Peripheral neuropathy in left arm.

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I went to A & E on Saturday as I was getting tingling and numbness in my left hand, arm, shoulder and the left side of my face. I thought I may be having a stroke but the consultant seems to think it is due to uncontrolled diabetes and high blood pressure. I am a bit surprised at this as thought you got PN in your feet first and also thought that my diabetes was meant to be well controlled. Has anyone else experienced this in their arms and face. I am having an MRI and other tests as well.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not everything is diabetes related. Those symptoms in me can be the start of a migraine for example.
What are your bg numbers?

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to A & E on Saturday as I was getting tingling and numbness in my left hand, arm, shoulder and the left side of my face. I thought I may be having a stroke but the consultant seems to think it is due to uncontrolled diabetes and high blood pressure. I am a bit surprised at this as thought you got PN in your feet first and also thought that my diabetes was meant to be well controlled. Has anyone else experienced this in their arms and face. I am having an MRI and other tests as well.
I certainly had neuropathy at much lower BG numbers than yours. I have some permanent damage but it's nothing like it used to be. As I understand it (Bilous and Donnelly again) the nerve damage caused by high glucose is likely to be detected in the longest nerves first, so these are usually the ones going to the feet. The attached image is from B&D. In general, getting your BGs down a bit is usually a good thing in itself, and might have some impact on what you're experiencing.

Years ago I had similar numbness and tingling in my left shoulder/arm/hand, but that was down to a pinched nerve. So it could be any number of things - it's not always diabetes.

Attachments

• Fig.17.3.jpg
    Fig.17.3.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 61

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sunnysky It was peculiar tics and trembles and tingles in my hands ,mostly my left hand, and mostly in bed at night, for months that took me to the GP last August. She suggested diabetic neuropathy or a calcium deficit. I also had terrible toothache that I now think was nerve pain. Both have cleared up completely (touch wood) since my blood sugars came down, My initial hba1c was 54

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I certainly had neuropathy at much lower BG numbers than yours. I have some permanent damage but it's nothing like it used to be. As I understand it (Bilous and Donnelly again) the nerve damage caused by high glucose is likely to be detected in the longest nerves first, so these are usually the ones going to the feet. The attached image is from B&D. In general, getting your BGs down a bit is usually a good thing in itself, and might have some impact on what you're experiencing.

Years ago I had similar numbness and tingling in my left shoulder/arm/hand, but that was down to a pinched nerve. So it could be any number of things - it's not always diabetes.
Hi Kenny, I thought you only got peripheral neuropathy when uncontrolled very high sugar levels for years so this has come as a shock. My HbA1c levels have never been more than 51.

My feet seem unaffected which is odd if that's usually the area that's affected first but the whole of my left arm up to neck and left side of face is affected.

The consultant seemed sure it was due to un-controlled diabetes and blood pressure and he's prescribed metformin and candestartan. My blood pressure was really high for a week following lots of stressful events. I was meant to be starting semaglutide this week but they seem to want me to do the metformin instead.

How did you deal with your neuropathy and were you surprised to find out you had it?

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Not everything is diabetes related. Those symptoms in me can be the start of a migraine for example.
What are your bg numbers?
My Hba1c is 51 and usually a bit lower over the last few years.

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @Sunnysky It was peculiar tics and trembles and tingles in my hands ,mostly my left hand, and mostly in bed at night, for months that took me to the GP last August. She suggested diabetic neuropathy or a calcium deficit. I also had terrible toothache that I now think was nerve pain. Both have cleared up completely (touch wood) since my blood sugars came down, My initial hba1c was 54
Hi Margaret
Glad to hear they have been resolved. How did you get your blood sugar down?

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Based on what tests?
They did a CT scan of head which was OK and US of neck to check carotid arteries. They also did some blood tests to check vitamins D, B12, folate and blood sugar. I'm a bit low in Vit D and have been given supplements but others are OK.

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Margaret, how did you get your blood sugars down?

I've been trying to do low carb for years but not very successfully.

I hate taking medication but given that I've been told the numbness and tingling is due to diabetes and blood pressure I feel I would be silly not to.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kenny, I thought you only got peripheral neuropathy when uncontrolled very high sugar levels for years so this has come as a shock. My HbA1c levels have never been more than 51.

My feet seem unaffected which is odd if that's usually the area that's affected first but the whole of my left arm up to neck and left side of face is affected.

The consultant seemed sure it was due to un-controlled diabetes and blood pressure and he's prescribed metformin and candestartan. My blood pressure was really high for a week following lots of stressful events. I was meant to be starting semaglutide this week but they seem to want me to do the metformin instead.

How did you deal with your neuropathy and were you surprised to find out you had it?
Hi Sunnysky.

I began to develop neuropathy around 2014 when my HbA1c was about 43. This was only one of a number of diabetic symptoms - I was developing new stuff all the time - kidney problems, weight gain, oedema, and more. I was firmly told that I wasn't diabetic, as my BG wasn't high enough, and therefore it couldn't be diabetic neuropathy. But it was.

I wasn't surprised I had it. I was surprised that none of the GPs I saw over a period of getting on ten years with a range of classic T2 diabetic symptoms ever suggested it was in fact T2. Dr Google had already stated T2, and I mentioned this to the GP, to receive the "your blood glucose isn't high enough" reply. Dr Google's alternative idea was cancer....

Once I was finally told I actually had T2, (HbA1c of 50) I started low carb straight away and went to 20g/day. No medication. The worst of the neuropathy was gone in four months as my A1c fell to 36. I have some permanent damage in the form of a mild tingle, but it's neither painful nor annoying.

The NHS' own handbook says that around 20% newly diagnosed people with T2 already have evidence of vascular complications, which suggests that complications begin 5-6 years before diagnosis is made. In my view this is a consequence of the decision only to diagnose T2 at "A1c of >48" which means that there are going to be a fair number of people who actually have diabetes - symptoms etc - at lower BG levels and who are not being picked up for treatment. The "diagnosis at 48" is not good for patients.

• Informative
Reactions: ianf0ster

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Sunnysky.

I began to develop neuropathy around 2014 when my HbA1c was about 43. This was only one of a number of diabetic symptoms - I was developing new stuff all the time - kidney problems, weight gain, oedema, and more. I was firmly told that I wasn't diabetic, as my BG wasn't high enough, and therefore it couldn't be diabetic neuropathy. But it was.

I wasn't surprised I had it. I was surprised that none of the GPs I saw over a period of getting on ten years with a range of classic T2 diabetic symptoms ever suggested it was in fact T2. Dr Google had already stated T2, and I mentioned this to the GP, to receive the "your blood glucose isn't high enough" reply. Dr Google's alternative idea was cancer....

Once I was finally told I actually had T2, (HbA1c of 50) I started low carb straight away and went to 20g/day. No medication. The worst of the neuropathy was gone in four months as my A1c fell to 36. I have some permanent damage in the form of a mild tingle, but it's neither painful nor annoying.

The NHS' own handbook says that around 20% newly diagnosed people with T2 already have evidence of vascular complications, which suggests that complications begin 5-6 years before diagnosis is made. In my view this is a consequence of the decision only to diagnose T2 at "A1c of >48" which means that there are going to be a fair number of people who actually have diabetes - symptoms etc - at lower BG levels and who are not being picked up for treatment. The "diagnosis at 48" is not good for patients.
Thankyou for sharing your story it's really interesting.
I've tried low carb but haven't been able to stick to it. How have you found it?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for sharing your story it's really interesting.
I've tried low carb but haven't been able to stick to it. How have you found it?
I started in December 2019 on 20g/day or thereabouts, still going, so in my fifth year. I honestly don't find it a struggle. I will have meals very occasionally where I go above that, but I find I'm still staying relatively low.

I have a choice of either eating the carbs or having the diabetic symptoms back. That's a very easy choice to make.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Margaret
Glad to hear they have been resolved. How did you get your blood sugar down?
I have a choice of either eating the carbs or having the diabetic symptoms back. That's a very easy choice to make.
To be honest it all comes down to what Kenny says. I've been low carb since mid August and haven't knowingly eaten more than 20g carbs a day ever since (although I did have some misadventures with nicotine lozengers that we don't talk about)
I say keto but I'm really terrible at keto I drink diet coke and I have a freezer full of low carb cakes and rolls and wraps even sausage rolls as I type I'm working my way through a bag of low carb licorice and a mug of cocoa with cheap sugar and carb free creamer in it. I'm just home from work and deserve it.
I'm a terrible example of how to maintain a healthy diet as what I do is find low carb ways to mimic the way I used to eat BUT most days I only have around a dozen carbs and my hbalc has came down from 54 to 43 and I've lost lots of weight and sorted my blood pressure.
I wouldn't be able to maintain the more purist healthy way some people do it so I don't necessarily advice you do it my way personally I believe the carb tally is the important thing and everyone has to find there own way there.
I've just spotted a box of Keto chocolate treats on the shelf where I am storing everybody's Easter Eggs. Someone (hopefully my husband) is learning how this works.
Good luck

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest it all comes down to what Kenny says. I've been low carb since mid August and haven't knowingly eaten more than 20g carbs a day ever since (although I did have some misadventures with nicotine lozengers that we don't talk about)
I say keto but I'm really terrible at keto I drink diet coke and I have a freezer full of low carb cakes and rolls and wraps even sausage rolls as I type I'm working my way through a bag of low carb licorice and a mug of cocoa with cheap sugar and carb free creamer in it. I'm just home from work and deserve it.
I'm a terrible example of how to maintain a healthy diet as what I do is find low carb ways to mimic the way I used to eat BUT most days I only have around a dozen carbs and my hbalc has came down from 54 to 43 and I've lost lots of weight and sorted my blood pressure.
I wouldn't be able to maintain the more purist healthy way some people do it so I don't necessarily advice you do it my way personally I believe the carb tally is the important thing and everyone has to find there own way there.
I've just spotted a box of Keto chocolate treats on the shelf where I am storing everybody's Easter Eggs. Someone (hopefully my husband) is learning how this works.
Good luck
I am certainly not the health purist referred to here!

Just the 20g, thank you.

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I started in December 2019 on 20g/day or thereabouts, still going, so in my fifth year. I honestly don't find it a struggle. I will have meals very occasionally where I go above that, but I find I'm still staying relatively low.

Have you ever taken medication for diabetes and have you lost a lot of weight on low carb? Do you count carbs every day?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good luck
Hi Margaret

Sounds a great way of eating. Just wondering if you ever took diabetes medication or just go straight onto low carb like Kenny?

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds a great way of eating. Just wondering if you ever took diabetes medication or just go straight onto low carb like Kenny?
No meds so far. Straight on to 20 carbs a day, every single day. Christmas day was 18 but I promise I have not yet felt deprived or hungry . I truly enjoy my creamy cheesey meals