion

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Shorton72, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Shorton72

Shorton72 · Newbie

Hi, I'm new here and would love some advice. I went on the Keto diet April of 2018 and my numbness went away after 3 weeks. I stayed on the diet and early this year, added in Keto cocoa with Stevia. I drank it multiple times a day for a couple months straight and my numbness came back. I stopped drinking it and went lower carb, adding foods under the dairy umbrella, plus I ate meats, low carb veggies and strawberries. After 1.5 months, I still have blurry vision and numbness and now I'm feeling a lot of pain in my feet. My blood sugar is always high. I wake feeling almost normal, but within 15 minutes, I start to feel my limbs going numb. It slowly gets 70% better when I get out of bed and go about my day. I'm always at least a little numb. But as soon as I eat, I feel like I'm wearing tight boots and tight sleeves attached to an electrocution machine. Now I'm back to the basics..meat, vegetables, and strawberries only, but I can still feel my body go numb after eating just that and it scares me. I don't know how to stop it. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Shorton and welcome!
    First I’ll post this link to useful info we give to all new members.
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
    Can you answer a few questions first to see if we can help you.
    Do you take any medications? Do you test your blood sugars yourself, if so what readings are you getting? And lastly can you tell us what you eat and drink in a typical day, yesterday for example.
    But aside from all, this a visit to your Dr is probably in order too.

3. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Shorton72 - did you mean to post this in the Veggie forum, or did you want it in a wider discussion area?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, well spotted @WuTwo! @Shorton72 let us know here on this thread if you want your post moved and where to?
    I’d suggest ‘Newly Diagnosed’.

Edited for typo.

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Rachox, Jul 20, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

What type of Diabetes do you have?

6. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you talked to your doctor about this? A neurologist can perform tests to see if it is your nerves causing this or not.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook