Type 2 Peripheral Neuropathy?

EsoxLucius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting down on the floor or ground to do a job. I never did like this even when I was younger, slimmer and fitter!
Ironing - I can do it, but I'm very slow at it.
Shopping - A typical man, I guess!
For several years now, I get a tingling, pins & needles/ numb sensation in my feet, usually when I go out for a long walk (about one hour), and I've never brought this up before. I was diagnosed with T2 about five years ago and I take the usual Metformin tablets. When I've done a blood glucose test, the readings are usually within the normal range. I'm seeing the diabetic clinician at my surgery in two days and I will ask if it is possibly peripheral neuropathy and if so, why do I have it if the medication is controlling and containing my diabetes. Have any of you had a similar history as me?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you say your readings are usually within the normal range when you do a blood test, when exactly do you test, and what sort of readings do you see?

If all you are taking is Metformin, you can't rely on it to control and contain your diabetes. It helps, but only to a limited extent, and mainly just with your morning fasting level. It certainly doesn't prevent high spikes after eating, and any high spikes may cause damage.

Do mention it to your clinician and ask him/her to do a proper foot check for sensation and pulse.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had severely tingling feet for a long time, sometimes just sitting an I often get them in my hands in the morning when I first wake up. I have noticed though that this tingling is receeding since my blood sugars entered more normal ranges . I don't take any diabetes medications currently

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
For several years now, I get a tingling, pins & needles/ numb sensation in my feet, usually when I go out for a long walk (about one hour), and I've never brought this up before. I was diagnosed with T2 about five years ago and I take the usual Metformin tablets. When I've done a blood glucose test, the readings are usually within the normal range. I'm seeing the diabetic clinician at my surgery in two days and I will ask if it is possibly peripheral neuropathy and if so, why do I have it if the medication is controlling and containing my diabetes. Have any of you had a similar history as me?

The complications develop slowly, & the guidelines for BG readings can be inadequate - particularly the 2 hour after meals. Try one hour after meals & you are likely to see a reading in the teens.

I was diagnosed when I reported a numbness in one leg which gave the impression that the leg wasn't supporting me - disconcerting when I was playing tennis. I followed the Dr's advice (NHS & DUK diet) until after about 8 years the numbness became crippling pain. My HbA1c was 6.7 & acceptable to the Dr. He suggested referral to hospital.

I found this forum & received the advice to cut the carbs. I did, & in 3 months was out of pain & back on the tennis court. I discovered that a carb breakfast would send my BG into the teens one hour after, but it would be down to 7-8 2 hours after, & down below 5. Fast up & fast down.

On low carb it rarely goes above 9, & I am still fit & well & active.

The numbness disappeared & has not returned. But my HbA1c is about 6.6, so the large fluctuations may give a reasonable HbA1c, but the rapid rise would appear to be the cause of the trouble.

EsoxLucius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting down on the floor or ground to do a job. I never did like this even when I was younger, slimmer and fitter!
The complications develop slowly, & the guidelines for BG readings can be inadequate - particularly the 2 hour after meals. Try one hour after meals & you are likely to see a reading in the teens.

I was diagnosed when I reported a numbness in one leg which gave the impression that the leg wasn't supporting me - disconcerting when I was playing tennis. I followed the Dr's advice (NHS & DUK diet) until after about 8 years the numbness became crippling pain. My HbA1c was 6.7 & acceptable to the Dr. He suggested referral to hospital.

I found this forum & received the advice to cut the carbs. I did, & in 3 months was out of pain & back on the tennis court. I discovered that a carb breakfast would send my BG into the teens one hour after, but it would be down to 7-8 2 hours after, & down below 5. Fast up & fast down.

On low carb it rarely goes above 9, & I am still fit & well & active.

The numbness disappeared & has not returned. But my HbA1c is about 6.6, so the large fluctuations may give a reasonable HbA1c, but the rapid rise would appear to be the cause of the trouble.

Thank you, I'll take your advice.

EsoxLucius

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When you say your readings are usually within the normal range when you do a blood test, when exactly do you test, and what sort of readings do you see?

If all you are taking is Metformin, you can't rely on it to control and contain your diabetes. It helps, but only to a limited extent, and mainly just with your morning fasting level. It certainly doesn't prevent high spikes after eating, and any high spikes may cause damage.

Do mention it to your clinician and ask him/her to do a proper foot check for sensation and pulse.
Thank you for your reply. This morning, I had breakfast (2 pieces of toast with Vegemite and a banana and a cup of tea - no sugar) at 9:40am and it's 11:22am and my reading is 6.2mmol/L When I see the clinician tomorrow, I'll ask lots of questions. I haven't had a diabetic review at all this year, as the nurse had left the practice. Some of this is my fault for being too complacent.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Unfortunately if the neuropathy is as is usual caused by damage to the nerves it is not guaranteed that it will get better even after reducing blood sugars I also was diagnosed after reporting a loss of sensation in feet and hands and even though I have achieved good control of blood sugars the loss of sensation still persists. I have an eye test booked for this afternoon and am hoping for an improvement in my retinopathy.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What are your triglycerides like? I went to the doctor with pain and numbness in my hands and feet, and the doctor said it was indicative of diabetes but largely due to triglycerides and hyperlipidemia. A few months later I did an Hb1Ac that came out as 6.0 fasting, and the same doctor revised his diagnosis to pre-diabetes, so my diabetic situation isn't quite like yours, but bringing my cholesterol numbers down really helped the neuropathy, so it *could* be a factor

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. This morning, I had breakfast (2 pieces of toast with Vegemite and a banana and a cup of tea - no sugar) at 9:40am and it's 11:22am and my reading is 6.2mmol/L When I see the clinician tomorrow, I'll ask lots of questions. I haven't had a diabetic review at all this year, as the nurse had left the practice. Some of this is my fault for being too complacent.

You did well to be 6.2mmol/l a couple of hours after all those carbs (toast and banana), but as both bread and bananas are fast release carbs you will most likely have been a lot higher within that 2 hours and on your way down. Next time you have that meal test before you eat and a few times after and see what happens.