Personal independence payment UK T1D

C

CelalDari

Does anyone have experience with claiming PIP for T1D?

Legally diabetes is considered a disability under some sort of disability equal rights act passed in UK (not sure on exact name).

I haven’t spotted a “diabetes complication” yet but I have never had a professional eye or foot check because I’m only 2 months into my diagnosis.

Although, there are so many daily difficulties that we T1 diabetics face and I think I can get it based on that as T1D is a life changing illness. Everything we do affects our blood sugar. A brief 10 minute walk to shops can bring my blood sugar up if it is sunny or down

Edited by moderator to remove inappropriate content

Last edited by a moderator:

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
T1D does not entitle you to PIP payments on its own, if it has caused complications which means you need daily help or something like that (I don't know the actual qualifying reasons, but just having something that is classed as a disability does not mean you will get it) you may be able to claim, but just T1 on its own does not qualify you for it at all.
Edit: T1 can be tough, it can most definitely be hard work, but that doesn't mean we get money from the government for it, we do however get free prescriptions,

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sharing a condition does NOT make us all the same so in my opinion it does not mean we are entitled to any form of PIP (Personal Independent Payment) as a matter of course. No matter what condition a person may have it affects us to differing degrees if at all. My view is if your condition is affecting your day to day activities, ie difficulty in preparing your meals, inability to bend down and tie your shoelaces, requiring 3rd party help to dress and so on then please make an application. If you accumulate enough 'points' then you may be entitled to a payment. I can almost guarantee you won't get it based on a 'life changing illness' unless that illness has changed your life to a disabling degree.

Reactions: jacquimac

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am not t1, being t2, I know I can change things and have done, have got some neuropathy.
I do claim PIP but for other reasons. Though am waiting to see if it's going to continue. I don't even put on the form that I am t2.
This is just my opinion, t1 can be managed if meds are taken correctly.
I know 2 people personally that have been t1 for years and both don't have anything wrong due to the diabetes.
PIP is for people that have illnesses that cause them to have alot of varying problems. PIP can be very hard to get x

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I am type 1 and have been for nearly 40 years I never received PIP payments until 2014 when I lost my leg below the knee.
I don’t think diabetes on its own is a reason for PiP , well it certainly wasn’t in my case

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I get PIP. I have problems walking, breathing and I'm partially sighted. On my first application to PIP I was declined because I wasn't ill enough. 'A brief ten minute walk' is something I'd love to be able to do.

I can pretty much guarantee the bureaucrats will read your application, laugh, put you on a year long waiting list for an assessment, and leave it at that. Sorry.

Cookiekeri

Legally diabetes is considered a disability under some sort of disability equal rights act passed in UK (not sure on exact name).

I haven’t spotted a “diabetes complication” yet but I have never had a professional eye or foot check because I’m only 2 months into my diagnosis.

Although, there are so many daily difficulties that we T1 diabetics face and I think I can get it based on that as T1D is a life changing illness. Everything we do affects our blood sugar. A brief 10 minute walk to shops can bring my blood sugar up if it is sunny or down

You’ll only be entitled to PIP if your T1D with complications ...
there’s many people out ther who work perfectly fine with diabetes and Go on To have healthy lives !! As you’ve mentioned you’ve only had diabetes for two months so atm your gonna be up and down with your blood sugars this will take a little time for your body to adjust and you’ll eventually be able to go back to work if you don’t get complications from having high or low sugars over time and not over a period of two months ... personally if I was you take time off work or give yourself time to get the feel of diabetes and try control your sugar levels as much as possible before returning to work but no I do not think your entitled to PIP at this moment In time

Janlovely

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate being idle
It’s so true that diabetics are difficult to get PIP. I was a living example, until I started having complications then I got qualified. Sad but true , bad things have to happen together with the diabetes before you can get a penny ! Good luck everyone:)

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad to hear you've recently been diagnosed with T1D.

PIP forms ask you to describe your difficulties in daily life in various ways and so, echoing others, a medical condition is not an entitlement. If you're not successful then I believe you may appeal and if you get an assessment you may talk them through your difficulties in your own words; the assessors will grade your difficulties against 12 criteria to decide on daily living difficulties and mobility difficulties.

I suggest going to the website and reading up on what DWP and a company called Independent Assessment Services say they do - you'll get the 12 points disclosed there I think. Then suggest a Tupe1 PIP search for Facebook Groups as folk discuss their experiences within it.

Hope that helps

Mat

Reactions: TriciaWs

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

Try this website, very helpful www.benifitsandwork.co.uk

• Agree
Reactions: lovinglife

mike1972

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had type 1 Diabetes Mellitus for 48 years and 6 months and I wasn’t able to get PIP till 2011 for my right ankle & leg which I had to have multiple surgeries for including two external fixators drilled into my right leg and ankle. I also have two four inch scars from surgeries as well as multiple plates and screws.
I also have stage 4 CKD which I have had for 21 years as well as advanced Diabetic Neuropathy and Retinopathy and Necropathy.
I also have carpal tunnel syndrome to both hands and arms and wrists cause from walking on crutches. I also have sleep Apnoea which is controlled by CPAP machine every night.
As I have chronic sleep Apnoea.
I also had a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage in 7th December 2021 and a hydrocephalus and Vasospasm followed by secondary stroke which gave me Aphasia & Dysarthria speech disorders after my Vasospasm.
I also had a shunt and ev drain drilled into my head as well.
So I get Higher rate for Care and higher rate for mobility as well.
I don’t think it’s to do with my diabetes but more to do with the other issues I have which is why I get PIP.